Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 07:08 PM

Exclamation "COVID" Super Thread

All future Covid posts, to be put on this thread only, all others will be deleted.

Alberta records over 1,000 new daily COVID-19 cases for first time, surpasses 400 deaths

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...WKKMLZWxHkwmDU

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 12-12-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Alberta records over 1,000 new daily COVID-19 cases for first time, surpasses 400 deaths

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...WKKMLZWxHkwmDU
This gong show is never going to end due to IDGF attitude people have regarding this serious situation
Old 11-14-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
This gong show is never going to end due to IDGF attitude people have regarding this serious situation
Bang on, nailed it.

I hardly ever wish sickness on anyone, but (do) these idiots need to experience a month on a ventilator or attend some 15 person family funerals to catch on?

The article on facebook had people laughing, 1000 a day is funny somehow?

Dense people astound me.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Big difference between IDGAF and trying to carry on with a somewhat normal life. People need to work to pay the bills. Some of that work is also essential services to keep everyone alive.
Good mental health.....it's a real thing. Needs to be a balance. This thing isn't going away, people need to figure that out.
I hear a lot on here squealing about the elderly. Lock them down. Isolate them.
Has anyone thought to ask them? Do you suppose they are happy living out their days in isolation? Not seeing their family? Friends? For god sake, they're dying of loneliness.

So to quote you, do you suppose this will end if people's attitude were to change? News flash....it's not.

Everyone has the freedom to lock themselves down. Self isolate. Hide in the basement so to speak. If you're that worried, do it. You can be responsible for your own well being.
Can still play on AO from downstairs

You lefties always believe you're right..
Old 11-14-2020, 07:30 PM

Who doesn’t GAF? Every time I go to the grocery store or get gas etc. Every worker i see is masked,,, all people in store are masked,,, most people driving in their car are masked. Where do you see the IDGAF people? Online, social media or on the news?
Old 11-14-2020, 07:33 PM

Default That’s What I’ve Been Saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Who doesn’t GAF? Every time I go to the grocery store or get gas etc. Every worker i see is masked,,, all people in store are masked,,, most people driving in their car are masked. Where do you see the IDGAF people? Online, social media or on the news?
Exactly
Old 11-14-2020, 07:37 PM

over 8000 kids under lock down in the school system

the total number a day does not matter, what matter is how many people are in the hospitals ICU beds
Old 11-14-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
over 8000 kids under lock down in the school system

the total number a day does not matter, what matter is how many people are in the hospitals ICU beds
True too
Old 11-14-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
This is the correct take. All over the world cases have spiked....have people gotten complacent all around the same time? Weather is clearly the largest factor with humidity a part of that. This is like every other viral disease in the history of diseases and it's going to spike in winter.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
So many people. They whine and bitch about masks, they bitch about losing freedom, they cry about not being able to party. You don't see this at all? I see people walk past the store greeters with masks on then turn a corner and throw them on the floor, their form of useless protest, beating the system that is so hard on them.

I see them in person in Lloydminster and Wainwright, my most travelled to cities. I read it online constantly, people that are neighbors moaning about masks calling it all a lie, a conspiracy, total bs.

They will experience sickness or death sooner or later.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Big difference between IDGAF and trying to carry on with a somewhat normal life. People need to work to pay the bills. Some of that work is also essential services to keep everyone alive.
Good mental health.....it's a real thing. Needs to be a balance. This thing isn't going away, people need to figure that out.
I hear a lot on here squealing about the elderly. Lock them down. Isolate them.
Has anyone thought to ask them? Do you suppose they are happy living out their days in isolation? Not seeing their family? Friends? For god sake, they're dying of loneliness.

So to quote you, do you suppose this will end if people's attitude were to change? News flash....it's not.

Everyone has the freedom to lock themselves down. Self isolate. Hide in the basement so to speak. If you're that worried, do it. You can be responsible for your own well being.
Can still play on AO from downstairs
Yes, we talk to the 88 year old mil about it all the time, recently moved into a assisted living home and has isolated 4x already. She is sick of it, but says it is better than the alternative. She masks everywhere, has had cancer recently and had a quintuple bypass a couple years ago. Lifetime non smoker non drinker always been underweight, really active and kept good care of herself.

She does not want to die from it. It scares her. She can isolate herself, but not anyone else and that is where the problem lies, someone else that dngaf can bring it to the building, and then there are 50 rooms for rent again.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:06 PM

OFFS...testing positive doesn't even mean you're positive...wafj lol
Old 11-14-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
please explain.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 PM

And despite all the lip service from Government things are still the same in long term care and nursing homes, workers working in multiple different facilities spreading it from one facility to another.
People still not wearing masks when out and about in stores etc. I see it all the time here in town despite signs posted on the doors at the entrance, people ignore it and the stores don't enforce it so what do we expect.

Another lock down is immanent hold onto your hats folks the **** show is just starting. It's not going to be a Merry X-mass

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Folks better watch your language.

I just got warning a few days back for posting a link with a starred out swearword as part of the article title. Stars, acronyms, whatever... all the same thing and we all understand that it is still just swearing.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
please explain.
The rate of false positives compared to actual positives, is quite high.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

where did you get that information from...
Old 11-14-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
As is, I’d guess, the undetected positives compared to the number being tested.

When I hear that they recorded 1,000 new cases I automatically think that there could be four, five thousand more undetected out there.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Some are some aren't. Some like living in isolation, some aren't afraid of dying, some don't want to visit family, some don't have a family.
And some do, hate living in isolation, fear dying, want to visit family.

There is no one solution that will please everyone. And probably not even one that would please the majority.

What I'd like to know is why no one seems concerned that old folk are still dying of this virus In senor care centers, after all we have done and all we have learned over the past several months.

There is plenty of weeping and gnashing of teeth over private parties. But it's not private parties infecting the people in senors centers where the majority of deaths occurs.

And from all I can see it's not due to staff ignoring rules either. This virus seems unstoppable.

So just how much difference are all the precautions actually making.

We have more senors dying in care homes then there were last spring, we have large numbers of hospital staff in isolation due to testing positive for Covid, and in both situations every precaution was taken and much more, yet they are no better off then the rest of us, how so?

If senors who have been in isolation since spring, and nurses who wear masks all day every day are getting infected, just what is going to turn things around?

We can argue all day every day about people not following rules but it seems that even those who do everything we are told to do and none of the things we are told spread this virus, are getting sick and dying.

Even the hope of a vaccine seems doubtful. I don't doubt one will be available soon, but if this virus mutates as quickly as some experts say it does, is that actually going to do any good?

I have no answers and I have little faith in those who claim they do.

One thing, although I follow the rules I have little faith in them doing any good.
In truth, I fear the radical elements in our society much more then I fear any virus.
They have way more potential for harm then any virus so far as I can see.

My body can fight off most infections but I stand little chance against fear driven radicals trying to enforce rule they alone came up with.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
Guessing he is a doctor....
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 PM

One definitive I’ve been noticing. The more people wearing masks all the time everywhere is definitely not helping at all. I finally know someone personally who was diagnosed with covid, yes first one. Went for 2 tests because he didn’t believe it. Never felt better. If he’s actually positive imagine how many of these folks are out there.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 PM

On lonely people under care. Maybe a poor analogy but in WWII many soldiers and sailors were essentially trapped on ships in the knowledge that at any moment their ship could be sunk. Moreover many knew that on shore the enemy might also do them in during battle. So they were under unimaginable stress and I imagine many were resigned to their fate. None though I bet would welcome an early death.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
where did you get that information from...
https://www.bbc.com/news/54270373
Old 11-14-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Not true. False positives are not common with the PCR tests used here in AB. False negatives are far more common.

PCR tests test for coronavirus genetic material, false positives usually occur when there is an issue with contamination. False negatives occur because the swab didn't make contact with the virus (too early in infection, infection localized and not in area swabbed etc).

The rapid tests being used in some other areas on the other hand have a higher incidence of false positives (but again far more false negatives) and require extra steps (multiple tests, confirmation with PCR) etc to confirm.

Feel free to provide evidence that the false positive rate of PCR testing is "quite high".
Old 11-14-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

There is plenty of weeping and gnashing of teeth over private parties. .
Damn you Sam Hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF1-IHn8cRU

You lefties always believe you're right..
Old 11-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
0.8% is not what I consider "quite high". Especially based on your original statement that false positives are high compared to true positives...

Exact false positive rates are not known because they fluctuate based upon how many people are infected and being tested. In places where the virus is prevalent false positives are lower than when testing in places that the virus doesn't exist.

Regardless, in the off chance you get a false positive result be happy. That means you won't get sick...
Old 11-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Not true. False positives are not common with the PCR tests used here in AB. False negatives are far more common.

PCR tests test for coronavirus genetic material, false positives usually occur when there is an issue with contamination. False negatives occur because the swab didn't make contact with the virus (too early in infection, infection localized and not in area swabbed etc).

The rapid tests being used in some other areas on the other hand have a higher incidence of false positives (but again far more false negatives) and require extra steps (multiple tests, confirmation with PCR) etc to confirm.

Feel free to provide evidence that the false positive rate of PCR testing is "quite high".
It also depends how you look at the numbers, if you look at the number of false positives against the number of total tests, the number I see commonly posted is around .8%, but when you look at the number of false positives compared to actual positives, the percentage is often over 10%, which to me, is fairly high.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:09 PM

So mask wearing goes up and so do cases? So strange.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:12 PM

Haha...you can't trust anything the ahs puts out..

Friend of mine booked a test, lineup was to long so he went home and isolated. Got a call 2 days later, he was "positive"... Weird. He didn't take the test.

They lost the results for my son's first test.

That's 2 incidents that tell me how incapable ahs is of testing, let alone counting..

Don't get me wrong we are doing our due diligence, masks all the time, one kid just finished self isolated because of a potential close contact.

This "two week" circuit breaker won't work, and number will skyrocket even more after these two weeks.

Leave everything open, start enforcing masks/group size/etc, protect the vulnerable.

Oh and incase you haven't figured this out yet, everyone is going to get this, it is the only way it will go away.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So mask wearing goes up and so do cases? So strange.
Have you noticed that many people wearing masks don't seem to be worried about maintaining the 2m social distancing? Kind of a false sense of security?

The sad fact is that covid isn't going to disappear this year, or next year, it will likely be a concern for several years.