Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Default "Practical vs "Cool" Firearms

Yesterday , we have a new shooter come out to shoot skeet with us. He was pleasant fellow,and he had a great time, but I cringed watching him shoot, because of the recoil and the noise. He was shooting a tactical style shotgun with a 14" barrel, and the recoil was significant, as was the noise. He told us that he had another shotgun, but it was an AR type shotgun with a scope mounted. He told us that he purchased both shotguns because they looked "cool". However, after shooting them a few times at stationary targets, the novelty had worn off, and he didn't shoot them often. He told us that he wanted to shoot more skeet, and get into hunting birds, but he now realized how impractical both shotguns were, and unfortunately, his firearms budget was spent for some time to come. I have noticed a lot of these types of new firearms showing up at the range over the past few years, and in most cases, the novelty wears off quickly, and the firearms are up for sale, or sit in a gun safe unused. I have purchased several firearms that I didn't get the use out of that I expected, but they were extras, that didn't prevent me from being able to purchase the firearms that I do use regularly. And I went through my gun room, and sold them all, re-investing in firearms that I use most. Just wondering how many people have purchased "cool" firearms that see little use, but they still own. I am not including the firearms that we keep for sentimental reasons, but then most of those were not purchased because they looked "cool".
Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Ruger mini 14, thought the stainless with an ATI stock would be a cool coyote gun until I put in on the bench...... sold it and figured a Benelli R1 was the answer..... nope. I found out then that I’m not into tactical cool guns, little groups is where it’s at.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:18 AM

Some of the firearnscand ammunition that companies market and people buy make one’s head spin .
What civilian actually needs a combination doors breacher / muzzle brake on a shotgun?!
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM

I succumbed to the “buy it because it’s cool” syndrome a few years ago and picked up a M1 Carbine which I consider to be a gentleman’s assault rifle. Although I agree with Kurt regarding small groups, the M1 sets that bar pretty high...no pressure ... love it.
OK maybe the holstered single action revolver makes me look like a cowboy.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM

A while ago I went through a phase of wanting double barreled hammer guns, because they were so cool. Cut one down to 19" just so in my mind I could walk down the streets of Tombstone with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. That gun is still very (cool) today. Hows that for a fantasy?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Dropped $1100 on one of these. Actually shoots pretty well, but with the many other Italian shotguns I have, she will be gathering dust.

https://deryaarms.com/en/tum-urunler...-mk-12-as-106s
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
A while ago I went through a phase of wanting double barreled hammer guns, because they were so cool. Cut one down to 19" just so in my mind I could walk down the streets of Tombstone with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. That gun is still very (cool) today. Hows that for a fantasy?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM

There is a place for both types of firearms in my safe its all fun if i was looking to be practical id have 3 rifles not ......... well i wont say lol
Old 12-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Depending on the shotgun it can fill a lot of roles. I have a 'tactical' 870 express that came with a 18.5 inch barrel and ghost ring sights. It's also threaded for chokes and has one of those goofy door breacher tubes. But it's cyl bore and sees some use. I also have a 14 inch barrel with a simple post sight I got from Dlask. And if I wanted to I could get a 26 or longer vent rib tube for birds or clays (I also have another 870 wing master to fill those roles).

That one shotgun could and has filled multiple roles from fun to functional very well. And although I do have other options, I wouldn't be hard up if I was stuck with just the one.

As for handguns, practical doesn't play quite as significant a role. Anything from a single action peacemaker to a fancy chrome alloy Sig or space age Sigourney Weaver looking Glock plays cool and functional. All in the eye of the beholder.

Colin
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
What civilian actually needs a combination doors breacher / muzzle brake on a shotgun?!
Cat
LOL thanks Cat, that one made me laugh.
I have one .. at least

OHHH JR Carbine in 9mm add to the list.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some of the firearnscand ammunition that companies market and people buy make one’s head spin .
Cat
I guess you've never locked the keys in the house and needed to get in? I always wondered what that was on the barrel of my goose gun.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I guess you've never locked the keys in the house and needed to get in? I always wondered what that was on the barrel of my goose gun.
HAHA!!
Cat
Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just wondering how many people have purchased "cool" firearms that see little use, but they still own..
-Ruger mini 14 (A-Team....)
-Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
-STI Grandmaster 38 super (just sold last week)
-Ruger SR22
-Dominion grizzly 8.5" mag fed shotgun
-Couple of the AR style shotguns .. can't think of which "ones" right now...
-RRA AR 15 I have never shot
-A couple of 1911's that never get used (One I have never used)

Probably a few more.

Is it a bad thing?