Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I hear u, sometimes the ignorance just gets too much...problem was opening the thread in first place, don't open but it's been awhile and this time of year dry for knowledge lol, yup nothing new in thread, same circle every time. A perfectly good tool without a proper home, and loss to Alberta residents because of it, because of selfishness and likely combined with fair bit of ignorance but my bet is mostly selfishness.
By selfishness, you mean the xgun hunters trying to get a piece of the action , especially on the coat tails of organizations like the ABA....

Either way, a dumb fight.. The majority of Alberta residents voted, and voted NO to xguns!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM

How many people voted? Majority of Albertans? Highly doubt it...

LS
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
xgun hunters
Potty??? Xgun?????? LOL twisting language to creat an impact. X-gun? that's like calling everything black an "assault rifle". "well, it sorta looks like a gun... sorta..."

Granted a cross-bow isn't exactly like a bow, not as challenging. I will give you that. But if a bow is at #1 on the 1-10 scale and a high powered center fire is at #10, where is the cross-bow? You would have people believe it's an 8. It's a 3 or 4, max. A muzzle loader is a 8.

Come back and talk x-guns when they are successfully making 300 yard shots.

Last edited by Okotokian; 05-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
By selfishness, you mean the xgun hunters trying to get a piece of the action , especially on the coat tails of organizations like the ABA....

Either way, a dumb fight.. The majority of Alberta residents voted, and voted NO to xguns!
You sir are a perfect example of what the ABA stands for Arrogance Before Archery. Maybe we shouldn't separate any seasons and just have any weapon from sept 1 to nov 31. Or just ban archery from rifle season. Or put everything on draw so you can only hunt in the zone you draw for. But I wouldn't vote for that because I don't think limiting opportunity is a good idea.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Join the aba great organization do great things for BOWHUNTING!!
Yup, and only bowhunting. That's the problem with the ALBERTA BOWHUNTER'S ASSOCIATION, they are only concerned with one thing and one thing only when it comes to hunting. ABA would take as much as they could away from any other hunter if they could. Kinda like TROUT UNLIMITED (TU). They would turn all of our lakes into Catch and Release trout fisheries if they could. At least with an organization like PETA you know that they'll try to restrict your hunting and fishing rights and you can see them coming. No thanks, I don't want any part of any of those organizations, thank you very much.

And if you think that I'm wrong just read the posts on AO from the representatives of both organizations......BRUTAL!

Chew on that for awhile.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Stupid argument. I feel dumber for having read it and responded.

Put the whole flipping thing on the draw and get rid of the multi-season option. That is, you only hunt archery or rifle, not both.

No more interest in crossbows.

I could support allowing crossbows for hunting white tailed deer during the archery season.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Potty??? Xgun?????? LOL twisting language to creat an impact. X-gun? that's like calling everything black an "assault rifle". "well, it sorta looks like a gun... sorta..."

Granted a cross-bow isn't exactly like a bow, not as challenging. I will give you that. But if a bow is at #1 on the 1-10 scale and a high powered center fire is at #10, where is the cross-bow? You would have people believe it's an 8. It's a 3 or 4, max. A muzzle loader is a 8.

Good point.

But I would say a recurve would be a 1 and the new compounds would be higher... Maybe even a 5, don't know..... Just saying. what say you Potty?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, and only bowhunting. That's the problem with the ALBERTA BOWHUNTER'S ASSOCIATION, they are only concerned with one thing and one thing only when it comes to hunting. ABA would take as much as they could away from any other hunter if they could. Kinda like TROUT UNLIMITED (TU). They would turn all of our lakes into Catch and Release trout fisheries if they could. At least with an organization like PETA you know that they'll try to restrict your hunting and fishing rights and you can see them coming. No thanks, I don't want any part of any of those organizations, thank you very much.

And if you think that I'm wrong just read the posts on AO from the representatives of both organizations......BRUTAL!

Chew on that for awhile.
K. Show me a post from an `actual representative` (as in executive).....I`m not one..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
K. Show me a post from an `actual representative` (as in executive).....I`m not one..
LOL......Nice quick edit. I guess that the light went on after you posted eh?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 PM

Awe heck. I give up.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
But I would say a recurve would be a 1 and the new compounds would be higher... Maybe even a 5, don't know..... Just saying. what say you Potty?
good point. Perhaps give the bowhunting season to the guys that hunt with spears. that's WAY more challenging than a compound bow.

Look, there's a part of me that says "a tag is a tag. give them out and let people use whatever weapon they want. No special privileges for those that hunt with a string." but I do understand that a bow hunter probably has a lower chance of success than a rifle hunter. I don't begrudge a bow season. I just get P.O.'ed at the arrogance of some bow hunters here that THEIR season should never be darkened by anyone else.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
good point. Perhaps give the bowhunting season to the guys that hunt with spears. that's WAY more challenging than a compound bow.

Look, there's a part of me that says "a tag is a tag. give them out and let people use whatever weapon they want. No special privileges for those that hunt with a string." but I do understand that a bow hunter probably has a lower chance of success than a rifle hunter. I don't begrudge a bow season. I just get P.O.'ed at the arrogance of some bow hunters here that THEIR season should never be darkened by anyone else.

Well said and I agree totally.

Now where is the ASA (Alberta spear association) when we need them.

LS
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Nope just wanted to be specific.....I`m an analytical.

Show me the posts.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
LOL Easy there Dave. I rethink half of my posts after I cool down.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps give the bowhunting season to the guys that hunt with spears.
Someone would just invent something with pulleys for let-offs and it wouldn't be considered spear hunting anymore. Then the ASA (Alberta Spearhunters Association) would have to make sure that they couldn't use them during the spear season.

Wait a minute......the ABA considers compound bows with pulleys for let-offs bows..........

Let's face the facts, the ABA was so against including crossbows into archery only season because they scared the members by telling them that everything would go to draw. Everything else is just fluff.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:

There are no special privileges, except having the privilege to hunt. We are all hunters. Pick up a bow and go hunt. The selfishness others speak of is just so much tripe, they would rather see the world burn than pick up a bow themselves. Not interested or ambitious enough to do it themselves, they would rather we all lose. It doesn't affect "me".....how many times have I heard that apathetic, unconcerned, slothful, lifeless, neglectful..............attitude. If hunters who think other hunters who use a bow are elite........it's only because they fail to rise to the occasion themselves. Showing resentment...............is pure jealousy. I have no problem with handicapped or senior outdoorsmen using a crossbow any time of the year. I own one myself and use it in the general season. There is no comparison between using my crossbow and recurves, longbows, compounds. Sit in a tree or in a blind with a cocked, scoped crossbow...................if you do not kill the animal you shoot at, everytime, you shoud reconsider your hunting pastime. It gets even better when you mount a bipod underneath it. The archery season is just fine as it stands.............call me elite lol.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
There is no comparison between using my crossbow and recurves, longbows, compounds. Sit in a tree or in a blind with a cocked, scoped crossbow...................if you do not kill the animal you shoot at, everytime, you shoud reconsider your hunting pastime.
So how many animals have you taken with a crossbow?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
You sir are a perfect example of what the ABA stands for Arrogance Before Archery. Maybe we shouldn't separate any seasons and just have any weapon from sept 1 to nov 31. Or just ban archery from rifle season. Or put everything on draw so you can only hunt in the zone you draw for. But I wouldn't vote for that because I don't think limiting opportunity is a good idea.
I've never been part of the Aba, and never will be part of them! All for my own reasons....so I could care less .

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:

x-gun / crossbow , ... world record snow goose/ swan ....... whats the difference...lmao

Never said they shoot 300 yards, actually make an attempt to follow along !

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-22-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake side View Post
Xgun this...xgun that.... There is no such thing. It a crossbow.

You have my vote for dumbest post so far.

BTW...where are the numbers on the poll? Just because it wasn't passed doesn't mean the vote turned out that way.

LS
I'm sorry, I didn't realize your vote counted for anything...who are you again?

going fishing here...lol
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 AM

Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 AM

Nova Scotia, Kansas, Oklahoma & Texas are already allowing crossbows during archery. Inclusion of crossbows into the archery fold will keep hunters in the game longer and get youth interested.

I wish Saskatchewan and Alberta would get on board with the program. Even Québec has allowed crossbows during archery since 2008.

Here's a list of places that permit crossbows during archery:

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/Cro...egulations.asp

Dan
Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I've never been part of the Aba, and never will be part of them! All for my own reasons....so I could care less .
Sorry you speak so highly of them I thought you knew what they were about.
I thought about joining them once and then the guy opened his mouth and stuck his foot in it and I said no thanks it's not for me.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
So how many animals have you taken with a crossbow?
Two whitetails in the "General Season". It was too easy. You don't get busted drawing on them, you do not have to concern yourself with bulky clothing like you would with a bow, scope them way before they come into range, pull the trigger when they present the best profile. I could not ever imagine missing. Similar to using a scoped rifle at 50< yards. You could double that if you have your scope set up for it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What I was getting at was people that impose that sort of behavior on others are not very good mentors and it is usually brought on by a high sense of self worth as so to speak.
Lefty you have not been very clear on where you stand on the crossbow in archery season other than what the regs state.
Suppose SRD changed the definition of archery to include crossbows and allowed it in archery season would you tell people not to use crossbows because it is an unfair advantage or would you take the new changes in grace?
Not trying to be a smart guy just an honest question.
I think your question here is a good one. I follow the rules and regulations to a tee. The last thing I want to do is lose my hunting privileges, they mean to much to me. That being said I am a rifle hunter, and a bow hunter. I also own a cross bow that I would like to use in the archery season when I felt like it. I also think that I am not alone in my way of thinking.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Well said Oko. People are always going to try and extend the range of the weapons they hunt with. I don't believe in long shots, I like my range to be one that I know where the projectile I am shooting is going to hit. I know guys that practice and shoot their compounds at 70 and 80 yards. Even some of the 3 D shoots have that 80 yard novelty shot at an elk or moose at 80 yards. When I was on the executive of the club I did my best to talk them into not having the long shot. I always like the realistic hunting shots in the 3 D shoots.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
What I was getting at was people that impose that sort of behaviour on others are not very good mentors and it is usually brought on by a high sense of self worth as so to speak.
Lefty you have not been very clear on where you stand on the crossbow in archery season other than what the regs state.
Suppose SRD changed the definition of archery to include crossbows and allowed it in archery season would you tell people not to use crossbows because it is an unfair advantage or would you take the new changes in grace?
Not trying to be a smart guy just an honest question.
If changes were made I would likely still hunt with a compound bow over a crossbow.....for my style of hunting a compound works well (I hunt mostly from the ground and I am not really fond of sitting in tree stands).

Provided it is legal I don't tell people what to do....they can choose for themselves.

LC
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Default ???? Cross Gun????

Quote:
Just some, not all, the reasons why I hate Xguns

1. I've reported 3 people poaching with them..( firing from inside the truck)

2. People think they can shoot 100 yards ( don't try to convince them other wise)

3. Huge advantage in the prone/ready position, compared to bows.

4. Can hold in the loaded position all day

5. Newbie's, don't take the same time and pride in sighting them in ( Great entertainment at the archery shops)

To the average person, a bolt from a Xgun , looks much like an arrow. Any game wounded by xguns, that makes the news ( around populated cities) The headlines will never read Xgun bolt in Bunny...........

It's not the influx of people that scares bowhunters BuckCuller.......If that was true, bowhunters wouldn't be promoting people to pick up a bow and get out . They wouldn't be as forth coming with help , tips and even mentoring as a vast majority are...

It's the animals IMO that have the most to lose..... and in zones like the Bowzones and the open prairie zones especially..JMO

But for now they are illegal in the achery season, and that makes me happy! Except all the guys with the fake doctors notes, from their doctor friend...like my FIL's Buddy's
What is this crossgun you speak of??? I believe the debate here is about a thing called a Crossbow as define by the original poster, and reiterated by Keg....
"A crossbow is a weapon consisting of a bow mounted on a stock "

as far as my limited knowledge goes a gun shoots a projectile via an explosive reaction, where a bow fires a projectile via a string and the spring action of the bow itself........

Maybe you should start another thread to discuss this crossgun thingy you are talking about and perhaps include a picture for those of us not familiar with it???

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This taken from the regs explains it perfectly.....

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.)

....key phrase: HELD, DRAWN AND RELEASED BY MUSCULAR POWER.

A crossbow does not meet the requirement above....therefore not considered "archery equipment".....keep in mind regulations are not written in a fashion that they need to be "read into" to be understood.

LC
For you dakoda,

Seeing as its only allowed in the GUN season and not the bow season... I named it what it should be called...

I hope you don't need pics for everything in life.... it could get silly in the bedroom if you did... or maybe you do?