Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 AM
ntsougri ntsougri is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 84
Default Help stop the closing 20 park sites and delisting 164 others

Help make a difference and check out the I Use Alberta Parks website to make your voice heard and help stop the Alberta Government from it's plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others.

Website link: https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Background information:

The Alberta government plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others, citing low visitor numbers and savings of $5 million (which equate to $1.14 per Albertan). Once these parks are delisted they no longer have any protection and can be converted into Crown Land, which does not have the same environmental and recreational protections as parks. Once we lose our parks, they're gone forever.

​The I Use Alberta Parks campaign was launched to help stop the loss of these parks. We are a group of concerned Albertans who love the wilderness and outdoor opportunities that our beautiful province has to offer. We want to demonstrate to the Alberta government that people love and use these parks - there is no good reason to shut them down.

How can you help? You can make a difference by simply showing that you visited a provincial park in Alberta. Whether you live in Alberta or not, if you have recently used one of the sites proposed for defunding let the Alberta government know that you use Alberta Parks.

Check out the website and make your voice heard!

https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Last edited by leo; 12-04-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 AM
walking buffalo's Avatar
walking buffalo walking buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,746
Default

But Coal mining can't expand if some of these parks are not abolished....
__________________
Alberta Fish and Wildlife Outdoor Recreation Policy -

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Rvsask Rvsask is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 245
Default

I feel like this an “out of sight out of mind” topic on this site. I’d be nervous if residing in AB.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2020, 12:59 PM
Dewey Cox's Avatar
Dewey Cox Dewey Cox is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 204
Posts: 4,263
Cool

I like parks as much, if not more than the next guy, but the government needs to cut back everywhere.
I can think of a lot of other places I'd prefer cutbacks, but sacrifices have to be made. We can't just spend forever.
__________________
Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2020, 03:40 PM
Mulehahn Mulehahn is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 782
Default

From what I gather though a large number of the 164 parks are just areas of land that is just designated parks. No services, for the most part no roads. Just places for people to go and enjoy nature.

I don't understand how delisting these is going to save any money. What money is being spent on them? I am all for cutting spending, the debt is out of control, but if no money is being spent then that raises serious questions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:36 PM
ruffy71 ruffy71 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 269
Default

And if money is being spent on them, stop spending, but leave them designated as parks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 PM
bsmitty27 bsmitty27 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East of the big smoke
Posts: 1,477
Default

The UPC has no problem spending money, that's for sure. It's just how the money being spent is prioritized.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2020, 08:11 PM
Map Maker Map Maker is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 1,338
Default

Audit Audit Audit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 PM
MrDave's Avatar
MrDave MrDave is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Innisfail
Posts: 1,054
Default

$32 a night for a tent and these idiots can't figure out why the parks are under used....
__________________
Its a tough life being outspoken. Even worse when, people hate hearing the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Outbound Outbound is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
$32 a night for a tent and these idiots can't figure out why the parks are under used....
We don't use parks for anything other than day use because of this cost. We camp on crown land. While we love our parks, if the cost to use them was more reasonable (maybe $10 - $15/night for tents), we'd spend much more time in them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2020, 07:17 AM
heretohunt's Avatar
heretohunt heretohunt is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,020
Default

I would be more interested in povincial parks if hunting was allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2020, 08:33 AM
Don Andersen Don Andersen is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I would be more interested in povincial parks if hunting was allowed.
Most of the campgrounds on the list occupy less than 5 acres.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2020, 09:11 AM
Bergerboy's Avatar
Bergerboy Bergerboy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: In your personal space.
Posts: 4,801
Default

I have more use for crown land than I do for parks. As per the comment of "once gone, they are gone forever" is untrue. There was 5 quarters that was Miquelon Park, got designated to crown land for 15 years for resource development and once complete, went back to park land. During that 15 years it was designated as crown land and was a nice place to hunt moose and upland. Now its gone again to the park system so it can go virtually unused.
__________________
When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspense.

Last edited by Bergerboy; 07-18-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Smoky buck Smoky buck is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4,688
Default

If these parks are just converting back to crown land itís a positive in my books. The only facilities I really use at prov parks is the boat launches and parking. I just canít bring myself to pay to camp in a parking lot with a bunch of other people. Itís just not for me
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2020, 11:41 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
$32 a night for a tent and these idiots can't figure out why the parks are under used....
Itís not actually cheap to maintain parks. Iím fine with the cost...I donít ďloveĒ paying that much but I understand.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2020, 02:07 PM
walking buffalo's Avatar
walking buffalo walking buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,746
Default

This move by the government is Not about saving dollars by eliminating parks maintenance costs.

It is about making money, Mostly through expanding resource extraction in areas where SOME of these parks are currently in the way.

It is not a co-incidence that the '76 coal development policy is rescinded just after the parks elimination is announced.

This will be a huge net loss for outdoors people, and especially for many wildlife species. Some people will gain prosperity.

It has been on the books for decades that wmu 402 upper Oldman/Livingstone is to be a resource extraction area with minimal environmental protection. This is why the timber has been allowed to be cut at such a fast rate. Now on to mining coal.
__________________
Alberta Fish and Wildlife Outdoor Recreation Policy -

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Don Andersen Don Andersen is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This move by the government is Not about saving dollars by eliminating parks maintenance costs.

It is about making money, Mostly through expanding resource extraction in areas where SOME of these parks are currently in the way.

It is not a co-incidence that the '76 coal development policy is rescinded just after the parks elimination is announced.

This will be a huge net loss for outdoors people, and especially for many wildlife species. Some people will gain prosperity.

It has been on the books for decades that wmu 402 upper Oldman/Livingstone is to be a resource extraction area with minimal environmental protection. This is why the timber has been allowed to be cut at such a fast rate. Now on to mining coal.
Strip the timber and gut the coal.
Both in the upper Oldman and the area between the Ram Rivers.
Whooppeeee!

Don
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Fisherdan Fisherdan is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This move by the government is Not about saving dollars by eliminating parks maintenance costs.

It is about making money, Mostly through expanding resource extraction in areas where SOME of these parks are currently in the way.

It is not a co-incidence that the '76 coal development policy is rescinded just after the parks elimination is announced.

This will be a huge net loss for outdoors people, and especially for many wildlife species. Some people will gain prosperity.

It has been on the books for decades that wmu 402 upper Oldman/Livingstone is to be a resource extraction area with minimal environmental protection. This is why the timber has been allowed to be cut at such a fast rate. Now on to mining coal.
Wow. That is starting to make sense now. United Conservative party of Adelaide...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2020, 08:12 PM
wannabe wannabe is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rosemary, AB
Posts: 512
Default

This is a good thing. Do some research before you get angry and shed some tears.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-2020, 09:51 PM
hilt134 hilt134 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 808
Default

I mean we have a crown land shortage in some areas. Not to mention the calls to close pleny of areas we use for hunting and shooting. this is the sort of thing im not sure there is a good answer
__________________
I seem to really be rather long winded.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-19-2020, 10:41 PM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WMU 303
Posts: 7,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
This is a good thing. Do some research before you get angry and shed some tears.
This.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 PM
lionel lionel is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I like parks as much, if not more than the next guy, but the government needs to cut back everywhere.
I can think of a lot of other places I'd prefer cutbacks, but sacrifices have to be made. We can't just spend forever.
$5 mil saving per year or $1.14 per Albertan.

Probably nothing shady though.....

UCPís pre covid deficit is larger than that of the NDPís.

Conservative fiscal responsibility is the biggest BS myth around.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-21-2020, 02:22 PM
HyperMOA HyperMOA is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton (shudder)
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
$5 mil saving per year or $1.14 per Albertan.

Probably nothing shady though.....

UCPís pre covid deficit is larger than that of the NDPís.

Conservative fiscal responsibility is the biggest BS myth around.
A deficit is based on income available. Whoís spending was higher; NDP or UCP? Iím actually curious. Since incomes are way down Pre-Covid they could cut spending and still have a higher deficit. Plus when the NDP came in and opened the spending floodgates itís hard to immediately just shut it off.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-21-2020, 02:32 PM
HyperMOA HyperMOA is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton (shudder)
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
$5 mil saving per year or $1.14 per Albertan.

Probably nothing shady though.....

UCPís pre covid deficit is larger than that of the NDPís.

Conservative fiscal responsibility is the biggest BS myth around.
A deficit is based on income available. Whoís spending was higher; NDP or UCP? Iím actually curious. Since incomes are way down Pre-Covid they could cut spending and still have a higher deficit. Plus when the NDP came in and opened the spending floodgates itís hard to immediately just shut it off.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Dewey Cox's Avatar
Dewey Cox Dewey Cox is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 204
Posts: 4,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
I mean we have a crown land shortage in some areas. Not to mention the calls to close pleny of areas we use for hunting and shooting. this is the sort of thing im not sure there is a good answer
We have a crown land shortage?
How exactly do you figure that?
__________________
Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-21-2020, 09:29 PM
300-510 300-510 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 257
Default unesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
Help make a difference and check out the I Use Alberta Parks website to make your voice heard and help stop the Alberta Government from it's plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others.

Website link: https://www.iusealbertaparks.org

Background information:

The Alberta government plans to close 20 park sites and delist 164 others, citing low visitor numbers and savings of $5 million (which equate to $1.14 per Albertan). Once these parks are delisted they no longer have any protection and can be converted into Crown Land, which does not have the same environmental and recreational protections as parks. Once we lose our parks, they're gone forever.

​The I Use Alberta Parks campaign was launched to help stop the loss of these parks. We are a group of concerned Albertans who love the wilderness and outdoor opportunities that our beautiful province has to offer. We want to demonstrate to the Alberta government that people love and use these parks - there is no good reason to shut them down.

How can you help? You can make a difference by simply showing that you visited a provincial park in Alberta. Whether you live in Alberta or not, if you have recently used one of the sites proposed for defunding let the Alberta government know that you use Alberta Parks.

Check out the website and make your voice heard!

https://www.iusealbertaparks.org
Would you rather unesco take care of ab campsites.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Iron Brew Iron Brew is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stony Plain
Posts: 2,182
Default

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-0c5fe99db112/
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-26-2020, 10:40 AM
MrDave's Avatar
MrDave MrDave is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Innisfail
Posts: 1,054
Default Where's the outrage?

Remember when these pretend outdoors people were so upset at the lack of consultation on the Bighorn Park? Boo hoo all over the place. We weren't consulted, we never had a chance on input. Almost 2 decades of research and effort had been done at that point, yet they teared up and got pouty.

Thousands of kilometers of hiking for electroshocking creeks for stats. Over a decade of work done under the PC government that was ignored; all the efforts of the biologists, the accountants, the admin staff, the volunteers, the wildlife officers, and countless others weren't listened to.
That wasn't good enough. Instead the people cried like little kids told no you may not have that candy.
Now the area in question is lined up for future destruction.

The silence is deafening. All the plans to protect land for future generations are being tossed. Hidden plans and emails revealed that they are planning to sell these parks if possible. Slowly the UCP snuck in changes that allow delisting and selling of these properties. A little a year ago, a bit more this spring.

Many complain about the foreign ownership of Canada, yet silence as our MLAs set about letting foreign ownership start to happen to our parks.

They've watched the video telling them that we(UCP) weren't planning on selling crown land. Our Ag Minister bluntly lied about it 2 weeks before it happened The Environment Minister won't answer questions about his lies. There is no response from them except for a "We told you so."

Will you wait for your camping spot to be closed? Are you ready for restrictions on bush camping in order to make Alberta Parks profitable? I hope so, I want you to cry some more.

You who are ignoring these changes, deserve to be made fun of. Not in my backyard attitudes are going to bite you hard. From logging, cattle grazing, to now coal mines.... Do you see the progression?
__________________
Its a tough life being outspoken. Even worse when, people hate hearing the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-26-2020, 10:42 AM
1899b's Avatar
1899b 1899b is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood Park Ab
Posts: 5,914
Default

I donít enjoy parks. Too many city folks bringing their city to the parks.

Itís always been crown land for this guy....
__________________
An awful lot of big game was killed with the .30-06 including the big bears before everyone became affluent enough to own a rifle for every species of game they might hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Brian Bildson Brian Bildson is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,092
Default

According to UCP interal documents released this week Nixon was told by his advisors he could face backlash for lack of public consultation. One of the problems with a "one party" legislature is BS like this.

Parks aren't just for today, they are a means to ensure as the province continues to grow we have places to recreate and connect. I have never even slept in an AB formal campground over the last 25 years but I've brought a lot of kids over the years for day trips and picnics.

I offered to take on the Sheep Creek campground on the Smoky River and was even provided with a web site to register my interest. I can make it earn and churn if they can't but I haven't heard anything as of yet. I'd rather they stayed in the hands of the province.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alberta parks, camping, fishing, fly fishing, hunting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.