Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 01:45 PM

Default Can you carry a firearm on your boat in BC coastal water?

Had an interesting discussion today about this, did the 5 minute google search which of course brought up 285,955,106 USA opinions on the topic, but nothing cut and dry about Canada.
It was brought about talking about sealions stealing bait and catches. I suggested a slingshot, they preferred .308.

Anyone know facts on this?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 PM

Default i remember my uncle carrying a .22 on his boat for large halibut

But think seals and sealions have been protected for 50 years so I dont like your chances of using that for a reason to carry on boat.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Banned

Why not? Obey the basic firearms and wildlife act and don't cross into US waters. Pirates ya know
Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 PM

I just took non-restricted course not to long ago and our instructor told us that in Canada you can display a UNLOADED gun in your back window of your pickup, park, and walk down Jasper avenue with it as long as it’s not held in a threatening manner. Would this create a slight buzz? Yes lol but by law, you can carry a non restricted rifle with you in public. It’s when you leave the gun unattended and unlocked in plain sight is where the laws kick in. Without stating “why” you have it in your boat, legally you should be ok.
Please note I wouldn’t agree to walking around in public with one to be “that” guy.
If anyone has proof, such as written laws from the queens printer that say other wise please correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
I just took non-restricted course not to long ago and our instructor told us that in Canada you can display a UNLOADED gun in your back window of your pickup, park, and walk down Jasper avenue with it as long as it’s not held in a threatening manner. Would this create a slight buzz? Yes lol but by law, you can carry a non restricted rifle with you in public. It’s when you leave the gun unattended and unlocked in plain sight is where the laws kick in. Without stating “why” you have it in your boat, legally you should be ok.
Please note I wouldn’t agree to walking around in public with one to be “that” guy.
If anyone has proof, such as written laws from the queens printer that say other wise please correct me.

No laws, but public perception. Someone complains, the cops have to respond. I for one, don't like guns pointed at me.

Grizz
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Banned

Didn't we just discus this?

Of course you can have a gun on a boat. Same rules as in a truck.

Seal hunting would be a BAD IDEA.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Long gun is ok but I'm not sure about shooting seals, sea lions, trap thieves etc. unless you are FN . Do you have a treaty card/

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post

How do you get your gun from the gun shop after you buy it? Carry it down the street to your truck. Or walk home with it if you walked. Of course it’s legal.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
How do you get your gun from the gun shop after you buy it? Carry it down the street to your truck. Or walk home with it if you walked. Of course it’s legal.
They usually give you a bag, before you go out the door.

Grizz
Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They usually give you a bag, before you go out the door.

Grizz
Haha with these laws I’d rather openly carry my rifle down the street as opposed to having it in a case. Some new green cop might charge me with concealment.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Edit : wrong thread
Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Haha with these laws I’d rather openly carry my rifle down the street as opposed to having it in a case. Some new green cop might charge me with concealment.
My neighbors just accused me of shooting and burning their dog. Rcmp appoched me with AR15s or something like em pointed at me and told to lay on the ground. Even went as far as checking my burn barrels. .
True story just last week. Best part is they found the dog a few hrs later.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
My neighbors just accused me of shooting and burning their dog. Rcmp appoched me with AR15s or something like em pointed at me and told to lay on the ground. Even went as far as checking my burn barrels. .
Wait until your neighbor is having a social gathering like an outside bbq and accuse him of shooting and burning your dog. Tit for tat.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice neighbours!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I would be filing a formal complaint with the RCMP, and speaking to my lawyer about suing the neighbor.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would be filing a formal complaint with the RCMP, and speaking to my lawyer about suing the neighbor.
What on earth is suing the neighbor going to do??
Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The neighbor didn’t tell the police to draw on you and handle it the way they did. He probably only told them he suspects you harmed his dog. Maybe sue the police if anything. But good luck with that.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
What on earth is suing the neighbor going to do??
10 million and an apology maybe

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Pretty sure you can still club the pups tho
Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Had an interesting discussion today about this, did the 5 minute google search which of course brought up 285,955,106 USA opinions on the topic, but nothing cut and dry about Canada.
It was brought about talking about sealions stealing bait and catches. I suggested a slingshot, they preferred .308.

Anyone know facts on this?
Well GOOD SIR, you have come to the BEST SPOT on the internet to get your answer taken care of ... Best of Luck
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you weren't trying to FORCE your neighbour to help pay for a fence??
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You misspelled "appooched"!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I think us AOers should gofund you some CC cameras for your yard.....this just gets better and better.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

It’s an interesting question.

But would it not be Canada’s coastal waters?

Then I would assume the laws of the land applies to those waters.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Well GOOD SIR, you have come to the BEST SPOT on the internet to get your answer taken care of ... Best of Luck
I see opinions but no links on facts . The gubmint sure makes it easy for us.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Gillnetters always had a gun on board. Don't see why everyone else shouldn't be able to. They liked a 270, nice and flat shooting. I had a 22 in my boat. Out of sight of course. Only ever had a seal steal 1 fish in 10 years of salmon fishing. Remember you are not hunting right. SSS
Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see opinions but no links on facts . The gubmint sure makes it easy for us.
Ken.. Your just transporting. Same rules apply if your in a truck, a Vette or a quad.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ken.. Your just transporting. Same rules apply if your in a truck, a Vette or a quad.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.htm
Jamie Show me specifically where it says 'you can carry while on a boat in BC Coastal waters' and lunch is on me.

Again this is an opinion, if asked by the RCMP while on a boat why you have a firearm, you can not say 'coz I am transporting it'. Transporting it where? If you are going hunting where is the license, the lodge, etc etc etc etc.
If you say you are carrying it for protection you should expect a very lengthy delay.

I just want to read it somewhere in Canada specific regulations.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie Show me specifically where it says 'you can carry while on a boat in BC Coastal waters' and lunch is on me.

Again this is an opinion, if asked by the RCMP while on a boat why you have a firearm, you can not say 'coz I am transporting it'. Transporting it where? If you are going hunting where is the license, the lodge, etc etc etc etc.
If you say you are carrying it for protection you should expect a very lengthy delay.

I just want to read it somewhere in Canada specific regulations.
And I also can not show that you can carry directly on the Sheep River directly north of the Big rock.

As for you explaining it, thats up to you. You want to take a gun, take a gun. You stand up for what you believe. You don't have to explain to any cop why you have a gun with you. You could very well be target practising on a beach some place. Doesn't matter, but thats up to you.

Transportation is transportation.

Last edited by Jamie; 05-19-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 PM

I had a conversation with some fellows on CGN about having a gun on board my boat. So I phoned the CFO. The lady I talked to put me on hold for a few minutes and when she came back asked me for my name and number, then told me I would be contacted in 7 business days. I let 12 days go by and phoned them back. Was put on hold and after a bit this very official sounding women came on the line, was very pleasant and informed me that since I had a PAL if, and she emphasized ‘if’ I had any firearms as long as they weren’t restricted I could legally have them on my boat.
I then asked her if I lived on my boat could I have a pistol. She told that having a restricted on a live aboard is dealt with on a case by case basis. I didn’t ask anymore about it.
So with that I applied what ever I was doing to the situation.
If going out fishing I could take a firearm and apply transportation rules.
If I live on my boat I would follow the rules of living in a house.
I don’t have any links, just what the authorities told me. I know lots of guys that have guns on their boats and have never had any issues. I have seen guys walking down the fingers to their boats with uncased rifles in their hands that didn’t leave right away and no swat teams showed up.
I know that I can hunt and discharge a gun from my boat if I follow the rules as they are written in the hunting regulations.
Don’t what else I can say.

You may want to phone yourself for your own peace of mind.

You can buy me lunch when you get to Rupert.