Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2016, 04:33 PM

Default idling my truck?

I just got a job in the patch with a 12hr work day and a 40min drive each way. If needed (cold) I will idle my truck for long periods of time.

Is this hard on a gas engine? What are the consequences? and is there a proper way to do it?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs View Post
I just got a job in the patch with a 12hr work day and a 40min drive each way. If needed (cold) I will idle my truck for long periods of time.

Is this hard on a gas engine? What are the consequences? and is there a proper way to do it?
1 hour idiling is equal to 22km driving (approxi believe)

Synthetic oil, or frequently changing conventional oil. Put a winter front on so it doesn't have to work so hard to stay at temperature.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:54 PM

OK then riddle me this; What's the reason behind letting the engine idle so much?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Banned

Can't really give you any advice but to say ... in my opinion a slow idle is hard on gas and diesel engine's ... but a cold start after many hour's can put more wear on an engine than a few hour's idling ... it's a toss up ... if I couldn't plug in anywhere at -20 I let her sit all day and fire up ... at -30 fire her up every 5 hour's and run for 1 ... at -40 a 3and 1 for me .
Old 11-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
OK then riddle me this; What's the reason behind letting the engine idle so much?

What he said.....?

And excessive idleing isnt good for anything.

Gas, diesel, doesnt matter.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Can't really give you any advice but to say ... in my opinion a slow idle is hard on gas and diesel engine's ... but a cold start after many hour's can put more wear on an engine than a few hour's idling ... it's a toss up ... if I couldn't plug in anywhere at -20 I let her sit all day and fire up ... at -30 fire her up every 5 hour's and run for 1 ... at -40 a 3and 1 for me .
I disagree, multiple cold starts isn't going to save you any wear. Id rather cold start my truck once, rather than repeatedly.

At 30 below, the truck is stone cold again in 5 hours, certainly the oil sitting in the pan is.

Run good syntheic winter oil in the truck and light it up at the end of the day.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Let it sit and start at end of day. Run a quality synthetic oil. If bothers you that much, can always run an espar heater. They build them to run on gas, or just a regular diesel one and put in a 5 gallon tank in box of truck

Idling causes a lot of unneccesary wear
Old 11-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Espars are what we used on our trucks when I was working at reindeer station and some of the diamond mines
Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM

I will be working in my truck and thats why it will be idling. I need to stay warm.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
I disagree, multiple cold starts isn't going to save you any wear. Id rather cold start my truck once, rather than repeatedly.

At 30 below, the truck is stone cold again in 5 hours, certainly the oil sitting in the pan is.

Run good syntheic winter oil in the truck and light it up at the end of the day.
Yup ... like I said ... It's a toss up ... I only gave my opinion on how I would run my unit .... wear and tear will probably be equal ... only giving my 2 cent's
Old 11-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I will be working in my truck and thats why it will be idling. I need to stay warm.
Cool ... let her run ... having a warm arse is more important than a chunk of iron !!!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:06 PM

When I ran a service truck she'd run all day! I ate my lunch in there, wrote reports and got the feeling back in my fingers. Run it and stomp on it to blow the carbon out on the ride home. And trade it in every 100000 km and let the crowd that always buys used deal with it!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
When I ran a service truck she'd run all day! I ate my lunch in there, wrote reports and got the feeling back in my fingers. Run it and stomp on it to blow the carbon out on the ride home. And trade it in every 100000 km and let the crowd that always buys used deal with it!
Yep, it isnt ideal.

But its better than sitting in the cold. Run er hard on the way home.

Idling isnt good, but is what it is. And not really much you can do.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:24 PM

Idle no more.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Just make sure to change your oil every 600 or so engine hours. Heck, a guy I know was looking at a used Duramax that looked pretty nice only had 70,000 miles. Interior looked pretty warn out though. Turns out it was a slope truck from Alaska and had 17,000 engine hours on it... but that engine still ran like a Swiss watch and had zero blowby.

I probably wouldn't worry a whole lot anyway with a gas job. Only vehicles you really had to be careful of excessive idling with are the newer diesels with the DPF.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned

With all the cutbacks on carbon pollution we could use some more idlers to keep our forests and wildlife habitat healthy.

A gas motor shouldn't have a problem cold starting. It will cost more on fuel idling all day than the unlikely issues of a cold start twice a day.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Think some trucks now keep track of hours on the motor as well as km. for that reason.
Grizz
Old 11-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Myself, as well as others probably; I'm at the point where if the truck isn't idiling something is weird.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Banned

http://www.espar.ca/site/coolant-heaters/
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Go to a mechanic and get advice from a knowledgeable professional. You may find you have more things to question than you presently know.
I'm not a mechanic and I'm not about to reply to your question by saying I don't know anything about the mechanics of the question. It's unlikely your regular mechanic will charge you for information.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:26 PM

Dont use the Km's driven as your datum for oil change. Idling is fine as long as you change the oil more often than usual with quality lubricants.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 AM

My 2008 dodge is still pipelining with me, idles almost year round. Change your oil and blow out the carbon when you can. When using your truck for work you usually aren't in one location long enough to bother shutting it off.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Banned

Start my truck in the morning. Turn it off at night.

Keep the rad clear in the summer so she don't overheat when you leave it idling with the AC on.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Just make sure to change your oil every 600 or so engine hours. Heck, a guy I know was looking at a used Duramax that looked pretty nice only had 70,000 miles. Interior looked pretty warn out though. Turns out it was a slope truck from Alaska and had 17,000 engine hours on it... but that engine still ran like a Swiss watch and had zero blowby.

I probably wouldn't worry a whole lot anyway with a gas job. Only vehicles you really had to be careful of excessive idling with are the newer diesels with the DPF.

My manufacturer shoots for an average of 50 km/h. With that target you're looking more toward the 200 hour range as an interval for service, as with the 600 figure you'd be the equivalent of 30 000 km per oil change.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's different then. Let it run
Old 11-06-2016, 08:30 AM

Good answers all of the above.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Meal Farm View Post
My manufacturer shoots for an average of 50 km/h. With that target you're looking more toward the 200 hour range as an interval for service, as with the 600 figure you'd be the equivalent of 30 000 km per oil change.
What manufacturer?
Old 11-06-2016, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about idling not going to hurt that much. Just you won't be able to go buy km on your oil changes. The diesels now a days will plug up the dpf if idled to much. The older diesels didn't get hot enough to burn the diesel and washed the cylinders and wrecked them, that's why they kicked into high idle is to make heat. But gas will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM

One a side note put your park brake on and shift into neutral instead of park! That way your tranny oil is circulating and lubes all the stuff up good!

Lots of dodge diesels burnt there transmissions out by letting the idle in park to long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

I have a 2000 Vortec gas V8, GMC 4x4 1500 with 550,000 klm on the odometer, it also has about 11,000 hours of idle time

Still gets around 21 mpg average , don't burn any oil between oil changes,

It always has oil and filter every 90 days, and runs a 205 thermostat