Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2021, 08:35 AM
AB Bill AB Bill is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Default Summer Kill Local Lakes

Trying to find out the status of local lakes(Star,Hasse,Salters etc.) is it still worthwhile to fish these lakes
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2021, 11:10 AM
tallieho tallieho is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: calgary
Posts: 969
Default

I emailed the biologist for the area,for an answer.South lakes,seem to be ok.He did mention sm kill was more in northern lakes.


Yes, the rain and associated cooler temperatures were desperately needed for our fisheries (and humans) across the whole south.

Thankfully, we have not received any reports of fish kills in the very southern region, including Police Outpost Lake. I currently do not have a list of lakes that were affected by summer kills, but know, that affected lakes were generally located north of Calgary.

Currently, there is no plan to stock Police this fall. It has only been stocked once per year in the last few years.

Bullshead Lake is still under investigation and as long as the cause of the loss of fish is not understood, we will not stock the lake with any fish.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2021, 07:45 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I emailed the biologist for the area,for an answer.South lakes,seem to be ok.He did mention sm kill was more in northern lakes.


Yes, the rain and associated cooler temperatures were desperately needed for our fisheries (and humans) across the whole south.

Thankfully, we have not received any reports of fish kills in the very southern region, including Police Outpost Lake. I currently do not have a list of lakes that were affected by summer kills, but know, that affected lakes were generally located north of Calgary.

Currently, there is no plan to stock Police this fall. It has only been stocked once per year in the last few years.

Bullshead Lake is still under investigation and as long as the cause of the loss of fish is not understood, we will not stock the lake with any fish.

I hope that helps.
Not really, the OP was asking about local lakes in the Stoney Plain area west of Edmonton. All I'm going to offer from recent experience is that if the lake/pot hole is deep enough you will find trout in good shape.

I'm worried about Muir because it's so shallow.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2021, 06:44 PM
pipco pipco is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 511
Default

Heard through the grapevine r5ecently from a young fly guy who lives in Spruce Grove that Muir had some summerkill and things did not look good there.

I had stopped by Muir three or four weeks ago one morning early and saw no sign of any fish after sitting and watching for about 45 minutes. No rises but that doesn't mean they all perished.

Also told by there was an article in one one of the local papers that Hasse had some sumerkill as well.

Don't know about other lakes in the area.

A few days of steady rain would be good.

Hope to get out a few times and fish some of potholes west of the city in the next couple months and find out what's happening.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Gerald J Gerald J is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 260
Default

I fished Muir on Monday afternoon for a few hours and did not even get a hit. Thought I'd try it again for a few hours last night under different conditions (cloudy, showers) and the results were the same. Not even a hit. About three other anglers on the south end of the lake last night. I didn't see anybody catch a fish. I didn't see any dead fish except for a few dead 'minnows' and a single backswimmer.

For what it's worth... And I'll probably try it again.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,860
Default

That is a tough day(s) for sure. Especially when backswimmers should be happening. I haven't fished Muir in years now. Probably should try it as well but there seems to be so many better places to go and only so much time...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:38 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
I fished Muir on Monday afternoon for a few hours and did not even get a hit. Thought I'd try it again for a few hours last night under different conditions (cloudy, showers) and the results were the same. Not even a hit. About three other anglers on the south end of the lake last night. I didn't see anybody catch a fish. I didn't see any dead fish except for a few dead 'minnows' and a single backswimmer.

For what it's worth... And I'll probably try it again.
"There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear"...Buffalo Springfield

Hopefully Muir will pick up later this month and into October. I heard that Salter's is pretty "mucky" looking now but maybe that will change as well with a frost or two. In the meantime, as Snapfisher notes, there are better places to spend valuable outing days.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2021, 07:34 PM
lakerman lakerman is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default deader

Someone posted on facebook pictures last month of 70 some dead fish floating around.
__________________
I don't want to be a millionare just live like one!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2021, 10:47 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,338
Default

Stopped in to have a look at Hasse late this afternoon after some very modest success elsewhere. Water looked like thin pea green soup with visibility maybe in the inches. Nevertheless, saw a number of very small rises in the dock area and, according to a kayaker, a good number of rises over in the east shore, so maybe there's hope?i
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2021, 02:13 PM
ecsuplander ecsuplander is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 120
Default

Fished Cardiff and Muir this past week. Saw one rising fish at Cardiff. Nothing at Muir, even though there were backswimmers everywhere. Very disappointing. Took a drive to Chickakoo, looked vey sad and not very fishable. Maybe i will have to try Hasse or Dolberg.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2021, 09:04 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Fished Cardiff and Muir this past week. Saw one rising fish at Cardiff. Nothing at Muir, even though there were backswimmers everywhere. Very disappointing. Took a drive to Chickakoo, looked vey sad and not very fishable. Maybe i will have to try Hasse or Dolberg.
Backswimmers and not boils everywhere tells the tale. That is too bad, again.

Not hearing good things about Hasse either (see above). Had a friend who used to fish there go and confirm the same thing. Green pea soup. Sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2021, 10:23 AM
ecsuplander ecsuplander is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 120
Default

I was at Hasse yesterday. Water quality not great but I did see quite a few rising fish- but they were very small. Looked like it may have been recently stocked. Certainly would not expect fish this small at the end of the season. I did not hook any fish, but there was at least some signs of fish life.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2021, 01:37 PM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,860
Default

Good to know, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2021, 07:01 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
I was at Hasse yesterday. Water quality not great but I did see quite a few rising fish- but they were very small. Looked like it may have been recently stocked. Certainly would not expect fish this small at the end of the season. I did not hook any fish, but there was at least some signs of fish life.
That's what I said in a post above. You could have saved yourself a trip or gone elsewhere.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2021, 08:27 AM
ecsuplander ecsuplander is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 120
Default

Didn't mind the trip, it was a beautiful day out there. Thought I might get lucky and snag a tiger.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Prospector6600 Prospector6600 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 3
Default Muir

I live very near ( 3 minits?) to Muir and pop in a couple times a month on the way home. I dont fly fish so my luck has been minimal at best . I will say that last October I caught a tank sized Rainbow on a Mepps spinner in my aluminum boat. Thats enough to keep me trying.
I only went once this Sept around the 25th . Fished around for a few hours . no bites and didnt see any surface activity. Very cloudy water .
When I get skunked I swear I'm never coming back again, but then I read something I could try ( or my wife wants me to do chores ) and I try again.

I will give it another shot before winter.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-05-2021, 09:01 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector6600 View Post
I live very near ( 3 minits?) to Muir and pop in a couple times a month on the way home. I dont fly fish so my luck has been minimal at best . I will say that last October I caught a tank sized Rainbow on a Mepps spinner in my aluminum boat. Thats enough to keep me trying.
I only went once this Sept around the 25th . Fished around for a few hours . no bites and didnt see any surface activity. Very cloudy water .
When I get skunked I swear I'm never coming back again, but then I read something I could try ( or my wife wants me to do chores ) and I try again.

I will give it another shot before winter.
Took a look at Muir early Saturday evening after fishing else where. Water still very murky and no rises north of the dock...not a good sign at this time of year.

On a positive note, the new signs along the walkway are very well done and provide lots of information and fishing tips.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.