Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 01:46 PM

Default Husqvarna FN98 (M98) commercial Mauser .270 Win

I recently acquired a Husky commercial M98 in .270 win. It's actually in pretty decent shape for being made in the 50's, most of the bluing is there, no cracks at tang etc. It does have some pitting on the outside of the barrel (I'm guessing stored in a gun case), as well as the front sight blade is missing/rear sight missing. I may not worry too much about open sights as it is drilled/tapped for scope, but may also consider an aperture sight. I don't know if I should worry much about the pitting on the outside, or sand it down and be done with it. I've already got another .270, so I'll see how long this one remains in my hands. I am curious to see how it would shoot however with the 24" barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2667.jpg (108.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2668.jpg (138.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2669.jpg (93.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2670.jpg (100.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Nice find. They are beautiful guns and usually really good shooters. They often benefit greatly from being bedded. If it shoots as good as most of them do it would be well worth having the action bedded, barrel polished then re-blued and refinish the stock. They make an excellent mid weight hunting rifle.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:45 PM

Wiped it down a bit, installed some bases and Burris low rings, mounted an older Japanese 4x Banner and bore sighted it. Doesn't actually look too bad, and shoulders really nice. When I get a chance I'll have to dial it in and see how it shoots, might end up being a keeper. If it works with the scope on, I don't think I'll bother replacing the front sight blade or rear sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2678.jpg (63.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2680.jpg (63.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:22 PM

Pretty much all of my hunting is done with twin 1600 carbines. One is a beat up old 30-06 that wears a 1-4x scope. The other is a .270win that is in excellent shape and wears a 2-7x scope. Both will do better than 1" if I do my part. Big fan of the Huskies, almost as nice as old Winchesters but generally far cheaper. The shoulder does pay a little bit of the difference though
Old 10-25-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Pretty much all of my hunting is done with twin 1600 carbines. One is a beat up old 30-06 that wears a 1-4x scope. The other is a .270win that is in excellent shape and wears a 2-7x scope. Both will do better than 1" if I do my part. Big fan of the Huskies, almost as nice as old Winchesters but generally far cheaper. The shoulder does pay a little bit of the difference though
I do agree with the shoulder part. I've got a crown grade in 7mm RM that certainly bucks, but then again my beat up old pre 64 Win featherweight in 30-06 isn't exactly easy on the shoulder either. I'm hoping that this Mauser based 270 with the 24" barrel being heavier should be a bit more kind.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Wiped it down a bit, installed some bases and Burris low rings, mounted an older Japanese 4x Banner and bore sighted it. Doesn't actually look too bad, and shoulders really nice. When I get a chance I'll have to dial it in and see how it shoots, might end up being a keeper. If it works with the scope on, I don't think I'll bother replacing the front sight blade or rear sight.
Those rifles are notorious for cracks at the tang. Bedding will avoid that and may improve accuracy.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
Those rifles are notorious for cracks at the tang. Bedding will avoid that and may improve accuracy.
I thought the tang cracks were more of a 1600 thing, but yeah, most Mauser sporters that I've owned had some cracks under the action and required bedding. Regardless of make.

. As well, make sure that there is a small amount of clearance around the tang where it is inletted. I've heard that if it is touching you are going to have trouble.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I do agree with the shoulder part. I've got a crown grade in 7mm RM that certainly bucks, but then again my beat up old pre 64 Win featherweight in 30-06 isn't exactly easy on the shoulder either. I'm hoping that this Mauser based 270 with the 24" barrel being heavier should be a bit more kind.
My .270 has a recoil pad, and the angle of the butplate has been adjusted. It is a surprisingly big improvement over the 30-06 which is stock. I wouldn't call the recoil "light" by any means, but it is better than my wife's Savage in the same caliber. Its about what you would expect out of a lightweight .270 carbine, no more.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I thought the tang cracks were more of a 1600 thing, but yeah, most Mauser sporters that I've owned had some cracks under the action and required bedding. Regardless of make.

. As well, make sure that there is a small amount of clearance around the tang where it is inletted. I've heard that if it is touching you are going to have trouble.

That and ensuring that the actions screws are tight and not touching the stock. Pulled the action/barrel out of the stock to check things out before mounting the scope and everything looked good underneath. No signs of cracking at tang/trigger guard,so far so good.