Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 11:05 AM

Default 22 ammo flyers

Using 22 cci standard. 50y no wind. Best Five shot group 1/4” worst group 5/8”
On the groups that are bigger it is usually one bullet that ruins the group.
It seems like 10% of the ammo shoots different. I’ve tried a lot of different ammo At this point I might be at the best it can get.
Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM

Standard .22 ammo is going to be full of flyers due to the mediocre quality control. If you want better groups you have to move up to match ammo starting with SK and going up to Lapua and Eley. Even then you are going to get flyers unless you test several or many different Lot #’s to find the one Lot that your rifle likes best.
Those are some pretty good groups from CCI SV. That’s about as good as it gets with standard ammo IMO.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:12 PM

I have about six different types of match ammo to try. Maybe 5/8” groups including all flyers is good enough. It’s fun trying.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:40 PM

It’s all kinds of fun shooting .22. Once you are getting some decent groups that you like at 50 then try stepping it out to 100/200 and even 300. That really tells the tale of how well the ammo/rifle is holding up. I’ve had some match ammo that would shoot right around .300 consistently at 50 but would barely stay on a 12” target at 100.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM

Ya it fun my girlfriend comes out too. I’ve gone out to 200 y. But I don’t like the wind. I’m trying to find the accuracy of the guns not how far the wind blows the bullet. We have been doing some 100y when it’s calm. One thing is I need two sets of targets one for bolt and one for semis. The semi groups are twice as big.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:02 PM

I don’t run any semi-autos myself but that would seem normal vs a good bolt action unless it’s a custom of some sort. A general guideline I use for ammo testing is if it shoots in the .3’s at 50 that should get me about 1 - 1.2” at 100 and about 3x3 at 200, 9x9 at 300 if it’s good conditions and I am reading the wind properly. .22’s are highly wind sensitive so it’s hard to get those perfect conditions at longer ranges.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:27 PM

I have shot thousands of 22lr rounds through semis, bolts, and levers with irons, peeps, scopes..ect
First off even expensive rounds can be spotty w fliers. Just your group agg is opened up proportionately. Ie cheap ammo might make a .5" group with a flier opening it to 5/8 where some match eley might put 4 into a ragged hole then open up to 1/4"...
I have weight sorted, and rim sorted. Generally weight sorting resulted in more noticeable precision gain. However with certain brands rim sorting gave great results. After sorting shoot in batches and your golden.
The other issue I have run into( scoped rifles) is parallax. It definitely matters. Especially when shooting closer range groups..20,30,40 50 yds ect. I only run scopes that have adjustable parallax down to 10 yds now.
22lr are great fun and it's hard to beat a fun time shooting tiny groups, banging on the shooting tree against another shooter, or playing golf, or even wacking steel way out there..extra large old cookie sheets are great fun to smack @4-500 yds.
Shooting CF is a great time but it's hard to wipe the smile off my face after spending some time with a good ol 22lr.
Sounds like your having a great time. Enjoy
Old 10-13-2021, 02:09 PM

Maybe it was 4 flyers each time

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM

The biggest variable in static testing of .22LR ammo is the crimp , and can only be done by destructive testing- pulling the bullet and measuring the tension .
When lots are tested, this is mainly what is checked, then test firing .
The difference in the various boxed match ammo, for example, Eley Club, Match and Tennex , would be the crimp consistency .
Cat
Old 10-13-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Maybe it was 4 flyers each time

Ouch. Hahaha
Old 10-13-2021, 07:08 PM

Great info. Thanks everyone.
I’m going to play with the rig I have and see how it goes. Might take a year to understand it. I just put a 4x12 with side parallax and that helped a lot.
The cci quite don’t seem very accurate. I’m going to test them too.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Great info. Thanks everyone.
I’m going to play with the rig I have and see how it goes. Might take a year to understand it. I just put a 4x12 with side parallax and that helped a lot.
The cci quite don’t seem very accurate. I’m going to test them too.

Do you shoot a CZ by chance? If so i might get it checked out. I've owned roughly a dozen and have never come across one that didn't like CCI reg velocity 36 gr hps.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:59 PM

Personally I use to test ammo at 25,50,75,100 yards it was a total waste of time and ammo. I only test my rimfire loads now at 100 yards saving both time and money.

My CZ's love CCI mini mags for gopher hunting. So far Eley green box for paper punching. Still want to try some of the higher end Lapua stuff but a $25-30 bucks a box I am scared it may work too well and I will go broke.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:04 AM

As was mentioned to the OP, his results are pretty good for CCI SV.

Generally speaking, with 22 ammo, you get what you pay for. CCI SV is okay but if you jump up to ammo that is in the $9-10/ box range your results should improve. Make another jump up in price and you should see still smaller groups.

A person's rifle can certainly be a limiting factor. Shooting Tenex in a poor quality rifle isn't necessarily going to give you better results. Like they say, you can't put lipstick on a pig.

This summer I tested quite a bit of mid range Euro ammo in one of my CZ's and a T1X. If things settle down here, I'll post the results after hunting season.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 PM

Ha!!! Four flyers. Still giggling over that one.

I found that fouling rounds help, as well, if you are trying different ammo in succession.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:07 AM

I have posted this target before, but to me it is a very clear illustration of just how different various loads of normal ammo shoots out of one gun. This CZ 452 clearly likes the Champion but even Champion throws the odd flyer but at $3/50 it is pretty darn good. Target was shot at 50 yards. What you get with 15-25 dollar ammo is no flyers, but unless you are shooting competition it is completely irrelevant.