Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 09:12 AM

While I appreciate the efforts the "powers that be" are putting in place, I question that effectiveness of them. Looking at an article in the Edmonton Sun, it states:

As of Friday, sixty-five per cent of active cases in the province had an “unknown” origin.

Wait....if we do not know how the majority of the people got the virus how can we review the conditions they were in to make good decisions. I have no issue following whatever guidelines are in place, but I want to know that they are effective and not placebo.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...2-b3262321150b
Old 11-15-2020, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
This gong show is never going to end due to IDGF attitude people have regarding this serious situation
Exactly.....

And then it will be the fault of those who Implememt the restrictions....go,figure eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Also heard on news yesterday Alberta has had 0 cases of influenza reported this year. Last year same time 40 some hospitalizations of the same and obviously thus far none.
Funny how that works .......
Old 11-15-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I think we have about a dozen cases around here, up dramatically from last week. Doesn't seem to be any logic to the sudden upsurge, other than it was brought in from outside. So many unknows, now they are even questioning the validity of tests.

Grizz
The lower humidity associated with the colder weather causes exhaled droplets to dry out quickly, and then remain suspended in the air longer (airborne vs droplet transmission). It's well known and expected that this would happen with the colder, dryer temps.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Idgaf

This is all just AIDS and Acid Rain that generation X survived.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Except spread the virus if you are a super carrier.

By the time you test positive it could have spread to and killed my great great grandmother and all of her siblings.

Come on man, you are trying to cover for a bad idea, why?

If this virus can spread into nursing homes and hospitals with all the precautions they take do you really think making a list of contacts after entering a new country will do anything to stop this virus.

Let me ask you this, if it's such a good idea, why wasn't it done months ago, for nursing home staff and hospital workers?

Maybe read my post again.
I never said it was a good idea.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
While I appreciate the efforts the "powers that be" are putting in place, I question that effectiveness of them. Looking at an article in the Edmonton Sun, it states:

As of Friday, sixty-five per cent of active cases in the province had an “unknown” origin.

Wait....if we do not know how the majority of the people got the virus how can we review the conditions they were in to make good decisions. I have no issue following whatever guidelines are in place, but I want to know that they are effective and not placebo.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...2-b3262321150b
People are probably going out, going everywhere and then are either clueless as to where all they’ve been, or they aren’t being truthful to the contact tracers.

Has everyone downloaded a covid-19 tracker to your phone?

I now have both the federal and provincial apps running on my phone.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:46 AM

Cases skyrocket after the kids have been in school for two months.
Are kids asymptomatic and giving it to adults? I don’t buy the news blaming social gatherings as the cause. Are there that many social gatherings going on these days??
Old 11-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Are kids asymptomatic and giving it to adults? I don’t buy the news blaming social gatherings as the cause. Are there that many social gatherings going on these days??
Everything is going on. The roads are full of traffic at all hours.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten the rise in cases after Thanksgiving in October.....
Old 11-15-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You seem to have forgotten the rise in cases after Thanksgiving in October.....
Well I commute to Nisku from Sherwood Park everyday. I drop my son off at his school I leave later just as school is starting. There are three schools within the block and it’s the busiest rush hour i have ever seen. It has regular traffic rush hour beat. I see these kids walking in packs of 4 to 6 and it’s shoulder to shoulder at the schools. Hundreds.

I don’t think a family Thanksgiving meal of 4- 8 is tanking this. Grant Macewan has an outbreak right now as I’m typing.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Great question.

I am enjoying an entire year of no cold, no flu, and I firmly believe it is because all the little snot factories are not spreading every bug there is.
I have not seen my grandsons nearly as much as I would have liked, but everyone for the most part is healthier.

Make no mistake, it is everywhere. A kid in school here tested positive, and now the school is being fumigated. It is a k-12 school with under 200 kids.

this is from a guy in Lloydminster-

For those that do not know, my wife and I had covid back in July when she picked it up from a hotel bathroom. She had a mild case done and over. My symptoms started on July 28 and we both tested positive July 31. Fast forward to now, I am still having issues of troubled breathing, annoying rash, sore throat, severe indigestion due to liver damage and other things that come and go. I am not the only one to experience long term problems. They have coined us as covid long haulers, we no longer have covid but still have problems due to what the virus has done to our bodies. There are thousands of us spread from coast to coast. Even a facebook page that one started. No not all the almost 8000 people on the page have covid. Yes some of them say they have covid but never did. Still the majority either did or now do as the page is getting lots of new adds from people freshly infected. so yes covid for the majority of people will not bother them much. For 20% of the people who are getting covid, it is a life altering problem. We are seeing numbers go through the roof right now with how fast it is spreading. One of the reasons it is spreading is the deniers who refuse to think this is real. Blaming the government for doing too much. In the US they blamed the government for doing to little and look at their death rate which we are slowly catching up to per capita so do not be smug. The government is between a rock and a hard place, damned if they do an damned if they do not. So make up your minds people, do we act sensibly or not. Your choice but be warned the Canadian government has teeth and will use them, not saying I agree with the gov't just pointing it out

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Great question.

I am enjoying an entire year of no cold, no flu, and I firmly believe it is because all the little snot factories are not spreading every bug there is.
I have not seen my grandsons nearly as much as I would have liked, but everyone for the most part is healthier.

Make no mistake, it is everywhere. A kid in school here tested positive, and now the school is being fumigated. It is a k-12 school with under 200 kids.

this is from a guy in Lloydminster-

For those that do not know, my wife and I had covid back in July when she picked it up from a hotel bathroom. She had a mild case done and over. My symptoms started on July 28 and we both tested positive July 31. Fast forward to now, I am still having issues of troubled breathing, annoying rash, sore throat, severe indigestion due to liver damage and other things that come and go. I am not the only one to experience long term problems. They have coined us as covid long haulers, we no longer have covid but still have problems due to what the virus has done to our bodies. There are thousands of us spread from coast to coast. Even a facebook page that one started. No not all the almost 8000 people on the page have covid. Yes some of them say they have covid but never did. Still the majority either did or now do as the page is getting lots of new adds from people freshly infected. so yes covid for the majority of people will not bother them much. For 20% of the people who are getting covid, it is a life altering problem. We are seeing numbers go through the roof right now with how fast it is spreading. One of the reasons it is spreading is the deniers who refuse to think this is real. Blaming the government for doing too much. In the US they blamed the government for doing to little and look at their death rate which we are slowly catching up to per capita so do not be smug. The government is between a rock and a hard place, damned if they do an damned if they do not. So make up your minds people, do we act sensibly or not. Your choice but be warned the Canadian government has teeth and will use them, not saying I agree with the gov't just pointing it out

I absolutely believe it’s real and I’m positive my other half had it. She was off from work for 5 months and tested negative twice. She had absolute Covid symptoms to the letter. An absolute attack of the lungs for months. I don’t trust the testing.

I posted this morning how Elon Musk tested both negative and positive twice each. We lived through two false negative test outcomes. I’m positive of it.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I absolutely believe it’s real and I’m positive my other half had it. She was off from work for 5 months and tested negative twice. She had absolute Covid symptoms to the letter. An absolute attack of the lungs for months. I don’t trust the testing.

I posted this morning how Elon Musk tested both negative and positive twice each. We lived through two false negative test outcomes. I’m positive of it.
That scared the hell out of me, as I was reading I was thinking I was going to read about permanent damage.
I am so happy you guys came through it. So many have not.

But, the numbers are negligable, so (for the anti-maskers) who cares, right?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well to be honest it is following a similar trend line as every other year with respiratory illnesses. Usually peaks in December and by end of January is basically nil. Just we didnt test and publish as much every other year for respiratory illnesses so for alot of us these numbers are shocking.
Edit: before anyone flies off there rocker this doesn't mean the results are negligible. But I do think we forget how bad it could be other years as well. Wouldn't want to be labeled (anti-masker/ conspiracy theorist/ elderly murderer) just trying to look at the data and facts without charging it all with emotion.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Well to be honest it is following a similar trend line as every other year with respiratory illnesses. Usually peaks in December and by end of January is basically nil. Just we didnt test and publish as much every other year for respiratory illnesses so for alot of us these numbers are shocking.
The disease is still in it's infancy, not even a year old. Ontario is projecting 6500 new cases daily. This thing is nowhere near peaking yet. As long as people keep fighting being told how to protect themselves and others numbers will keep going up.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That scared the hell out of me, as I was reading I was thinking I was going to read about permanent damage.

Thank you Ken. She came through fine thankfully. I definitely mask up. Reluctantly but I do...
Old 11-15-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What did people expect? Hundreds of thousands of children congregating in schools and on school busses, of course this was going to happen. Only the truly naive would believe that masks would stop the spread under these conditions. If schools,are to remain open, we have to accept that numbers will increase significantly.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Edit: before anyone flies off there rocker this doesn't mean the results are negligible. But I do think we forget how bad it could be other years as well. Wouldn't want to be labeled (anti-masker/ conspiracy theorist/ elderly murderer) just trying to look at the data and facts without charging it all with emotion.
Yes it’s the season I guess!!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 AM

I think that the title should be “Broken Record” instead of record broken. Between all 172 COVID threads, and 126 Trump threads, the name of this forum for general discussion could almost be changed. It’s pretty clear that none if the threads are changing anyone’s mind about either topic, just the same regurgitated vitriol over and over.

Absolutely nothing new stated, and nothing earth shattering has been added.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The disease is still in it's infancy, not even a year old. Ontario is projecting 6500 new cases daily. This thing is nowhere near peaking yet. As long as people keep fighting being told how to protect themselves and others numbers will keep going up.
Well to be fair I do think europe went through a pandemic in March april. However the current rise in cases actually and fortunately has a much lower death rate than before, and this is to be expected with a viral disease as the human race as a whole fights it. It is terrible as it takes those more susceptible. I think one of the problems people have with what is being told is the abrupt 180s the govt has been doing. Now we can say they do this as they learn more about the virus but the problem is thats just not true. They are basing some (not all) decisions on fear and not on what factually would work.
Now as for myself I am not very afraid for me, however that doesn't mean I am foolish as I have a sister in her 30s with 5 kids who recently underwent a full hysterectomy and still has cancer that isn't treatable with anything. So I want to be wise for her especially, but I want to make sure my decision are based on facts and not emotion when doing so
Old 11-15-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I think that the title should be “Broken Record” instead of record broken. Between all 172 COVID threads, and 126 Trump threads, the name of this forum for general discussion could almost be changed. It’s pretty clear that none if the threads are changing anyone’s mind about either topic, just the same regurgitated vitriol over and over.

I haven’t read any of them for at least three weeks. Just getting caught up. Thanks though..
Old 11-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I disagree as I have learned more and many data references ect have been shared allowing me to make more informed decisions.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't have the energy to count the number of threads. Same people yelling the same things at each other across the barb wire....broken record. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind, either way.

But it's like my dogs. The highlight of their day is to dash to the fence and exchange fierce barks with the neighbor's dog, who reciprocate. A dozen times a day. Every day.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 11-15-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I disagree as I have learned more and many data references ect have been shared allowing me to make more informed decisions.
I won’t be making any informed decisions based on information shared on a public forum, Facebook, YouTube etc. Data references or not, dealing with a relatively unknown new virus is such a dynamic situation that even the medical/scientific community is modifying their recommendations on a regular basis.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't have the energy to count the number of threads. Same people yelling the same things at each other across the barb wire....broken record. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind, either way.

But it's like my dogs. The highlight of thier day is to dash to the fence and exchange fierce barks with the neighbor's dog, who reciprocate. A dozen times a day. Every day.
And yet I still post. I never claimed to be a quick learner lol.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:44 AM

I could not care at all if anyone's mind is changed.

This either affects you , or it does not.

I am just passing on information that I have found, just like very single thread ever posted on here; a discussion of information, fact or opinion.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Like. Same pile different day!

BW
Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I could not care at all if anyone's mind is changed.

This either affects you , or it does not.

I am just passing on information that I have found, just like very single thread ever posted on here; a discussion of information, fact or opinion.
I’d use the term “fact” pretty loosely for the most part. Lol
Old 11-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Do you believe that if everyone "did everything right", this will just go away? Seems like you do.

It isn't going away. It's going to run it's course. People are going to get sick. Unfortunately some will succumb to it. Vaccine's may become available one day, but I wouldn't count on it any time soon

You lefties always believe you're right..