Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Banned

Default Why use these broadheads?

I use a fixed blade broadhead; both Montec G5 and Cabelas Copperhead fixed blade.

I bought these ones online super cheap as I won an auction 3 for $1.50 USD. Does anyone know why anyone would use them? Seems to have a chisel point on the front to break bone, and the 3 curved blades seems to be difficult to resharpen. It is good because it is not easy to pull out as you can see.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM

I’m not so sure these would be legal here: “An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object.” I wouldn’t use them.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Broadheads seem to be becoming a fashion show. The cooler they look the more they sell, not anything to do with functionality more to do with who’s arrows look cooler.

I’m positive that some Regulations read that Barbed broadheads are not legal

This trend happens allot with fishing lure the shinyer and cooler they look the More fishermen they catch.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I’m not so sure these would be legal here: “An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object.” I wouldn’t use them.
But I can tell you that many broadheads right now are difficult to withdraw from an animal. Most of the time, it is a pass through so that should not be an issue. BUT! .... a montec G5 has a slight "barb" that makes it difficult to take it out from my targets.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 PM

Guess I should clarify. I wouldn’t use them because they look like junk. I’m also not sure if they would be legal due to there design. If you think they are what you want to use fill your boots
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM

Default No

Illegal.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
But I can tell you that many broadheads right now are difficult to withdraw from an animal. Most of the time, it is a pass through so that should not be an issue. BUT! .... a montec G5 has a slight "barb" that makes it difficult to take it out from my targets.
Usually only a pass through if A) you do your part and put it in the right spot and B) have enough momentum / power to push it all the way through. A light weight setup coming out of minimum poundage bow would not perform up to a lot of people's standards, including the CO that is inspecting your equipment.

Coxy95 has it right. By definition in the regs, they do look very much like a "barbed" design and you wouldn't find those in my quiver.

J.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Goofy broadheads

I suspect that curved cutting edge would inhibit penetration. If you want to make them legal grind off the “barbs”
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I suspect that curved cutting edge would inhibit penetration. If you want to make them legal grind off the “barbs”
Nah no need haha. I will just stick to my tried and true killers. I am surprised my copperhead broke the femur bone once. Many people would not shoot at the hams but I must have twisted my wrist and shot right through the femoral artery and bone...
Old 10-01-2018, 11:13 PM

For a briadhead to be deemed barbed , the back end of the blade would have to extend further back than the base.
The G5’s do not
Cat
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Nah no need haha. I will just stick to my tried and true killers. I am surprised my copperhead broke the femur bone once. Many people would not shoot at the hams but I must have twisted my wrist and shot right through the femoral artery and bone...
Every time i read a post from you it includes either missing or nearly wounding an animal. Perhaps forget about the broad heads and get back to field points practicing placement.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Every time i read a post from you it includes either missing or nearly wounding an animal. Perhaps forget about the broad heads and get back to field points practicing placement.
But ask yourself if I have ever lost a deer to a bad shot? I have had this situation twice for two shots. I only started bowhunting this year. Killing two deer with two shots taken is pretty good stats... I'm not as pompous as you and at least reply to people's messages and don't belittle them. And a femoral shot is actually quite accepted from many of the articlea i read so as long as I found the deer, and it dropped within 100 yards everything is good. If my posts bother you so much just put me in your ignore list, I'm kind of getting tired of you to be honest.

In regards to missing, I guess Messi should retire since he missed so many shots in the World Cup!

Last edited by gloszz; 10-02-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 AM

A femoral shot is accepted? That’s never been a spot to specifically aim for....would love to read that article. Poop happened, but NEVER aim for the femoral on purpose.

LC
Old 10-02-2018, 10:17 AM

How do you put a person on a ignore list? I don't believe a darn thing a certain user says and it would be nice to know how to use this feature
Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
But ask yourself if I have ever lost a deer to a bad shot? I have had this situation twice for two shots. I only started bowhunting this year. Killing two deer with two shots taken is pretty good stats... I'm not as pompous as you and at least reply to people's messages and don't belittle them. And a femoral shot is actually quite accepted from many of the articlea i read so as long as I found the deer, and it dropped within 100 yards everything is good. If my posts bother you so much just put me in your ignore list, I'm kind of getting tired of you to be honest.

In regards to missing, I guess Messi should retire since he missed so many shots in the World Cup!
1 year hunting, 2 poorly placed shots by user error as you have already stated. Like Lefty said id love to read that article because yes any artery is lethal but not a preferred placement. Be tired of me as much as you would like but EVERYONE is tired of reading about your horror stories you deem acceptable.

Ill answer your question, those broadheads would be illegal and placed in the trash accordingly.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A femoral shot is accepted? That’s never been a spot to specifically aim for....would love to read that article. Poop happened, but NEVER aim for the femoral on purpose.

LC
Just to throw gas in the fire...Fred Bear took what he called the “ham shot” times have changed and we have different ethics now. I agree, bad shots happen but they shouldn’t and we need to avoid the circumstances which lead to bad shots.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
1 year hunting, 2 poorly placed shots by user error as you have already stated. Like Lefty said id love to read that article because yes any artery is lethal but not a preferred placement. Be tired of me as much as you would like but EVERYONE is tired of reading about your horror stories you deem acceptable.

Ill answer your question, those broadheads would be illegal and placed in the trash accordingly.
Ignore list is the answer he rarely posts things that aren't controversial, basically just a pot stirrer. I often wonder if he has actually ever hunted a day in his life.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Just to throw gas in the fire...Fred Bear took what he called the “ham shot” times have changed and we have different ethics now. I agree, bad shots happen but they shouldn’t and we need to avoid the circumstances which lead to bad shots.
My ethics class taught me everyone has feelings and no one is right or wrong haha. Ethics are very elastic now. I don't agree that it is an ethical shot but the true issue here is not that I don't practice. I practiced for a three months almost every day shooting from different positions and scenarios. The issue is that I have severe anxiety and buck fever. I can run and be exhausted and shoot fine, but when I have a few seconds to decide to shoot an animals in front of me; that's where the issue with my shooting appears. I don't bring anyone down on this forum, at least I don't try to. Many people think accusing someone or talking crap about them will somehow magically make someone a better hunter. No. I have learned that explaining to them without anger is the best way.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Ignore list is the answer he rarely posts things that aren't controversial, basically just a pot stirrer. I often wonder if he has actually ever hunted a day in his life.
I am glad you asked. I don't post pictures because I just love to stir the pot so much!

This is two shooters a week ago ( myself and a friend shooting ducks):

And a spring shoot with a friend over 4 dozen socks.

I've never hunted though. It's just all luck.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Oh i forgot about these two!

One was a neck shot which dropped on the spot and second one was boiler room just like everyone likes.

I have more if you want. Let me know what you want to see.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

3 for a buck fifty.....use them on targets.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I don't even want to haha. I may as well just practice with field points that weight close to 100 grams. I don't feel like fighting these out from the targets.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Congrats on the successful season op

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Zombie targets

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 PM

Default Broadheads

Illegal for big game use (would be considered barbed) in Alberta.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Nice
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54 PM

Default broadheads

look illegal to me