Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 04:24 AM

Well, it was a nice boat ride. Nothing interesting to report but we gave it a good try. Picked up a few reef species on the banks but didnít see any pelagicís. I guess thereís nothing to do but wait until theyíre back.

I donít think your supposed to park your boat like this. It looked to me like it fell off the trailer on its way to the water. There was a lot of gelcoat on the pavement after he left.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:12 PM

Happy Turkey Day weekend did you get back to the prairies yet?

Dump the boat on the launch, that's one way to ruin your day. Did you give buddy a pull or push into the water or just seen the results.

D.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Happy Turkey Day weekend did you get back to the prairies yet?

Dump the boat on the launch, that's one way to ruin your day. Did you give buddy a pull or push into the water or just seen the results.

D.

Happy thanksgiving to you too David.

I havenít made it back yet. Itíll be next summer at the earliest, no way I want to deal with winter temps in Alberta.

I didnít ask if he wanted a tug down into the water. The tide was out and the 4m scull drag to the water would of been bad. He was on the phone the whole time so I figured he had it sorted. Lucky itís a three lane ramp. He either waited for the tide to come in or winched it onto the truck when it got back. From the mess on the cement he winched it back onto a trailer.

That was a couple days ago when I took the three kids to catch bait and I didnít really plan on taking a picture of their misfortune. I pulled up and told the boys to stay in the truck. Walked back to trim the motor up and remove the straps, got back into the truck and both boys are gone. The little girl was still strapped into her car seat. Then I look and the oldest is standing on the hand rail to the dock and from experience I know heís planning on jumping in for a swim. Then I notice the obvious stuffÖ glasses still on his face and his hat is still on his head, I figured for sure his glasses would fall off and be at the bottom. So I took a pic which got him and the boat. Canít wait until theyíre teenagers.

Rosi sent me a pic of his way back in from Rooneyís point up in Hervey Bay. The water looked premium. I hope itís that nice in two weeks when I get home from work and those baby blacks better be there waiting for me. If we donít get some good easterly winds the current wonít push in there and they wonít go into the bay so fingers crossed.

The club awards ceremony was last night. Iím expecting to have some of these in my house next year.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:41 PM

Seems theyíve arrived.

Tomorrow is the last day of work and Iíll have two weeks to try and stick into them. Seems the 2022 season is about to get started.

On another note. I think Iíve got to take the boat a little further north for some big girls one year. Iíve never been a chubby chaser but these ones get me excited enough to drive up there.

If anyoneís bored this is worth watching

https://youtu.be/S4iqaXUXafE

Itís a documentary on the heavy tackle fishing in cairns.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:34 AM

Well the last few months have been a bust. After that last post I got roped into an extra week of work which only left one week at home. I donít fish when Iím working 3/1 so no fishing that break. This days off the first week was wet and windy. Weíve finally got a break in the wind tomorrow although theyíre calling for 30mm of rain. Rosi, Nolan and I are heading out anyway. We can burn gas and drink beer in the rain if needed. Hopefully itís not raining 30 miles offshore. I doubt Fraser/Hervey bay will happen this year. Rosi went twice and only managed one little black. From all reports itís been slow up there. Itís possible the easterly winds never blew the warm water and fish in there. Idk cause I havenít been.

Due to the wind and rain weíve hardly caught any gar and the bait freezer is looking pretty bare. I did pick up a couple new lures that we can swim tomorrow.

Idk what we will find but by this time last year the mahi were around. Last I spoke to any of the club members was a week ago and no billfish reported but Iíll do an update tomorrow after we give it a good try. One way or another this seasons getting started.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Good luck!

Thx for those links too....gonna watch while working out to keep the mind off the pain

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2021, 04:54 AM

Wind forecast said <5 knots and the swell forecast was under a meter. They lied. Wind was nasty, The swell was more then a meter and the chop was all over the show. A guy doesnít wake up at 0300 to go fishing just to turn around so off we went. It was a slow run out but we it the banks and dropped a spread. Nolan got sick pretty quick and was over the edge of the boat getting rid of his breakfast when the first line went down. Being as he was there he grabbed it and brought us a nice mahi.

We trolled north and shortly after marked some bait. First line went down, second line etc. next thing weíve got five of the eight hooked up and two of the others were hit but didnít hook up. We thought we had tuna. I was already thinking about the sashimi and planning on eating some on the boat. Nope, amberjacks. Iíve never even caught an amberjack and we nailed five on the troll. I took one pic of one. He wasnít the biggest but we had a bit going on so I got a pic and then put the phone down and grabbed another rod.

That was the first time I thought eight lines and two teasers might be to much. Between the chaos and trying to drive the boat it was like a Chinese fire drill.

Anyway we tried to cut across the banks in another spot to avoid them because rigging the gear took time. We missed. They pounced on us again. This time five hit and three hooked up. We landed the three and then got the heck away from them before they ate all our bait.

We then cut north and deeper where Rosi picked up the first marlin of the season. A black around 150kg. We got a tag in it but he then took another run, sounded and we lost it before getting our hands on it for a picture. Luck for us the tag is what we need so thatís number one of the season.

We then trolled for about four hours without a strike. We trolled back across the banks on the way home in a different place and had five lines go down again. Two of them broke off. We got the gear cleared and Nolan got his to the boat first. He had another amberjack. The other two were bigger and giving us trouble so we had to give chase. I passed my rod off to Nolan and drove the boat. The skyís opened up and we got some crazy rain. To compound the problem we had two directions of swell, a north east and a southerly plus a wind chop from another direction. It was like a washing machine.
After a bit of a chase Nolan passed the rod off to me and I managed to land my first GT.

Rosieís fish wasnít giving up so easy and he had to work it for about an hour. Shortly into the fight he called it for a shark but I doubted him because it hit a skirted lure on the troll.

I started watching the fish on the side scan and told Rosie how far off the boat it was. Eventually he brought it up and it was pretty disappointing.

A bronze whaler. Man I hate sharks.

With the gear in the boat and the weather looking pretty bad we pulled the pin and slogged our way back the last 27 miles. The seas were interesting but we made it back safe and sound. Overall a good day, it was a long winter and terrible drought between the last marlin in April and today. Things are looking up.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:35 AM

I would have been happy bringing in a shark but I also donít have the option to catch them if I want to or not

Good luck out there
Old 12-01-2021, 07:41 PM

Man I enjoy your adventures. I was wondering how your summer was starting. Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming!!