Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Sit on Top Fishing Kayaks

Hello Everyone,
So I am looking at buying either a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL or a Wilderness Tarpon 105 fishing kayak. To those of you who fish or have fished out of a fishing kayak i have a question.
1. Do you find them safe and stable on the water, even in a little chop or larger waves? How would you compare them to a canoe for stability?

Been watching YouTube videos and it seems guys are always commenting on flipping or falling out of there kayaks. I assume its because they aren't being safe or paying attention. I am down sizing from a fishing boat to a fishing kayak so I am not a newbie when it comes to being on the water by any means. But am a newbie in the world of fishing kayaks.

Thank you to all in advance for your advice and answers.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Like you know all vessels have limitations. I currently run a Pelican Strike 120X Angler and have been out on Cold Lake many time catching lakers. Big water with potential to have good size waves too....been caught in 2' waves white capping and wind but managed easily enough by not going out to far as the forecast indicated the wind will pick up. In this yak I sit low and the waves occasionally broke over the front and washed right by me....refreshing...was out at ethal lake and all hell broke loose but hugged the shoreline and made my way back in...I always wear a life jacket, carry an extra paddle and everything is secure to the yak in case I roll over....I even now have a leg strap that you see paddle boarders use that is attached to one ankle in case the yak does roll at least my gear is attached to the yak and the yak to me.....oh and many people don't practice this but take your new yak out and intentionally flip it and practice getting back in and sorted out...too many kayakers that I occasionally chat with never even tried this and when they did they all said not that easy but good to know how just in case....both the yaks you are looking at are very capable yaks just comes down to your preference...good luck! Ohhh and it is addictive too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-05-2021, 09:38 AM

A good fishing kayak will blow the doors off of a canoe when it comes to stability. Yes you can fall off or flip and in general, it is a wetter ride but for me, stability has never been an issue. On a hot day, I can sit sideways on my kayak and hang my feet in the water to cool off.

Mostly it's a pretty extreme case for a flip, this past east slope a guy flipped but he got hit with a big wake just as he had his back turned trying to get a stuck anchor loose. The other time I was at Nootka Sound and a guy in a sit-in set the hook on a chinook but he had the rod 90 degrees off the side and he flipped right there.

BUT that said the smart guy expects to flip, so their boat is set up to keep your gear and you safe. That way if you flip you don't lose your gear or die.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:36 AM

The wife and I both got hobbie compass kayaks this spring and they are great. I fish mostly large lakes so I have had them in decent chop. I have not been brave enough to stand up with mine but likely could easily. They are more stable then canoes but when it’s choppy you don’t stay as dry

We enjoy them enough that I will likely sell my big boat in the spring
Old 10-06-2021, 08:28 AM

I have an Ascend FS12T from Basspro. Normally use it for the smaller lakes where the big boat is not allowed. However I have used it in bigger waters and got caught when the wind picked up. but never a problem, just harder to paddle against a head wind and 1 ft waves. Very stable, and not worried about tipping. If you take a look at the bottom, mine is shaped similar to an M instead of being round like a regular yak. I too have most of my stuff tied in just in case.
When I first got it, I actually got rigged up in my wetsuit, life jacket, and went out to practice tipping over. It was almost impossible to tip, and actually took quite a bit of effort to do it on purpose. Flipping it upright and climbing back in was actually easy. I'm sure the people on shore were wondering WT* is that guy doing, but......I wanted the experience when or if I ever did go over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10039.jpg (99.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:33 AM

I have a Pelican 120 NXT and love it. I use it on rivers and will spend a night or 2 on the water. Very stable and go through small rapids bouncing around boulders and around log jams really well. There are 2 sitting levels on it and for these rivers, I set it on the lowest level for more stability. I have owned it for 4 years and never fell into the water yet and I feel confident. I have done these trips in a canoe before and felt unstable a lot in the same conditions.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Stopping for a soggy sammich!!!

Other than all the precautions you can take I fly the Canadian flag at the end of my spare 7’ rod just so I can be seen….been that boat coming in and a yak pops up and then disappears in the waves so that little added precaution to be seen may prevent a incident from happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-06-2021, 02:10 PM

I fish out of a Jackson Kilroy and love it. It's a modified sit-in as opposed to a sit on top kayak. The cockpit is huge, unlike some of the other sit-in kayaks.

I think it is a lot more stable than a sit-on-top. It's made to stand in and sight fish. I got a lot of looks the first time I launched from the boat docks on Glenmore Res. I walked right off the dock onto the kayak, and then sat down.

It's a bit of a beast to paddle, but it has lots of options and can be configured a lot of different ways. The version I have comes with removable front and back panels. I usually leave them off unless I'm fishing. I've had kids and dogs sit in front lots of times and there's still enough room.

I've never even come close to tipping it, and I'm not sure I even could if it was loaded up.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:05 PM

I have a Perception Pescador Pro 12 and after sitting in a few others, I really like it.

https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/...scador-pro-120

Rigged it out with a RAM mount for the Lowrance, scotty rod holders, milk crate for stuff and a Werner Skagit paddle.

Paddles like a battleship, can take some pretty good weather and is incredibly stable.

Opened up a whole new world of fishing for me! Can tow the travel trailer and bring the kayaks, wife has a Necky 12'. I fish and she paddles around.

Cheers

SS
Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 AM

A kayak is super stable and a much better option if you're looking for stability. I would take a kayak in rough conditions but I wouldn't do it on a canoe. Its difficult to intentionally flip. If you're leaned over too far and your head is hanging over the kayak and not in the center plus a wave its you at the same time then you could flip. Keep your weight centred and you will be fine.

Had a buddy launch his kayak on the surf not long ago. Wave flipped him over but he got back on and caught a 25lb halibut on the kayak right after. Its a blast! This was on an oldtown sportsman 120 pdl
I have pedalled my kayak upstream against current on the NSR, big lakes and small lakes, plus the ocean. It does it all.

I currently use an OldTown Bigwater 132 and my wife mainly uses the 106 PDL

I used to have a perception pescador pilot 12 (sold)
I also have jackson kayak big tuna parked in the garage

Any choice you make you wont regret it.
Get the boat that best fits your fishing style based on waterbody type and size ect.

This is me from a few days ago.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 AM

I'll be the odd man out. I had a fishing kayak, a Pelican something or other. Took it out 2 times, then sold it. I hated it. Seating position was lousy, gear and tackle storage were a hassle, anchoring was a pain in the arse, it was constantly rocking and shifting of balance was required, virtually impossible to maintain a tight line due to drifting.

My 12ft jon boat or Fish Cat Cougar pontoon boat are way better, set up in the same or less time and offer more flexibility. Hell, even my Fish Cat Fat Cat v-boat is better if you remove the speed advantage a kayak gives you. Maybe a more expensive kayak with foot pedal propulsion would be better but I just don't see the attraction to fishing from a kayak.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:34 AM

I guess it really depends on what your in to. I fish out of a canoe regularly. Yes they can be a bit under stable at times. I can stand in mine for sight fishing. I can carry all the gear you want and a cooler. You can take enough gear for overnight trips if your into that. You can throw on a trolling motor if you want. You can take another person and/or pet with you. I have out riggers on order to make it super stable.

It really depends on your preferences. Both are good options.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I'll be the odd man out. I had a fishing kayak, a Pelican something or other. Took it out 2 times, then sold it. I hated it. Seating position was lousy, gear and tackle storage were a hassle, anchoring was a pain in the arse, it was constantly rocking and shifting of balance was required, virtually impossible to maintain a tight line due to drifting.

My 12ft jon boat or Fish Cat Cougar pontoon boat are way better, set up in the same or less time and offer more flexibility. Hell, even my Fish Cat Fat Cat v-boat is better if you remove the speed advantage a kayak gives you. Maybe a more expensive kayak with foot pedal propulsion would be better but I just don't see the attraction to fishing from a kayak.
I think you would have a really good time with a well built kayak. That has specific sections for tackle storage and anchor trolley's ect.

This is the issue with pelican kayaks. They either give a first time kayak angler a horrible time due to instability based on hull design and width or lack of storage ect. Or it can also give you a fantastic first experience and you would upgrade to a high end option after. We see this happen often.

Respect wildlife
Old 10-12-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Hello Everyone,
So I am looking at buying either a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL or a Wilderness Tarpon 105 fishing kayak. To those of you who fish or have fished out of a fishing kayak i have a question.
1. Do you find them safe and stable on the water, even in a little chop or larger waves? How would you compare them to a canoe for stability?

Been watching YouTube videos and it seems guys are always commenting on flipping or falling out of there kayaks. I assume its because they aren't being safe or paying attention. I am down sizing from a fishing boat to a fishing kayak so I am not a newbie when it comes to being on the water by any means. But am a newbie in the world of fishing kayaks.

Thank you to all in advance for your advice and answers.
Just picked up a Sportsman 106 a month ago....Lethbridge kayak shop.
Very little time in it tho.
So far I'm impressed with quality.
Be aware tho.....stock for next year year is very iffy.....I got the last one they had of a bunch that had just come in.
Wife has another with her name on it.....maybe get it by spring.

Stock is nil,get your name on one cause supply is limited.
Covid world.....
Old 10-13-2021, 10:47 AM

Welcome to the club! Kayak fishing is becoming more and more popular for good reason.

To answer your question, I find that sit on top (SOT) kayaks are very stable, way more stable than a canoe. Most people are able to stand and cast to the left and right easily, even with a bit of chop.

Of the two kayaks you are looking at, I would recommend the 106 PDL. The 106PDL will be significantly more stable because it is wider, a hull shape designed for stability, and has a much higher weight capacity. I have a Bigwater PDL 132 (same as Huyfishin) and I've sat side saddle, jigging for walleye, with my feet in the water on Glennifer lake while being surrounded by wake boats and didn't worry about flipping. Great stability is a common theme among most fishing specific kayaks. I've also taken it out in whitecaps serious enough that big boats were coming in, but that does require a bit of skill. (ie. know the limits of your ability)

The Tarpon 105 will be much nicer to paddle if you didnt want the pedal drive but that would be the only reason I'd pick it over the 106 PDL.

One of the biggest advantages of a SOT vs a canoe or open hull kayak is the fact that SOT's are self draining/bailing. You can take waves over the bow or stern and the water drains out of the scuppers. You can bring a big fish on board, get covered in fish slim, and simply pour a bucket of water over everything to wash it off and it drains away on its own.

I think a lot of the comments and worries about stability are from people curious about the sport but that havent tried it yet. Sitting on a small plastic kayak just doesnt look as safe as an actual boat, but I think most would be impressed once they got to try it. There are many campfire stories in our kayak group of people selling their big boats for kayaks, you are in good company!

Disclaimer (sort of): Yes, I am a pro staffer for Old Town but I honestly wouldn't recommend one brand over another if it didn't fit your specific needs. Its more important to me (and most other kayak anglers) that you get out and enjoy whatever boat you're in. The boat is a tool, fishing is the goal!

There are a few articles I've written that might give you some food for thought:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/c...kayak-fishing/

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/p...-buying-guide/

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/o...t-impressions/
Old 10-13-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Just picked up a Sportsman 106 a month ago....Lethbridge kayak shop.
Very little time in it tho.
So far I'm impressed with quality.
Be aware tho.....stock for next year year is very iffy.....I got the last one they had of a bunch that had just come in.
Wife has another with her name on it.....maybe get it by spring.

Stock is nil,get your name on one cause supply is limited.
Covid world.....
Stock is definitely an issue: I just had a call the other day with Old Town and demand hasn't dropped at all. Their production is still 6-7 months behind on their current orders (as is Humminbirds). So that means if you ordered your boat now, you may see it in time for the spring but its cutting it very close! Especially considering shipping to Canada is a pita for kayaks.

If you havent ordered, I'd recommend getting in touch with your local dealer and tell them to put your name on one or to call you when their stock comes in. Aquabatics (in Edmonton) is still getting in shipments every once in a while so you never know when new boats will show up.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I think you would have a really good time with a well built kayak. That has specific sections for tackle storage and anchor trolley's ect.

This is the issue with pelican kayaks. They either give a first time kayak angler a horrible time due to instability based on hull design and width or lack of storage ect. Or it can also give you a fantastic first experience and you would upgrade to a high end option after. We see this happen often.
I took a close look at the higher end kayaks, although I didn't fish out of them but I still don't see any real advantage. I'm into my Lowe 1240 jon boat, swivel seat, anchor system and Minn Kota motor for under $2K, you're not buying something like a Hobie for that. The boat weighs less than 110 pounds, I can put it on my roof racks by myself with ease. I can stand, sit in one of the comfortable swivel seats I mounted, walk bow to stern, row, use the motor, haul more people or gear, have 100x the stability, easily anchor fore and aft to prevent drift, set up is fast and easy and I can mount a 10hp motor if I were so inclined. If you have room to store a kayak, you can probably store a jon boat since it's only 2x as wide.

Fishing kayaks sure seem popular but I just don't see why. There are better options. Especially as a stillwater fly fisherman, a kayak just isn't a great fishing platform. On a river? I'll take my Fish Cat Cougar. Maybe if all you do is spin cast or jig for walleye or something where line control isn't as critical, they're good.

To each their own though. I grew up fishing out of a canoe before upgrading to a boat. I'd rather use the canoe again for fishing than a kayak. I do like kayaks though, but not for fishing.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I took a close look at the higher end kayaks, although I didn't fish out of them but I still don't see any real advantage. I'm into my Lowe 1240 jon boat, swivel seat, anchor system and Minn Kota motor for under $2K, you're not buying something like a Hobie for that. The boat weighs less than 110 pounds, I can put it on my roof racks by myself with ease. I can stand, sit in one of the comfortable swivel seats I mounted, walk bow to stern, row, use the motor, haul more people or gear, have 100x the stability, easily anchor fore and aft to prevent drift, set up is fast and easy and I can mount a 10hp motor if I were so inclined. If you have room to store a kayak, you can probably store a jon boat since it's only 2x as wide.

Fishing kayaks sure seem popular but I just don't see why. There are better options. Especially as a stillwater fly fisherman, a kayak just isn't a great fishing platform. On a river? I'll take my Fish Cat Cougar. Maybe if all you do is spin cast or jig for walleye or something where line control isn't as critical, they're good.

To each their own though. I grew up fishing out of a canoe before upgrading to a boat. I'd rather use the canoe again for fishing than a kayak. I do like kayaks though, but not for fishing.
You actually do make a jon boat sound good haha sometime I do also want something larger so I can take kids ect. If only I could have it all.

Respect wildlife
Old 10-13-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You actually do make a jon boat sound good haha sometime I do also want something larger so I can take kids ect. If only I could have it all.
I told my wife that a requirement of us being together was a tolerance for an abundance of watercraft. I'm allowed as many as we can afford, which isn't anywhere near enough!

I can't recommend a 12ft jon enough for a lightweight small lake fishing boat, especially if you want to bring kids with you. They're super stable and give you enough room for 2 adults comfortably or 3 who like to get cozy. 1 adult and 3 kids would be very easy to fit too.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:47 PM

I got a pelican catch 120, love it, decked it out with scotty and yakattack accessories, only downfall is its heavy lol Wish I used it more this year but can't wait till next year already.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
I have an Ascend FS12T from Basspro. Normally use it for the smaller lakes where the big boat is not allowed. However I have used it in bigger waters and got caught when the wind picked up. but never a problem, just harder to paddle against a head wind and 1 ft waves. Very stable, and not worried about tipping. If you take a look at the bottom, mine is shaped similar to an M instead of being round like a regular yak. I too have most of my stuff tied in just in case.
When I first got it, I actually got rigged up in my wetsuit, life jacket, and went out to practice tipping over. It was almost impossible to tip, and actually took quite a bit of effort to do it on purpose. Flipping it upright and climbing back in was actually easy. I'm sure the people on shore were wondering WT* is that guy doing, but......I wanted the experience when or if I ever did go over.
I got the same one. Love it. Much better than my pelican. Tracks much better with the hull design.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:03 PM

Default Old Town Sportsman 106

I bought the Old Town Sportsman 106. Super sturdy and perfect for my needs. I have tried the sit in style and never liked how it made me feel. I felt unstable and it rocked alot. The sit on top is a way better choice and there are so many to choose from. Biggest choice will be if you want to paddle, pedal or have a minn kota to push you around.

Question I have for all you Kayak users already, how do you transport your kayak?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
I bought the Old Town Sportsman 106. Super sturdy and perfect for my needs. I have tried the sit in style and never liked how it made me feel. I felt unstable and it rocked alot. The sit on top is a way better choice and there are so many to choose from. Biggest choice will be if you want to paddle, pedal or have a minn kota to push you around.

Question I have for all you Kayak users already, how do you transport your kayak?

Regarding transporting I put all my gear in the back seat and the yak goes in the box of the truck….tailgate down that is and super secured.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Peddle is way nicer then paddle and gives options well fighting fish and working a location in my opinion

I have a bed extender, a protective cover for my tailgate(great for gravel roads), I actually stack our kayaks with dividers made with pool noodles, and I strap part of my gear in with the same tie downs used to hold the kayaks.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:

This is how I load my yak. I no longer have a truck so i have to put it on my roof.

https://youtu.be/uhx48t7sLo4

Before this I always used a bed extender on my f150.

Respect wildlife
Old 10-14-2021, 12:59 PM

Transport - depends how far and on what kind of roads I'm driving on.

I have both racks for the truck box and also an Erickson bed extender.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e...2110p.html#srp

https://www.princessauto.com/en/800-...t/PA0008888968

If you watch, you will find both of these quite a bit cheaper when they go on sale.

The other thing you'll need is a set of wheels. Depending upon what kayak you buy, you might be able to get ones that stick in the scupper holes or you might need ones that strap on to the kayak. I load my kayak all up at the vehicle and then wheel it to the shore like a wheelbarrow.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post
Transport - depends how far and on what kind of roads I'm driving on.

I have both racks for the truck box and also an Erickson bed extender.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e...2110p.html#srp

https://www.princessauto.com/en/800-...t/PA0008888968

If you watch, you will find both of these quite a bit cheaper when they go on sale.

The other thing you'll need is a set of wheels. Depending upon what kayak you buy, you might be able to get ones that stick in the scupper holes or you might need ones that strap on to the kayak. I load my kayak all up at the vehicle and then wheel it to the shore like a wheelbarrow.

yea the carts are very useful. Every kayak manufacturer has a cart they always recommend. For example OldTown recommends strap on styles rather then scupper hole carts. A cart that uses the scupper holes may not fit correctly and can cause strain or crack the hull which can potentially void warranty.

Respect wildlife
Old 10-14-2021, 02:46 PM

If taking my truck, in the box it goes (easiest)

If kayaking with my wife, on top of the SUV they go. (hardest)

Hers is a 40lb pelican costco special, easy to load and unload. Mine weights 70lbs and Is a PITA to throw up on kayak J-hooks but certainly is doable. THULE hullavator is $800+ and I haven't given up my man card yet to buy one for easy loading lol
Old 10-14-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
yea the carts are very useful. Every kayak manufacturer has a cart they always recommend. For example OldTown recommends strap on styles rather then scupper hole carts. A cart that uses the scupper holes may not fit correctly and can cause strain or crack the hull which can potentially void warranty.

Or worse yet you take on water way out there and become unstable….a cart that is attached to an area like the scupper holes not designed for that type of stress is a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:33 PM

Another great thread….here’s to many more soggy sammiches as we

yak around !