Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2022, 10:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Tornado?

Anybody hear anything about the storm that hid Hines Creek last Friday.

There was some talk of there being a tornado with that storm. Haven't heard anything since Tuesday at which point it still wasn't clear if it was a tornado or something else.

I was about five minutes from Hines when it hit. Where I was the winds weren't too bad but the rain was incredible.
I had to pull off the road and wait it out. Visibility was only around ten feet.

Once it was over I went on into Hines to fuel up but the road was blocked by locals who told me there were power lines down all over town.

I could see trees snapped off in every dirrection and some sheds overturned including a big open faced shed at the museum.

There was no power on anywhere so I couldn't fuel up. So I headed west hoping I could make it to FSJ on the fuel I had.

About ten miles west I came upon a downed power pole on the main line.

The line is a primary line so the pole was big, maybe 20 inches at ground level. It was sheered off right at the ground. no other poles were down as far as I could see which lead me to suspect a twister hit that one.

I called it in then went on my way.

So I'm wondering if there really was a twister in that storm.
Anybody know?

George Bernard Shaw