Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-13-2021, 10:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Default GFW Market-talk with Guy Groenewold

Forum kinda dead these days! How about some USA fur market talk to spice up your day? Be warned, a lot of the context on coyotes centers around Wisconson type coyotes, but still enlightening.

Market Talk with Guy Groenewold

https://fb.watch/7_-RIAwUBM/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTwwIjj..._web_copy_link

https://youtu.be/Au_fHENhoDM
Old 09-27-2021, 09:27 PM

So what is Martys take on Alberta coyotes?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 PM
AO Sponsor

People tell me it's too early to tell for certain where the market will exactly be. Some of the indicators look good, considering the goose people quiting fur.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:42 AM
AO Sponsor

DO NOT HARVEST EARLY FLAT COYOTES THIS YEAR.

Nobody wants them. The odd guy might buy some by "mistake"(??) but outside of that nobody really wants them.

Unless you just trapping for fun and don't care about the steep downgrade.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
DO NOT HARVEST EARLY FLAT COYOTES THIS YEAR.

Nobody wants them. The odd guy might buy some by "mistake"(??) but outside of that nobody really wants them.

Unless you just trapping for fun and don't care about the steep downgrade.
What’s your thoughts on average time of prime ness Marty? To me around here it’s mid November to December at the earliest
Old 10-09-2021, 11:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
What’s your thoughts on average time of prime ness Marty? To me around here it’s mid November to December at the earliest
Always nice to determine what a person’s definition of “prime” means. Fully prime as in completely developed, fully haired pelts with fully developed wool. You should find these by Dec 1 and they will be better by Christmas.

Lots of November skins look nice, are developing wonderfully but lack wool down the center of the back. We’d often get big $$$ when we’d send them to NAFA but a lot of them will actually fall in the “underdeveloped category”. Closer to Dec 1 the better.

Season to season, grade will often reflect demand, hungry buying companies will be more gracious and overlook things than same buying companies another year that are full of goods and short on capital.

My favourite “prime” coyotes are the non-blemished skins amongst the late season collection. Fully grown max length hair, full and extra heavy underwool, espcially ona deep snow winter when the fur snow brightens.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Always nice to determine what a person’s definition of “prime” means. Fully prime as in completely developed, fully haired pelts with fully developed wool. You should find these by Dec 1 and they will be better by Christmas.

Lots of November skins look nice, are developing wonderfully but lack wool down the center of the back. We’d often get big $$$ when we’d send them to NAFA but a lot of them will actually fall in the “underdeveloped category”. Closer to Dec 1 the better.

Season to season, grade will often reflect demand, hungry buying companies will be more gracious and overlook things than same buying companies another year that are full of goods and short on capital.

My favourite “prime” coyotes are the non-blemished skins amongst the late season collection. Fully grown max length hair, full and extra heavy underwool, espcially ona deep snow winter when the fur snow brightens.
Prime enough to not get docked for in prime.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Default prime

Guys if you review the trapping regulations you will find a page that lists prime fur for each animal species.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:04 PM
AO Sponsor

X
Old 10-11-2021, 03:26 PM
AO Sponsor

I should clarify a little. Hate to cause a panic!!!

My statement, “do not harvest early coyotes” by that i mean the stuff pre-Oct 15. Some areas in the south that can also be inclusive of goods to Oct 21 and even some goods to Nov 1.

Depends on area and also the season.

If you wait til Dec, then most everything is real nice

Many Nov goods will be saleable, but if i was the person buying the coyotes AND making trim with them, id tell people i dont want nothing until December and i still might reject the Dec pups. Thats the Beasley in me!

Lotsa Nov coyotes are flat down the centers, on their backs, thpugh the sides are priming up. Take a Nov 1 skin, dried, and fold it over to see what a trim would look like. If the pelt doesnt have “body” down the center, as in no cushion die to a lack of under wool, then the skin is not “prime” from a hair prime ness
standpoint.

But definitely do what you want!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:06 AM

Default prime

Some people claim it is the 'angle of sun' that cause animals to prime up much like when elk rut starts. I for one have my own theory. I watch my springer dogs and horses in fall. It seems as soon as we get some real heavy frosts then within days they start to wool up with shaggy coats. My theory is the shivering is mother natures way of preparing their winter coats for the cold weather.