Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-14-2021, 10:03 PM
Sitkaspruce Sitkaspruce is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort St. John BC
Posts: 345
Default

To transport our kayaks, we use these

https://maloneautoracks.com/SeaWing-TM.html

We have a canopy on the truck w/roof racks and roof racks on the Santa Fe and these work great!

Easy to install, easy to load and they transport the kayaks safely and well strapped down.

I researched a ton and we decided on these after trying a couple others.

They allow us to bring the kayaks when we travel with the trailer.

Cheers

SS
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-14-2021, 10:56 PM
thumper's Avatar
thumper thumper is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canmore
Posts: 4,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
To transport our kayaks, we use these

https://maloneautoracks.com/SeaWing-TM.html

We have a canopy on the truck w/roof racks and roof racks on the Santa Fe and these work great!

Easy to install, easy to load and they transport the kayaks safely and well strapped down.

I researched a ton and we decided on these after trying a couple others.

They allow us to bring the kayaks when we travel with the trailer.

Cheers

SS
Same here, I've used these Malone 'wings' for 15+ years, for 2, heavy Hobie kayaks, and they work very well.
__________________
The world is changed by your action, not by your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-15-2021, 09:23 AM
HuyFishin's Avatar
HuyFishin HuyFishin is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,655
Default

The mega wings and sea wings hold very well and itís snug . loading the flat bottom style hulls on it I find it a little more tricky. It seems harder to guide on. Where has the v bottom hull is easier since the V shape guides itself and fits snug, flat bottom leaves a gap and it just sits on the top edges.

See photo below


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
www.huyfishin.com

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-15-2021, 09:37 AM
DirtShooter's Avatar
DirtShooter DirtShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 337
Default

I may have to look into one of the sea wings for my Pelican Catch 120. Might be easier to load. J-Hooks will work fine for the wife's 10ft pelican. Got all winter to figure it out!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 PM
dutchman dutchman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 70
Default

Here's another good winter project. I made my cart out of things lying around the shop. The first one had wheels from a golf cart and it worked ok, as long as the ground was not too rough. I now have 14" wheels, off an old lawn mower and rolls great over rough terrain.
The top T (with the foam) and the one on the ground just pull out, takes about 5 seconds to dis-mantle -
For me it cost nothing, just a couple hours building it. Yes I know you can go buy something for $100+ but what's the fun in that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10181.jpg (104.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20211015_182314.jpg (79.3 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-15-2021, 08:59 PM
Sitkaspruce Sitkaspruce is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort St. John BC
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The mega wings and sea wings hold very well and itís snug . loading the flat bottom style hulls on it I find it a little more tricky. It seems harder to guide on. Where has the v bottom hull is easier since the V shape guides itself and fits snug, flat bottom leaves a gap and it just sits on the top edges.

See photo below


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Pescador is flat bottom and the Necky has the V bottom. Loading from the back of the truck makes it easy to load both; lift up and place on the wings, then grab the back and push up and forward. Little bit different on the Santa Fe, but still better than other options. I really like the support of the Wings, especially on the back roads as they hold tight and don't shake loose.

Cheers

SS
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-15-2021, 09:13 PM
thumper's Avatar
thumper thumper is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canmore
Posts: 4,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
My Pescador is flat bottom and the Necky has the V bottom. Loading from the back of the truck makes it easy to load both; lift up and place on the wings, then grab the back and push up and forward. Little bit different on the Santa Fe, but still better than other options. I really like the support of the Wings, especially on the back roads as they hold tight and don't shake loose.

Cheers

SS
I use rubber bungee straps to hold down my kayaks. - the heavy, black ones with 'S' Hooks on the end - that truckers use to hold down their tarps. Unlike ratchet and fabric straps, they never come loose - even when soaking wet. It's easy to deform your hull by ratcheting down straps too hard, but a correctly sized heavy-duty bungee will hold your yak snug, without damage. If you're on a rough road, or washboard, your yak is constantly being flung against the straps. With fabric or rope, the knots tighten, and the yak becomes loose. Even if thrown against the restraints and momentarily 'afloat', the bungees instantly pull the yak back into a snug state.
__________________
The world is changed by your action, not by your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-16-2021, 09:37 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 21,049
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The mega wings and sea wings hold very well and itís snug . loading the flat bottom style hulls on it I find it a little more tricky. It seems harder to guide on. Where has the v bottom hull is easier since the V shape guides itself and fits snug, flat bottom leaves a gap and it just sits on the top edges.

See photo below


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Nice set up ya got there!

Simple yet practical.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-16-2021, 09:38 AM
DirtShooter's Avatar
DirtShooter DirtShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Here's another good winter project. I made my cart out of things lying around the shop. The first one had wheels from a golf cart and it worked ok, as long as the ground was not too rough. I now have 14" wheels, off an old lawn mower and rolls great over rough terrain.
The top T (with the foam) and the one on the ground just pull out, takes about 5 seconds to dis-mantle -
For me it cost nothing, just a couple hours building it. Yes I know you can go buy something for $100+ but what's the fun in that?
Thought about building a couple of these but my time + materials I was able to pick up a couple from sportchek for $70 each. I didn't have any spare wheels kicking around and those were the bulk of the price when I looked at it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 PM
fishingnut fishingnut is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 197
Default

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just made my order for a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL. Pick it up some time next year.

I dont have roof rails on my SUV, but was thinking of purchasing the Thule SquareBar EVO system for my SUV. Says max weight is 165lbs, do you think this system would be enough to handle this kayak and a sit in style kayak also? My daughter has a sit in style kayak and loves to fish with me so I would taking both kayaks when I go out.

Thanks again for everyone feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-18-2021, 10:04 AM
HuyFishin's Avatar
HuyFishin HuyFishin is online now
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just made my order for a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL. Pick it up some time next year.

I dont have roof rails on my SUV, but was thinking of purchasing the Thule SquareBar EVO system for my SUV. Says max weight is 165lbs, do you think this system would be enough to handle this kayak and a sit in style kayak also? My daughter has a sit in style kayak and loves to fish with me so I would taking both kayaks when I go out.

Thanks again for everyone feedback!

Congratulations on your new order.

What kind of SUV are you going to be car topping on? Many people think if the load bars have a weight capacity of 165lb then they are safe. Some vehicles have a weight cap limit based on the vehicle structure. So for example if your vehicle has a weight capacity of 150lb and those bars are 25lb then technically you only have 125lb weight capacity left. 165 lbs is a general number for the bars itself not for your vehicle.

Most likely you will be fine but for legal and safety reason no company will recommend you ever go over weight capacity.

Most guys carrying kayaks on there roof are always over capacity. Especially the guys with Thule hullavators since those things are big massive weights.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
www.huyfishin.com

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Stella Stella is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just made my order for a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL. Pick it up some time next year.

I dont have roof rails on my SUV, but was thinking of purchasing the Thule SquareBar EVO system for my SUV. Says max weight is 165lbs, do you think this system would be enough to handle this kayak and a sit in style kayak also? My daughter has a sit in style kayak and loves to fish with me so I would taking both kayaks when I go out.

Thanks again for everyone feedback!
I have a truck with a box cover. Did not want to get rid of the cover so i bought a bed extender and a set of Thule Roof rails. Then I built a bunk system similar to a boat trailer out of PVC pipe that is running in between the roof rails and the extender. its about 8ft between roof rails and bed extender. So I have roughly a foot overhang in the front then the remaining length in the back.The roof rails said 165lbs, but with doing it this way i am dispersing the weight throughout, and i have even made it so the bed extender is a little lower then the front so more weight is put on the back end. Not sure how much weight is on the front but its alot less then putting two kayaks directly on the top of the truck roof. Plus it allows me to have another area to tie them down in the middle this way.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-18-2021, 08:36 PM
DirtShooter's Avatar
DirtShooter DirtShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingnut View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just made my order for a Old Towne Sportsman 106 PDL. Pick it up some time next year.

I dont have roof rails on my SUV, but was thinking of purchasing the Thule SquareBar EVO system for my SUV. Says max weight is 165lbs, do you think this system would be enough to handle this kayak and a sit in style kayak also? My daughter has a sit in style kayak and loves to fish with me so I would taking both kayaks when I go out.

Thanks again for everyone feedback!
I have that set up on our explorer, my catch 120 and misson 100 fit on it just fine and collectively weight about 140lbs
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-21-2021, 09:47 AM
StringTheory's Avatar
StringTheory StringTheory is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Congratulations on your new order.

What kind of SUV are you going to be car topping on? Many people think if the load bars have a weight capacity of 165lb then they are safe. Some vehicles have a weight cap limit based on the vehicle structure. So for example if your vehicle has a weight capacity of 150lb and those bars are 25lb then technically you only have 125lb weight capacity left. 165 lbs is a general number for the bars itself not for your vehicle.

Most likely you will be fine but for legal and safety reason no company will recommend you ever go over weight capacity.

Most guys carrying kayaks on there roof are always over capacity. Especially the guys with Thule hullavators since those things are big massive weights.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That' a very good choice! I also have a Sportsman PDL 106 on order for the spring. I think it will be the perfect kayak for Alberta waters. If you (or any OT anglers) need parts for your kayak, send me a message! I have a small inventory of commonly broken parts for PDL's and Autopilots to keep our boats on the water.

I am certainly guilty of overloading my racks with kayaks. When I first started kayaking I only had one, so I didnt think about it. Then suddenly I had two, and then they got bigger and weighed down with more stuff. One day my racks started to shift when travelling down the highway in a heavy crosswind - not good!

Now I pay more attention. I am still overloaded on the hullavators but I have put them through their paces and thoroughly inspect all bolts and pins regularly. I am currently waiting for a rack for my canopy that will have the capacity I need to haul almost anything - so I'll be good to go for next season.

If you are going to take the chance, do it as safe as possible. Tie down your boat front to back using good quality rope and straps, check your load often, and re-tighten those rack bolts regularly!

__________________
Old Town Kayak Fishing Pro-Staff
Visit my blog:
www.stringtheoryangling.ca
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM
CardiacCowboy CardiacCowboy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 193
Default

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I was going to try to pick up one of those Costco kayaks in the Spring. Now I am thinking might be better to get the ones mentioned here even if it means waiting another season. I want use it in pot hole ponds, but also bigger lakes like, pine colee, k-lakes, spray and float the bow. A combo of adventuring and fishing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.