Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Alcan al-5 load data 12 ga

Hi all I'm looking for some data for 12 ga 2 3/4" using al-5 powder. If anyone has some info from earlier reloading books it would be very helpful I can't find much on the net.
Thanks in advance,
Caliber
Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Tough to find

I inherited a lot of old books and even some AL 5 powder but in looking thorugh cil data even from 71-75 no mention of AL 5 loads.
Second edition of Lyman shotshell manual (1976?) page 135 shows 12 gauge 2 3/4 folded crimp 1 1/4 oz heavy field loads 32 grains of AL-5 Alcan 220 max-fire primer with one Alcan air wedge & one 1/2 inch feltan bluestreak reaching 1210 fps and 9500 l.u.p. (pressure)

Another is page 156:31 gr AL-5 with CCI 157 primer One Alcan PGS, 2 1/4 inch feltan bluestreaks and one Alcan quick sert for 1245 fps and 8460 l.u.p. again for 1 1/4 oz. heavy field load

Not even sure where you would find these old components?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Talking

Thanks wwbirds, I inherited the powder and a few reloading supplies from my grandfather, it has the old fiber wads, powder cards and shot cards plus and old roll crimper. I've been using my lee load all for a while but never loaded fiber wads just plastic ones. I guess my question would be can I use the over powder wad with a fiber wad to build the load?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Great link !! Alcan manual from the 60s

Just had a great link sent to me if anyone is interested
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/Alcan.pdf
Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Default maybe Cat can help

I have only used plastic wads so have no experience in over cards etc. I just don't like uncharted territory as a reloader.
Rob
Old 12-28-2013, 05:44 PM

I think I have some data somewhere, I'll dig it up....
BTW, if you need any load data for fibre wads just PM e, I've got a ton of it , and load them in all gauges in both BP and smokeless.
Cat
Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Al-5 is a powder mainly for heavy
1 1/4 oz loads in the 12 gauge but I also have data for the 20 gauge 7/8 oz loads as well . However, most of the data I have
(Lyman 2nd Edition) uses the Alcan air wedge gas seal
Cat
Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Thanks wwbirds, I inherited the powder and a few reloading supplies from my grandfather, it has the old fiber wads, powder cards and shot cards plus and old roll crimper. I've been using my lee load all for a while but never loaded fiber wads just plastic ones. I guess my question would be can I use the over powder wad with a fiber wad to build the load?
You can certainly use the wads, i have lots of fibre wads in the original Alcan boxes, Herter's , C.I.L., etc.
Basically they are all the same stuff, either hard Nitro card wads or fibre wads like Buffalo board.
The over shot wads , of course, are .035 paper.

The issue here, of course, is that unless you want to shoot NonTox loads for water fowl, or heavy pheasant loads with lead, and have the over powder Air Wedges, you cannot use the Al-5 powder without proper data, and I have no burn rate charts that correspond to it.
Cat
Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You can certainly use the wads, i have lots of fibre wads in the original Alcan boxes, Herter's , C.I.L., etc.
Basically they are all the same stuff, either hard Nitro card wads or fibre wads like Buffalo board.
The over shot wads , of course, are .035 paper.

The issue here, of course, is that unless you want to shoot NonTox loads for water fowl, or heavy pheasant loads with lead, and have the over powder Air Wedges, you cannot use the Al-5 powder without proper data, and I have no burn rate charts that correspond to it.
Cat
AL5 is very close to winchester W-500HS
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btridge View Post
AL5 is very close to winchester W-500HS
Great hot any data because o don't see that powder listed In My cross over sheet either
Cat
Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 PM

Thank for the info cat, I'll pm for sure I Would like to load with the fiber wads.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Thank for the info cat, I'll pm for sure I Would like to load with the fiber wads.
I am afraid that the AL-5 powder you have is pretty obsolete and had a very narrow application anyway, there are far better out there to load with fibre wads.
Cat