Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Default TSS Shot

I was just reading about the new TSS shot. #9 TSS carries the same energy as #5 lead. The price is very high now, but apparently this shot in 410, is comparable to lead in a 20 gauge, and TSS in 28 gauge is comparable to lead in a 12 gauge.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/ammo-...en-super-shot/
Old 10-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Banned

$10/shot usd
Old 10-26-2019, 09:51 AM

If you reload it's worth playing with in my opinion. I am interested in duplexing the shot charge with steel 3's and 9 TSS shot. Dave in Arizona has a good blog here https://pipesf16.wordpress.com that discusses this a bit. You have to look through his blogs on the side to find it. Rotometals out of California has good prices on bismuth shot and is often on sale. I'm considering shooting 20 and 28 gauge guns for everything next year reloading bismuth or TSS or lighter tungsten shot. If you shoot enough skeet, trap, and sporting clays throughout the year to actually hit what you are shooting at consistently reloading and shooting more expensive and higher quality shells makes sense to me. If you miss a lot I'd say just shoot cheap steel.

And I know. Get them close and hunt better and it won't matter what you shoot...

I agree but. I like to play around with reloading shotgun shells and I like to mess with shot that's nontoxic and heavier than steel. I also like to reload and pattern steel shot just to get fast steel reloads that pattern well.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
$10/shot usd
For 12 gauge, yes, half of that for 410, Bismuth runs around $4-$5 per shot, and provides less performance than lead.. For a hunt like Camp Wainwright sharptail , where a person only shoots four or five rounds, even $50 , is a small part of the costs. Even for pheasant, where I use a box or less per year, $5 per shot for my 28 gauge to load my own, comes out to $125, which is far less than I spend on fuel over the year. And with TSS, a 28 gauge is as effective as a 12 gauge with lead. I personally, would only consider TSS for the 28 and 410, and then only where I shoot very limited rounds in a year.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:14 AM

This goes against your relentless preaching about cheap ammo 3” or less.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
This goes against your relentless preaching about cheap ammo 3” or less.
Read my last post again, the part where I would only ever consider this in 410, and 28 gauge. If I have to use non toxic shot on these guns , this would be a great option.For waterfowl, with a 12 gauge 3" steel works fine

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-26-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For 12 gauge, yes, half of that for 410, Bismuth runs around $4-$5 per shot, and provides less performance than lead.. For a hunt like Camp Wainwright sharptail , where a person only shoots four or five rounds, even $50 , is a small part of the costs. Even for pheasant, where I use a box or less per year, $5 per shot for my 28 gauge to load my own, comes out to $125, which is far less than I spend on fuel over the year. And with TSS, a 28 gauge is as effective as a 12 gauge with lead. I personally, would only consider TSS for the 28 and 410, and then only where I shoot very limited rounds in a year.
IIRC you are shooting 7/8 ounce of plated shot in your 28. Do you find it much less effective than a 20 shooting an ounce or are you strickly trying to switch to a nontoxic shot? I shoot my 20 slightly better than my 28 but they both kill birds dead if I am on my game. Over dogs it doesn't really become a factor and there is always 3" 20 although I have never patterned them.

I have read up on some of the heavy shot available at quite reasonable prices in the USA. This from a generation ago so not as dense as the new loads but just as good as lead. They are just not available here or the price is well above and beyond the exchange rate. My only interest would be for waterfowling with older and sub-gauge guns or if lead is banned for uplands.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:31 AM

j
Quote:
Read my last post again, the part where I would only ever consider this in 410, and 28 gauge. If I have to use non toxic shot on these guns , this would be a great option.For waterfowl, with a 12 gauge 3" steel works fine
I completely agree with this in a 12 gauge. Even in a 20 gauge it makes sense to reach out beyond steel. We don't have the factory options in 20 gauge loads we have in 12 gauge. Youth and ladies who like shooting 20 gauge guns shoot better with 2 3/4" 7/8 oz of bismuth 4's which hit and kill ducks like lead 5's or steel 3's. Pattern density improves with smaller shot and bismuth 5's are good for the 20 over decoys.

Rotometals is currently selling 10# of bismuth for $139 US. With the exchange and shipping you are spending about $200 Canadian for 180 charges of shot. I can use many of the components I use to reload target loads. Supplementing with some steel loads my son can shoot waterfowl all year with his 20 gauge for the price of a couple of tanks of gas. 7 boxes of shells is going to cost me 140-175 dollars anyway and I can now tailor his reloads to his needs.

I have a 20 gauge reloader but if I didn't I would buy primed cheddite hulls from Sporteque or Will Bilzor and a roll crimping tool and use my scale to reload. Hodgdon reloading data has good data for bismuth.

TSS shot would shine in a 410 or 28. Especially the 9 shot. 1/2 to 3/4 oz of shot would go a long way.

Last edited by Ithaca Dog; 10-26-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Spelling and clarity
Old 10-26-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
IIRC you are shooting 7/8 ounce of plated shot in your 28. Do you find it much less effective than a 20 shooting an ounce or are you strickly trying to switch to a nontoxic shot? I shoot my 20 slightly better than my 28 but they both kill birds dead if I am on my game. Over dogs it doesn't really become a factor and there is always 3" 20 although I have never patterned them.

I have read up on some of the heavy shot available at quite reasonable prices in the USA. This from a generation ago so not as dense as the new loads but just as good as lead. They are just not available here or the price is well above and beyond the exchange rate. My only interest would be for waterfowling with older and sub-gauge guns or if lead is banned for uplands.
I still do fine with plated lead in my 28.But I do buy Bismuth for Camp Wainwright, because non toxic shot is required on the base. So if I have to use non toxic shot, why wouldn't I want to use shot that is even superior to lead? A friend used to use his 410 for pheasant over my dog, but now that he has a flushing dog, his 410 doesn't get used. If he was to load #9 TSS his 410 would be effective far enough to be feasible over his dog .
Old 10-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I still do fine with plated lead in my 28.But I do buy Bismuth for Camp Wainwright, because non toxic shot is required on the base. So if I have to use non toxic shot, why wouldn't I want to use shot that is even superior to lead? A friend used to use his 410 for pheasant over my dog, but now that he has a flushing dog, his 410 doesn't get used. If he was to load #9 TSS his 410 would be effective far enough to be feasible over his dog .
I've been too cheap so far to buy the plated shot let alone these new heavy metals. I have hit birds twice when once should have been enough with both the 28 and 20 however and upon inspection a lack of penetration could well have been a factor.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I've been too cheap so far to buy the plated shot let alone these new heavy metals. I have hit birds twice when once should have been enough with both the 28 and 20 however and upon inspection a lack of penetration could well have been a factor.
When I originally purchased the nickel plated Fiocchi loads, I paid around $125 per flat, and I purchased several flats, so I haven't had to buy 20 or 28 gauge in years. As far as penetration goes, the nickel plated shot does seem to drag less feathers into the meat, and penetrate better as well.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:09 PM

im interested to hear how it works for ya when you get some to try out. i listen to a podcast where the guys had been using tss for turkeys and they could not shut up about how amazing it was.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs