Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Plastic Marten box modifications

Just was wondering if anyone with plastic marten boxes modify them?

Picked up some new boxes and the trap seems loose on a vertical set. Seen some that were drill for support sticks, pro's and cons of this?

If you do drill them for the sticks how far from the front of the box and edge of the box do you drill them?

Thanks for your input

TE

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Thunder, I pre drill holes to mount in any position with 2 holes for nails that also support the 120, then bend the springs away from the tree. I also bend those 2 spikes outward to discourage weasels from going around the trap.
I heard that Busby might get the internet soon , good luck, and say hello to the young fella.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:09 PM

I just use as is. Bend springs away from tree and will hold trap in place. I use leaning pole. Tie trap above box and to remove marten, just lower pole away from tree to height that you can reach, remove marten and reset and slide it back up the tree and done. Marten hangs below the box and away from tree safe from predators and pine pitch.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Reason I like wood boxes, can lock springs in slots on high angle or vertical mounts. However they do not do as well with bears and wolverine that think they need to destroy boxes.
Stiffer walls on plastic boxes would help but then need more polymer resin and would increase costs.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:37 PM

These green plastic 120 and 160 boxes that when used in a tree whether it is a leaning pole etc. What are some ideas to secure the bait inside? Right now I wire a piece using the holes in the back, or a long screw coming up from the bottom, that sometimes get loose and falls out. Any other ideas that you guys are using?

I drill a hole in the bottom front for a screw and I use the plumbing banding that is 1/2 or 3/4 with holes and attach to the back, then I can bend it out and put a screw through it to the tree. flexible so it does not effect stacking.

Last edited by kritz; 11-09-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 PM

I cut my bait in roughly 6 inch chunks. Take a Looped piece of string and loop it around the meat and freeze. When time comes to use it, put meat in box with loose end of loop pushed thru centre hole, stick twig thru loop and it will stay in place. I usually dip twig in lure before putting it thru string.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:46 AM

I like making small baskets with 1/2 inch square wire. Complete box around beaver meat. I then wire it to back of marten/fisher box. Ermine will still try to pull it loose and drag it through the trap. However keeps most of the bait in box longer.