Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Exclamation Test drove a 2018 F150 Diesel over the weekend

I met up with a Ford Dealership Owner a few days ago and asked him what he thought of the new 2018 3.0L diesel. He said he had put a few thousand km on his, and absolutely loved it. Good power, great mileage, creature comforts to no end. He offered me a brand new black on black Platinum for the weekend, who was I to say no??
I have never driven a Platinum before, but have a 2016 Eco-boost 3.5 Lariat. Nothing really has changed between the 2 platforms, everything was basically the same. The only differences were minor sewing in the leather, a badge denoting Platinum on the seats which have massage, collision avoidance and adaptive cruise which mine did not, plus this truck has a 10 speed trans where mine has 6.
My 2016 has everything else exactly the same.
The engine is very quiet and the driving modes are instantly noticeable. I was on 'eco' 95% of the time, wanted to really find out what this little beast would get for mileage.
At the end of the weekend I had averaged 8.8km/100 by the math filling to the neck, just like before I took it.
I drove exactly the speed limit, coasted to stops and did not jackrabbit race to get to speed.
The truck was very comfortable, and handled well.
But, for $85,000.00 I just had zero interest in trading up.
My 2016 was $65,678.00 in 2016 and now with just over 40,000km the hit would be too high for the little amount I have used mine in almost 3 years.
I can not see how anyone can justify $85,000.00 on a half ton grocery getter with a 5' box.
They are claiming 12,000 lbs towing capacity, but I think if you have to pull that much weight you have to have a 1 ton in front of it, for the stopping power. I refuse to have something behind me dictate how I am going through corners or to a stop.
Nice truck, price is insane.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Agree with you, what a truck can "pull" (normally determined based on engine power / rear end ratio) is one thing, what is has for payload, breaking ability, ability to keep what your towing on the road confidently is more of a concern for me. Great that a 1/2 Ton can pull 12,000 lbs but in my opinion if you towing anything over 7,500 lbs I think you should be thinking about moving into a 3/4 Ton and upward.

$85k for a 1/2 Ton is crazy. I saw a GM 1 Ton last year with a sticker price north of $100k. You can get a lot/house/garage for $300k.

That mileage is awesome for a 1/2 Ton.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Fords been doing that for year with the ecoboosts....when i see a half ton towing a 11,000# fifth wheel with a boat behind it....its a F150...everytime.

Salesmen are great at making guys think their half ton is invincible.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM

I hear that on the facebook f150 forums all the time Jamie, guys boasting their ecopoofs will out pull my 6.7 diesel. Completely clueless. I have told numerous guys to hook onto my boat and run some hills. It's only 13,000 lbs, nobody has taken my offer yet.
I tried to move it in my yard, laid both my half tons on the ground before the jack was off the ground. LOL!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-22-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM

yup...no matter what that truck has going for it..$85,000.00 is way to much, it would be kinda nice to know what it costs to make such a truck, where do you put the bathroom? What kind of flooring, are the cupboards going to match the window mouldings...so many unanswered questions..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Sticker price is $85k, but who pays sticker on a truck? Likely discount it 20%.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:08 PM

I don't care what kind of pickup it is, I won't pay $60,,000, let alone $85,000 for a 1/2 ton. I do plan on purchasing a new pickup in 2020, but it won't likely be a Ford.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Ken,
Have you had a chance to test drive a ram eco diesel yet?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM

I've had four F350's in a row with the current one being a 2015 Lariat. I was considering downsizing to one of the half ton diesels next year. Biggest thing I'll be pulling is a 29' holiday trailer that weighs about 6000 lbs loaded. I have concerns that it may be too much for the 1/2 ton diesel though no matter what the specs say.

I'll be staying with the Lariat as I don't need all the fancy schmancy extras. I always wait for the friends and family sale and get a significant discount. I'll definitely be driving one and checking reviews. I'm pretty used to the one tons though so we'll see.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Ken,
I have not. I was told by the Lloydminster Dodge mechanic to avoid it like the plague, something like $30,000 to replace if it goes bang. Mind you that was a few years ago.
There were a LOT of diesels on the hoists that day. Likely the year they came out. Thay have got to be better now you would think.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I've had four F350's in a row with the current one being a 2015 Lariat. I was considering downsizing to one of the half ton diesels next year. Biggest thing I'll be pulling is a 29' holiday trailer that weighs about 6000 lbs loaded. I have concerns that it may be too much for the 1/2 ton diesel though no matter what the specs say.

I'll be staying with the Lariat as I don't need all the fancy schmancy extras. I always wait for the friends and family sale and get a significant discount. I'll definitely be driving one and checking reviews. I'm pretty used to the one tons though so we'll see.
I think yours is rated something like 40 more hp and 80-100 ft lb tq more than my 12 F350 Lariat. I always wanted to try a newer one, but mine has been so damn good I just couldn't bring myself to trade it in. It's paid off and under 100km, hardly broke in.

I think it will pull it, as will the ecopuff, but they are on the turbo's constantly, working the hell out of that poor tiny little motor and much lighter components in the drivetrain. I just do not see them lasting as real work trucks.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
Ken,
I own a 2017 and was happy the first 10k of owning it. I now average a check engine light every 4 months, due to some POS plastic Chinese made sensor failing. Both front and rear pinion seals have been replaced due to leaks. The POS transmission overheats every time I tow my boat. Would not recommend one that’s for sure.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:56 PM

My nephew has a 16 one ton diesel. I know it's not a 150. On a several day hunting trip he got the following.

Total 2401 kms, 43.24 engine hours
Averaged 11.4 mpg
Used 498.5 liters
After dropping off a trailer on way home averaged 14.7 mpg empty.

I didn't think these numbers were all that impressive as far as fuel usage goes.

It's a low km truck and a shortbox. Lots of power and very comfortable though.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I think yours is rated something like 40 more hp and 80-100 ft lb tq more than my 12 F350 Lariat. I always wanted to try a newer one, but mine has been so damn good I just couldn't bring myself to trade it in. It's paid off and under 100km, hardly broke in.

I think it will pull it, as will the ecopuff, but they are on the turbo's constantly, working the hell out of that poor tiny little motor and much lighter components in the drivetrain. I just do not see them lasting as real work trucks.
Yeah, that's definitely my fear. Think I'll wait for awhile to see how they perform long term. Plenty of life left in my 2015. It's hard to get used to the idea of a half ton for pulling after having a one ton so long.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM

You want it for pulling, towing or just to say you drive a diesel? LOOK AT ME!! Big exhaust pipe and spewin' that black $h!t out the back. Any Cummins give to me. You know what they say about DODGE.........Don't Over Drive Gutless Equipment.
Gonna get slammed here for sure
Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post

I've got a 2017 F150 with the max tow package and the 3.5 ecoboost. We pull a 24SAWBE Cougar trailer and it handles it nicely, but I wouldn't want to go much larger than that. Yeah, I'm rated to tow much more, but wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

That said, LOVE the truck.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 PM

First On Race Day. Poor Old "N" Thinks I'ts A Cadillac (sorry about that one)
Give Me Cash, Can't Have Every Mechanic, and more and more
Old 10-22-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
You want it for pulling, towing or just to say you drive a diesel? LOOK AT ME!! Big exhaust pipe and spewin' that black $h!t out the back. Any Cummins give to me. You know what they say about DODGE.........Don't Over Drive Gutless Equipment.
Gonna get slammed here for sure
Pulling or towing with a 3.0L seems stupid.
The only reason I would buy a teeny diesel would be for high mileage daily driver. Save money on fuel, but not at the price of this unit.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I have not. I was told by the Lloydminster Dodge mechanic to avoid it like the plague, something like $30,000 to replace if it goes bang. Mind you that was a few years ago.
There were a LOT of diesels on the hoists that day. Likely the year they came out. Thay have got to be better now you would think.
We have put a ton of them down the road, and we have had a ton of luck with them. Like anything, there will be a couple with issues. But for the most part, they have stood up very well.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Ok Not a FORD. 07 3/4 GMC 6.6 ltr Duramax Diesel 6 Speed Allison Tran. GVW rating 9900 kg. Truck weight is 2400 kg (with the others not in the cab)Can pull 7500 kg.> 16,000 lbs. legally. Pulled across scale with fifth wheel, quad trailer with 4 quads and rug rats inside, scaled out at 9800 kg.... DOH and barely new they were there behind. Will never give this girl up, climbing hills is just.................. atta girl
Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I hear that on the facebook f150 forums all the time Jamie, guys boasting their ecopoofs will out pull my 6.7 diesel. Completely clueless. I have told numerous guys to hook onto my boat and run some hills. It's only 13,000 lbs, nobody has taken my offer yet.
I tried to move it in my yard, laid both my half tons on the ground before the jack was off the ground. LOL!
Will put the 6.6 Duramax on er and wonder if there is anything behind
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM

Think you FORD guys better stop sniffin your fish bait. It's affecting your judgement
Old 10-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I’ve been to some oilfield sights with guys saying they have more horsepower than my peterbilt 379 c15 475hp and that they can outpull me. I just tell them let’s hook em up I’ve got a logging chain in the back.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyg313 View Post
I’ve been to some oilfield sights with guys saying they have more horsepower than my peterbilt 379 c15 475hp and that they can outpull me. I just tell them let’s hook em up I’ve got a logging chain in the back.
And stop when the chain is dangling lol!

Some people just have no clue at all, do they??

I can pull my boat with my 34hp John Deere 2032r too. Can does not mean should.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Hell ya, double dare at that. Bring it on little one's.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I'm sure some of them do have more hp. The 6.7L for example comes stock with 440 hp and most chips can easily eek out an additional 36 hp. Out pulling your Peterbilt with a 1 ton however, is just a ridiculous fantasy.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I can pull my boat with my 34hp John Deere 2032r too. Can does not mean should.
I think we need to see a video of that!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm sure some of them do have more hp. The 6.7L for example comes stock with 440 hp and most chips can easily eek out an additional 36 hp. Out pulling your Peterbilt with a 1 ton however, is just a ridiculous fantasy.

HP matters not so much. Torque is where you find a discrepancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I think we need to see a video of that!
That's how I move the boat around the yard every time. I can't do it with my half ton's, too much hitch weight but the JD works just great.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Banned

I love BENCH racing stories