Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM

I personally know a few guys who leave the rifle at home and hunt general season with the bow until it becomes too cold to physically do so.....one of the biggest deer my buddy has ever seen came by his tree stand just out of bow range during general season.....the one day he wished he had his 300Wby with him instead of the bow.

Some guys hunt with the bow for the thrill, some for the longer seasons and added opportunity, some for the passion of the hunt and the challenge of getting a decent animal with the bow.

Some people just don't like to share.

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
favorite post in this thread, x1000

personal favorite part of it is this...

I hate to break it to you, but by bowhunting youre not doing anything special bud, any average monkey can go out bowhunting. It doesnt make you a hero
My favorite part of that is any average monkey can go out bow hunting........ except a xgun hunter.... hes still waiting for xguns to be included in the archery season.....Bwahahahaha

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM

WOW!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I personally know a few guys who leave the rifle at home and hunt general season with the bow until it becomes too cold to physically do so.....one of the biggest deer my buddy has ever seen came by his tree stand just out of bow range during general season.....the one day he wished he had his 300Wby with him instead of the bow.

Some guys hunt with the bow for the thrill, some for the longer seasons and added opportunity, some for the passion of the hunt and the challenge of getting a decent animal with the bow.

Some people just don't like to share.

LC
and herein lies the problem lefty. With the ABA it is less and less about sharing and promotion as it is segregation of its own members.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
My favorite part of that is any average monkey can go out bow hunting........ except a xgun hunter.... hes still waiting for xguns to be included in the archery season.....Bwahahahaha
Potty im throwing you a bone here ut repeatedly asking you to proivide a valid reason as to why including xbows into archery season would be detrimental to anything. You consistently use one arguement....that is the 'your equipment is not the proper year, make or model to enter my club". Provide some substance for once.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=pottymouth;1976180]and yes until I met you and you showed me how and it actually can be done, I didn't think you could shoot a bow from inside a truck... would argued that until I was blue in the face, if you hadnt showed me.
QUOTE]

lol potty, well ok, lets turn down this direction at this stage...so do tell why you have that 40" lift in your truck again? like being in a treestand perhaps

Joking aside i would like to see or even have described to me how a crossbow gets fired off in a truck without damaging truck or other occupants?, does it get hung way out the window so you might only smash a mirror with a limb worst case?, or does it ride in cab without passenger so you shoot it out passenger side only? assuming you'd need an extended cab so you didn't smash out the windshield and back window? I suspect you'd want as narrow a crossbow as possible for in vehicle work lol?? I have a much harder time visualizing how you'd let one go in a truck vs having an entire door gone and a seat which really isn't hard to compare to sitting in treestand as I've spent plenty of hours in both ha ha and always try and shoot left out of my treestand being a right handed bow guy...doesn't take a lot of thought to see similarity there but some people are good at looking at stuff and seeing how things would work...not just with hunting situations, had these weird defectionary scenerios never popped up on the earliest of crossbow inclusion threads I've read from all over the continent i'd never had to give trying to fire either one off from a vehicle any thought but after about 30 seconds i'm still a bit stumped how the crossbow would do it? mini-van with door open helicopter style maybe? driver with mobile sniper team?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
and herein lies the problem lefty. With the ABA it is less and less about sharing and promotion as it is segregation of its own members.
Why should they share... Their association, their rules...... Should pheasants forever share with sci Alberta ?

You guys are ridiculous ....
Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
[;1976180]and yes until I met you and you showed me how and it actually can be done, I didn't think you could shoot a bow from inside a truck... would argued that until I was blue in the face, if you hadnt showed me.
QUOTE]

lol potty, well ok, lets turn down this direction at this stage...so do tell why you have that 40" lift in your truck again? like being in a treestand perhaps

Joking aside i would like to see or even have described to me how a crossbow gets fired off in a truck without damaging truck or other occupants?, does it get hung way out the window so you might only smash a mirror with a limb worst case?, or does it ride in cab without passenger so you shoot it out passenger side only? assuming you'd need an extended cab so you didn't smash out the windshield and back window? I suspect you'd want as narrow a crossbow as
possible for in vehicle work lol?? I have a much harder time visualizing how you'd let one go in a truck vs having an entire door gone and a seat which really isn't hard to compare to sitting in treestand as I've spent plenty of hours in both ha ha and always try and shoot left out of my treestand being a right handed bow guy...doesn't take a lot of thought to see similarity there but some people are good at looking at stuff and seeing how things would work...not just with hunting situations, had these weird defectionary scenerios never popped up on the earliest of crossbow inclusion threads I've read from all over the continent i'd
never had to give trying to fire either one off from a vehicle but after about 30 seconds i'm still a bit stumped how the crossbow would do it? mini-van with door open helicopter style maybe? driver with mobile sniper team?
One guy did it by sitting behind the driver out the back window... The other was the driver out the passenger.... The third out the sun roof.....

And they were all reported.. Don't play dumb stinky...we've been through this... Face to face you agreed , and even figured out what it would take...... That's the same day you showed me how you can shoot your bow out your truck.....which was eye opening.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Those missing the point are those that think a Cross Bow is archery.

Pete
But...... it is ...... archery....... there I said it........simple fact stick and a string....... who cares if it has cams, a release,......a trigger........ it is still a stick propelled by the action of a string and a bow....... therefore archery (actually it is a pretty niffty improvement on traditional archery cause you don't have to stand there holding that silly arrow back for hours ......)

Apparently yes when a vote was held in Alberta the decision was made to not include the crossbow in the archery season...... (I would like to see more details about this vote since I never heard of it or voted) that does not by default change they way the world (except a few stubborn members here) defines what a crossbow is......... if you recall..... the vast majority of jurisdictions in the United States do consider them part of the archery season, so just because 30 or 40 people voted in Alberta against allowing them in the Archery only season does not automatically remove them from the list as a archery discipline.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Just tired of guys shooting xguns from inside their vehicles on private land... I was refering to comment on how you could care less if you ran into a guy xgun hunting. .. I generally would too , but each one I've ran into has been charged... and those are just the ones I've caught...

That's the only part you want to comment on, from that who post?
Iiiii'mmmm Baaaaack!
So you say that you seen three different offenders shooting crossbows from trucks not saying if they hit there intended target.
You say each one was charged which raises a red flag to me.
I have reported guys shooting rifles from trucks and the fish and wildlife officer did not show much interest because he can't do much without catching them red handed. And these days there spread out so thin there is many calls that are low present age of catching the guys in the act they pick and choose what they respond to. Now it's impressive that all three guys were charged and even more impressive that they let you know the outcome because I have never received a call back. So your statement is that crossbows are bad because poachers use them well I hate to break it to you there is much more efficient weapons to poach with. Did you see any one shooting a rifle out of there truck because as is the truth that is much more common to see as there is a huge amount of rifle hunters as compared to cross bow hunters?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
You guys are ridiculous ....
how do two groups of hunters get to feeling the same way about each others stance on a subject?

in all fairness to the thread where everyone has a little more fun than in person, i'll usually see potty a couple times a season and once in awhile we will chat but its not like the jabbing we do on the forums of course and really its only this one topic we don't see eye to eye on, this topic I don't think we'd ever bring up in person as we both know where we stand and there are more important things to talk about ie; the crap we are hunting at the moment we see each other drive by or whatever
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM

I dont think they should be in archery season. They have stocks, dont have to be drawn, and people mount scopes on them. Whats wrong with hunting during the regular season?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
But...... it is ...... archery....... there I said it........simple fact stick and a string....... who cares if it has cams, a release,......a trigger........ it is still a stick propelled by the action of a string and a bow....... therefore archery (actually it is a pretty niffty improvement on archery cause you don't have to stand there holding that silly arrow back for hours ......)

Apparently yes when a vote was held in Alberta the decision was made to not include the crossbow in the archery season...... (I would like to see more details about this vote since I never heard of it or voted) that does not by default change they way the world (except a few stubborn members here) defines what a crossbow is......... if you recall..... the vast majority of jurisdictions in the United States do consider them part of the archery season, so just because 30 or 40 people voted in Alberta against allowing them in the Archery only season does not automatically remove them from the list as a archery discipline.

It was all over AO, and way more than 40 people....

A bow has to be drawn , held and fired with muscle power, without a locking mechanism.... Xguns don't , so they aren't bows... Defined by the regs...

Alberta's diversity and hunting should never be compared to the states.... What works somewhere else might not work here...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:

A bow has to be drawn , held and fired with muscle power, without a locking mechanism.... Xguns don't , so they aren't bows... Defined by the regs...

Alberta's diversity and hunting should never be compared to the states.... What works somewhere else might not work here...
Agreed
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Awesome how did you make out?

LC
Almost had a shot at a whitetail buck. Had him at about 55 yards but he busted me before he got close enough. Fun though, had my heart pumping pretty good. I also went out in the foothills season with the BP. same thing. But, the fun is in the hunt not the kill.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Why do the crossbow guys want to hunt during the archery season so badly?

That's what I want to know

If it is all about the hunt then they should be ok with being able to hunt all of general season.

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
One guy did it by sitting behind the driver out the back window... The other was the driver out the passenger.... The third out the sun roof.....

And they were all reported.. Don't play dumb stinky...we've been through this... Face to face you agreed , and even figured out what it would take...... That's the same day you showed me how you can shoot your bow out your truck.....which was eye opening.
sunroof, brilliant, didn't see that one, not as sharp as I thought I guess, surprised its that eye opening, sit in your truck and open the door with a bow in your hand....we have never shot together from recollection so very curious about this, did we put out a target or something? where was this? and when? or just demonstrate sitting in truck and opening my door?, seriously, not denying it due to memory but don't remember any of this...we actually talked about this topic face to face? dang, is my memory really is as terrible as wife says?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:

When did this vote take place? What were the final #'s ?

Absolutely wrong....... for a tool to be used in the general archery season to shoot an arrow at a big game animal it has to fit the description above...... that is all period. It does not make a tool that doesn't fulfill these requirements any less of a BOW........ any more then a caliber of less then .23 makes a rifle a non-rifle..... just one that is not legal to use to hunt big game.

Sometimes it's like I am trying to explain something to my 5 year old with you......
Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Xguns are not allowed in the archery season, because they are not archery equipment. Voted by Albertans... end of discussion.
When did this referendum take place and how? I'm unaware of it. More info please?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM

People whom are disabled can hunt with a crossbow in archery season. I think most bowhunters have no problem with this. If yer fit and able to draw a bow back whats the problem?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:

That's what I want to know

If it is all about the hunt then they should be ok with being able to hunt all of general season.

LC
The better question is why wouldn't you want to hunt in archery season with archery equipment?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
sunroof, brilliant, didn't see that one, not as sharp as I thought I guess, surprised its that eye opening, sit in your truck and open the door with a bow in your hand....we have never shot together from recollection so very curious about this, did we put out a target or something? where was this? and when? or just demonstrate sitting in truck and opening my door?, seriously, not denying it due to memory but don't remember any of this...we actually talked about this topic face to face? dang, is my memory really is as terrible as wife says?
No shooting, just talked about it. You showed me in front of the archery range.. No bow in hand... But visualization and great acting on your demonstration on your part..... It was eye opening..
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Why not? At the min it can be looked in regard to impact on herd sizes etc. I'm not saying "hey let's look at Texas or Louisiana".....Let's not forget that there are a number of states right next to Alberta with very similar topography as well as herds of wild animals that migrate back and forth. Why invent the wheel all over every time when there may already be some well researched info avail...... unless of course it doesn't support your argument, cause then it would be meaningless.......
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM

From what I understand the "poll or vote" was held via email, sent out to those registered at the AlbertaRELM site, at the time the question was asked.

I do not recall receiving it either, I remember having a chat with TJ (sheephunter) on the forum and that is how he said it was done.

At the end of hunting season 2010 or 2011 there was a hunter survey sent out to Alberta RELM users. The last question had to do with if you were in favor of having a special crossbow season before the regular rifle season.

The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
When did this referendum take place and how? I'm unaware of it. More info please?
It was in your hunter survey a couple years back. It was one of the last questions...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:

LC
Why not? Personally I don't have the time nor skill set to get good with a bow, but I sure could with a cross bow. So because I am a busy guy I get excluded from the easy warm early season??

Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It was in your hunter survey a couple years back. It was one of the last questions...
Don't recall it, but OK. Like "Do you favour allowing cross bows in Archery Season? Yes or No?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Why not? Personally I don't have the time nor skill set to get good with a bow, but I sure could with a cross bow. So because I am a busy guy I get excluded from the easy warm early season??

LOL, I think Potty will want to hug you now

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:

The same argument could be made about hunting at night.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
But...... it is ...... archery....... there I said it........simple fact stick and a string....... who cares if it has cams, a release,......a trigger........ it is still a stick propelled by the action of a string and a bow....... therefore archery (actually it is a pretty niffty improvement on traditional archery cause you don't have to stand there holding that silly arrow back for hours ......)

Another "exactly" from me...we need another Alberta vote and see where the dust settles... and then we can all and hunt in harmony