Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 10:23 AM

Default Wilderness Camping Permit

Will be camping south of Fox Creek next week. Wondering if they are checking for Wilderness camping permit. I know they are required on public land but there seems to be some confusion if they are required on oil lease land.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:52 PM

I haven’t looked yet to see if there is anything in the new hunting regs about the ucps new cash grab but I know when we leave to go on Oct. 1 we won’t be buying any permits.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:53 PM

Only required in certain WMU's but it looks like you are in the area. I'm all for this fee. It's far better to charge users then to raise taxes. We use it, we should help pay for it.

LEO's are checking and fines are being handed out. The more the merrier I say.

https://www.alberta.ca/public-lands-camping-pass.aspx
Old 09-24-2021, 05:36 AM

Theres an interactive map, south of fox creek looks to be in your area of needing a permit and it looks like the fine is $287 so kind of a no brainer to me. If you can afford the $287 to pay the fine then you can afford the $30 yearly permit
Old 09-24-2021, 08:09 AM

One thing I didn’t think about with the new camping permit is I was passing through on the FTR from Edson to Nordegg. We planned to spend a night at brazeau rec area and pay the $11 per night it’s always been. But it’s been turned into a user maintained camp sight now and must also fall under the camping permit. A friend of mine was atv ing out that way and he keeps a nice clean camp and the COs came by and didn’t check his permit. Maybe they are using it to target the pigs?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 AM

It’s not doing much for targeting pigs. There has been no lack of damage going on since Covid between people cutting trees to make camping spots, trash, and a lot of damage from trucks/ATVs. Some of the places people are pushing through trucks and ATVs that I have seen this year is nuts. The new “camping” spots have increased too. Issues have always been around but have increased

The new permit has done nothing but collect $ from those who are choosing to pay it

It may make people feel good that the permit might stop some of the above but it’s not doing a bloody thing in the areas I frequent and enforcement has not improved
Old 09-24-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It’s not doing much for targeting pigs. There has been no lack of damage going on since Covid between people cutting trees to make camping spots, trash, and a lot of damage from trucks/ATVs. Some of the places people are pushing through trucks and ATVs that I have seen this year is nuts. The new “camping” spots have increased too. Issues have always been around but have increased

The new permit has done nothing but collect $ from those who are choosing to pay it

It may make people feel good that the permit might stop some of the above but it’s not doing a bloody thing in the areas I frequent and enforcement has not improved
Did you report any of this? The money from the permits was suppose to help with cleanup/enforcement etc as far as I was aware, but I don't believe they hired any bush janitors to drive around and clean up garbage so how would they know if there was problems if they aren't aware of them?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Did you report any of this? The money from the permits was suppose to help with cleanup/enforcement etc as far as I was aware, but I don't believe they hired any bush janitors to drive around and clean up garbage so how would they know if there was problems if they aren't aware of them?
Theses areas are well known to F&W and I mention issues multiple times. The one area is extremely busy for random camping/ATV. They are aware but it just keeps continuing

I have taken trash out of the bush myself because if not no one else will

Again the permit and excuses used to justify it are a joke. I will stand by that until I see otherwise
Old 09-24-2021, 10:57 AM

Man, $30 to camp in the backcountry as much as you want for a year doesn’t exactly sound like a travesty to our freedoms if you ask me. It’s cheap man.

One thing it does is give CO’s another avenue to fine or ticket people who generally deserve it. Think of all the bush party/teenagers camping and leaving messes. None will have a permit. This gives them something to use against these people.

Of all the things to complain about our government for, this one isn’t on my list.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Wilderness Camping Permit

How did a simple clarification question get turned into a complaint?
Old 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM

because its the AO forum and certain people like to derail threads, happens in almost every post
Old 09-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Back country permit

We hiked into Michelle lake on August 1,2021, the leos were there checking if we had the permit, lucky I take to my buddies about this permit, we all showed the very professional fish and wildlife person our permits, you could see his facial response that no ticket for not having it was heading our way,