Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Shipping Containers For Extra Storage... Please Watch

I found this video while looking for some info about these units for my BIL. Some stuff I never thought about, and I know there have been others on here looking. Its short and very eye opening.
https://youtu.be/U2GYL95FL3c
Old 10-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Vents are generally a good idea.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Exclamation

Scary for sure. There are so many in the county, good read. Mine has a couple small vents but likely not enough.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-23-2018, 03:16 PM

The one used by our neighbor was set up fairly nice. The installed two garage roll up doors in the long side. For vents they put in two turbine vents at 1/3 points in the roof and one normal roof vent in the center. Outfitted it inside with organization shelving and racking. Seems to work quite well.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

I’ve heard of thes containers showing to be radioactive from whatever was kept inside them too. You just never know
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Good share, thanks for posting it. I have a shipping container as a temporary garage until I can build my garage mahal. I don't keep gas or propane in it, those are stored elsewhere but there can be the potential for other things such as PVC pipe primer and such that are quite volatile. Mine has a few vents on it though I will scrutinize it for a count of them, those would be easy to add more of using a hole saw and a matching circular soffit vent with the wire mesh bug screen.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Banned

A person would have to pop these things so full of holes that what ever is in them might as well be outside. A better solution to me would be to store combustibles better. A perfect neutral mixer of oxygen and combustible vaper or dust should never be overlooked and can be a deadly mixture but common sense seems like the solution to me.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM

A lot of job sites have purpose built cabinets for combustible materials. Properly vented and grounded. I’m sure they’re available at acklands or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 PM

One other thing to watch out for is the door blowing shut and locking you inside.
We had one at work for a tool shed and workshop. We opened the latches and left the handles open at the point they released from the catches. We were inside and a gust of wind blew the door shut. The latches turned far enough to lock us in. Luckily we were able to phone someone to open the door for us. We barely got enough signal to call out.
We could have potentially been stuck in there until the next mornings safety meeting before someone missed us. Good thing neither one of us was claustrophobic!!!
You can easily test this yourself. Just open the latches to the point the door opens. Then swing it shut and it latches with not much force. I always make sure to return the latches to the closed position after opening the door or lay a piece of steel in the door frame.