Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Well I had my blood tests done and it the doctor thinks its Polymolagia Rheumatica
I thought you could only get that in Utah!

.....too soon lol. I feel your pain, as do many others here. I know I bucked up a half dozen big windfalls on Wednesday, still feel my right arm a bit. I did take 2 ibuprofen on night one with a full glass of water before hitting the sack. Next day I was actually less sore then I thought I'd be, considering I pretty much do sfa these days. Lower back pain is my main issue lately, thought it was a disc, but doc says facet joints, had to look it up. They seem to flair of their own free will.

I 100% agree about staying active without going overboard is the key, that and probably less sugar, but i'm an addict.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I thought you could only get that in Utah!

.....too soon lol. I feel your pain, as do many others here. I know I bucked up a half dozen big windfalls on Wednesday, still feel my right arm a bit. I did take 2 ibuprofen on night one with a full glass of water before hitting the sack. Next day I was actually less sore then I thought I'd be, considering I pretty much do sfa these days. Lower back pain is my main issue lately, thought it was a disc, but doc says facet joints, had to look it up. They seem to flair of their own free will.

I 100% agree about staying active without going overboard is the key, that and probably less sugar, but i'm an addict.
Man I love the sugar myself, and like you say not going overboard is the key,that's going to take some doing, take care and enjoy what you have. All the best.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:55 AM

In the last couple of months I've been moving stuff to storage, cleaning the wals in the old house, up and down and hanging on ladders, disassembling benches, loading and unloading the trailer and truck etc. Been more than a few days where something is sore, I haven't taken any painkillers, usually a hot bath in the evening takes care of the worst of it. Managed to twist/sprain one knee last wk, just kept going on it, it is thankfully almost back to normal, still a bit wobbly feeling in certain positions, but, working OK. My lower back is my gauge for the endurance level for the day, used to be about 12hrs on my feet, then it would hit, these days at age 66, it is down to about 4-6 hrs on concrete, about 4 hrs of constant lifting and moving etc. That one is due to a accident 35 yrs ago, it has pretty easy to get along with even still. This move has helped in a lot of ways, I have discovered muscle groups I didn't know could ache, but, all in all, doing pretty good. I do find myself just plodding slowly along, taking my time, taking a couple of minutes to sit to power up again when ever I please. I needed the workout, the tough part will be keeping up the constant exercise after the move is done. Once I have the garage fixed up with insulation, wallboards, gas, the fencing done and, some storage built, that is about when I'll consider it done. There will be a level of suck to it, some days higher than others, but, I keep going at it, Old, fat, out of shape bastard that I am.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
In the last couple of months I've been moving stuff to storage, cleaning the wals in the old house, up and down and hanging on ladders, disassembling benches, loading and unloading the trailer and truck etc. Been more than a few days where something is sore, I haven't taken any painkillers, usually a hot bath in the evening takes care of the worst of it. Managed to twist/sprain one knee last wk, just kept going on it, it is thankfully almost back to normal, still a bit wobbly feeling in certain positions, but, working OK. My lower back is my gauge for the endurance level for the day, used to be about 12hrs on my feet, then it would hit, these days at age 66, it is down to about 4-6 hrs on concrete, about 4 hrs of constant lifting and moving etc. That one is due to a accident 35 yrs ago, it has pretty easy to get along with even still. This move has helped in a lot of ways, I have discovered muscle groups I didn't know could ache, but, all in all, doing pretty good. I do find myself just plodding slowly along, taking my time, taking a couple of minutes to sit to power up again when ever I please. I needed the workout, the tough part will be keeping up the constant exercise after the move is done. Once I have the garage fixed up with insulation, wallboards, gas, the fencing done and, some storage built, that is about when I'll consider it done. There will be a level of suck to it, some days higher than others, but, I keep going at it, Old, fat, out of shape bastard that I am.
Well you seem to know how to pace yourself and that's half the battle, keeping busy that's the key,Take care and thanks for your 2 bits I appreciate it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:22 AM

I'm bumping this for the sake of Fish along and landowner.

I thought my hip and knee were both cr#pping out, but it turned out to be just my hip.
The surgeon told me that the only problem with my knee is mild arthritis, normal for my age. He said everyone with a hip problem is "fooled" because the nerve impulses travel to the thigh, then to the knee which make the knee feel painful.
They also travel sideways and make the back feel painful.

Anyway I had my hip replacement Oct 3rd. The surgeon took another look at my x-rays and decided that my case is an "emergency" because the ball and socket were almost non-existent.
Without surgery I stood a good chance of becoming permanently crippled, so he went ahead.

The pain was horrendous afterwards, but "different" somehow. There's no such thing as "good pain" but it seemed to indicate healing. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry.

The pain has been easing, even if I miss a pain-killer dose, and I'm almost walking with a cane although I usually still use a walker. Looks like its healing well. I have an appointment with the clinic for more x-rays and I think I'll get good news. I hope to be walking normally in a few weeks.

The bottom line is get it done because its probably the smartest move you can make.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ee+replacement

Old 10-17-2021, 10:39 AM

Rototilling

Unnatural movements. You rattled some muscles that you dont use all the time.

Rest and anti inflammatory meds for a couple days

Normal condition for what you did. You SHOULD be sore.

Rest. Time.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:46 AM

Default Pmr

Well im still dealing with this PMR stuff and im taking 2-1/2 prednisone per day ive had a very good summer though i managed to get the shingles ripped of my garage and replaced with tin,and i replaced two windows in the front of my house. I have enough potatoes for the winter only because my 90 year old friend insisted on planting them for me. I have a lot to be thankful for,we are all getting older and some seem to be handling it better than others which is the way it goes. Im happy to be able to converse with you guys it makes life a lot easier,Still some great people on here, thanks again and may the wind be always at your back..David.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm bumping this for the sake of Fish along and landowner.

I thought my hip and knee were both cr#pping out, but it turned out to be just my hip.
The surgeon told me that the only problem with my knee is mild arthritis, normal for my age. He said everyone with a hip problem is "fooled" because the nerve impulses travel to the thigh, then to the knee which make the knee feel painful.
They also travel sideways and make the back feel painful.

Anyway I had my hip replacement Oct 3rd. The surgeon took another look at my x-rays and decided that my case is an "emergency" because the ball and socket were almost non-existent.
Without surgery I stood a good chance of becoming permanently crippled, so he went ahead.

The pain was horrendous afterwards, but "different" somehow. There's no such thing as "good pain" but it seemed to indicate healing. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry.

The pain has been easing, even if I miss a pain-killer dose, and I'm almost walking with a cane although I usually still use a walker. Looks like its healing well. I have an appointment with the clinic for more x-rays and I think I'll get good news. I hope to be walking normally in a few weeks.

The bottom line is get it done because its probably the smartest move you can make.

Im glad to hear that your surgery was successful although much pain. i have a friend who recently had a hip replacement and loads of pain afterwards as well but hes doing better every day. All the best to you sir.