Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Default Nl coyote!!!!

Here is a pic of a NL coyote, they say they might be crossed with a wolf!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:50 PM

can they even breed together?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM
sheephunter

Wonder what makes them think is a wolf cross? Looks like a coyote to me.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
wonder what makes them think is a wolf cross? Looks like a coyote to me.
x2

lc
Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Not to sure but Ive heard them being snared and weighing as much a 90lbs....
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Not to sure but Ive heard them being snared and weighing as much a 90lbs....
They have some really big coyotes out east. Much larger than ours.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
They have some really big coyotes out east. Much larger than ours.
Yes, some people refer to them as "brush wolves".

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 PM

maybe they just mean that because eastern yotes are larger than western yotes that there is wolf in all the eastern yotes? maybe.....?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM

There are a few articles on the net about it.

Study finds wolf DNA in Eastern coyotes

Quote:
For years, scientists have known that Eastern coyotes are considerably larger than their Western counterparts.

A groundbreaking research project has revealed why: Eastern coyotes have a little wolf in them.

Two teams of researchers, one that studied coyotes from New Jersey to Maine and one that studied coyotes in the Cape Cod-Boston area, tested tissue samples from some of their subjects. The samples turned out to contain both wolf and coyote DNA...
Old 11-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Default east vs. west

Since the fur prices are generally much higher for a western coyote than east I am guessing the true eastern coyote is smaller than the western.

I recall a trapper in sudbury trying to sell me a coyote many years ago when I lived there and it wouldn't have gone much over 25-36 pounds. We average 55 pounds here. suspect the mix of coyotes and wolf in the east in as has already been mentioned a "brush wolf"fts
Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Since the fur prices are generally much higher for a western coyote than east I am guessing the true eastern coyote is smaller than the western.

I recall a trapper in sudbury trying to sell me a coyote many years ago when I lived there and it wouldn't have gone much over 25-36 pounds. We average 55 pounds here. suspect the mix of coyotes and wolf in the east in as has already been mentioned a "brush wolf"fts
all the shows i watch say easterns are typically larger than westerns.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Thats crazy!! Huge
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I kill a pile of yotes and I would say say I have never killed a 50 pounder. The average weight of Alberta coyotes is no where near 55 lbs.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
I kill a pile of yotes and I would say say I have never killed a 50 pounder. The average weight of Alberta coyotes is no where near 55 lbs.
agreed...... avg weight is more like 30-35 lbs. males can be larger of course and females smaller.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM

I kept track of coyotes I shot in my area for a couple of winters. The average was 32 lbs and change, I can't recall the breakdown between male and female but I do remember two GIANT males. the largest I have ever weighed. One at 42lbs the other at 44 and they looked huge. Can't even imagine an 80lb "yote !!!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
There are a few articles on the net about it.

Study finds wolf DNA in Eastern coyotes
I'll bet if you DNA your dog, you'll find a little wolf . Looks like a straight coyote to me. You would think if there was some dog or wolf there, it would be expressed in appearance, other than size. Nutrition and climate could be a factor and maybe they live longer than ours.

Grizz
Old 11-06-2011, 07:05 PM

I thought most canine species could interbreed?

I saw a documentary on Discovery about Coyotes, which was mostly based in Vancouver, however it did mention the wolf/coyote cross in Newfoundland and that they are concerned as they have the size/strength of a wolf and the brains and adaptability of a coyote. Don't know if it is because they have so many Moose there or if it was a freak occurrence or what necessitated the cross.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Looks like a big coyote...
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'll bet if you DNA your dog, you'll find a little wolf .
Grizz
ill bet thats correct. all dogs are wolves.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Here is a pic of a NL coyote, they say they might be crossed with a wolf!!!

I actually watched something on this, aswell. Following some Coyote attacks out east, they started looking into their genetic history. Turns out they have a Wolf lineage, and hunt more as packs than solitary, and tend to have larger canines, and body mass. Was pretty interesting.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM

My buddy shot one out by Viking about 8 years ago that was an honest 50lbs....we took it into Halford's when Jeff T was working there as a buyer....he said it was the largest coyote he had ever taken in and it was really nice and white...my buddy got $100 cash for the whole coyote. This was when prices were high and a whole coyote would go for $25-45. I'll see if I have a pic of it....

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Its true they are crossed with a wolf and that is in fact why they have grown larger over the generations, Newfoundland has had coyotes for a while althought not where i lived until recently.
It was said they were crossed with a red wolf from labrador, and that they crossed into nfld across ice in the winter im not sure what the real story is but they definitely have cross bread with something over the genrations,or maybe just naturally bigger, 90LBS sounds more like a small wolf to me but who knows for sure.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'll bet if you DNA your dog, you'll find a little wolf . Looks like a straight coyote to me. You would think if there was some dog or wolf there, it would be expressed in appearance, other than size. Nutrition and climate could be a factor and maybe they live longer than ours.

Grizz
Its possible u have a good point typically here in the west coyotes have to endure cold harsh winters and most surcome to mange and other disease, i know back east in nfld in particular, we have more wet winters and temps typically don"t get to the bone chillers you get out here, there are lots of rabbits and grouse but as for moose i can't really see a yote doing any damage unless they pack up which could be the case.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 PM

I have pictures of a few coyotes that my buddies have taken back home.
They are well over 60 lbs.

I'll upload some tomorrow...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My buddy shot one out by Viking about 8 years ago that was an honest 50lbs....we took it into Halford's when Jeff T was working there as a buyer....he said it was the largest coyote he had ever taken in and it was really nice and white...my buddy got $100 cash for the whole coyote. This was when prices were high and a whole coyote would go for $25-45. I'll see if I have a pic of it....

LC
Here is the pic....my buddy is 6 feet tall....this was the biggest coyote we have taken and it was a true 50 lber. Notice how thick in the chest it is...

LC
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM

They are huge for a coyote compared to the west. Don't know about the wolf thing. Side note, the black bears in NL are also larger.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanerG View Post
They are huge for a coyote compared to the west. Don't know about the wolf thing. Side note, the black bears in NL are also larger.
Probably bred with blacker bears.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM

I have see and skinned enough coyotes to say that this dog has a cross bred into him. I have only seen one cross bred coyote and it was probably in the 70 pound range. Rare, maybe one in a few thousand but they happen. But maybe I a, crazy..
Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Default Fur

Quote:

This is just a guess on my part, but im guessing they coyotes ot west have thicker coats because of the way colder temps, thus the higher price. Might be totaally wrong but it makes sense to me lol. PS I have been known to be wrong before lol
Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
This is just a guess on my part, but im guessing they coyotes ot west have thicker coats because of the way colder temps, thus the higher price. Might be totaally wrong but it makes sense to me lol. PS I have been known to be wrong before lol

im guessing the westerns are whiter and pale compared to the darker eastern ones?