Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Banned

Default Are Militant Vegans Mentally Ill?

I think that in many cases the answer is.......YES! I don't want to paint them all with the same brush so I should be clear that I'm not referring to the individuals that live their lifestyle without becoming totally consumed by it, but there's a pretty good chance that the ones with placards outside KFC have some serious mental issues.

Since the Antler Restaurant protest by animal rights activists/vegans, I've been interested in what makes them tick. The facts that I found was it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to live a healthy vegan lifestyle without taking some sort of supplements for your mental health.

A couple of nutrients required for a healthy mind that are not available in a vegan diet:

"If you have vitamin B12 deficiency, you could become anemic. A mild deficiency may cause no symptoms. But if untreated, it may lead to symptoms such as.....Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes"

"The brain can also suffer if omega-3 levels are low, as requirements for optimal functioning of neurotransmitters (the brain’s chemical messengers) are so high.......Emotional sensitivity (such as depression, excessive mood swings or undue anxiety)"

From what I see from the most extreme vegan's actions and their postings online, it makes me wonder how many of them are spending the money to buy the supplements that they need to be healthy mentally.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Lots of environmentalists are vegans. One environmentalist who was a lawyer just committed suicide by self-immolation the other day. Seems totally reasonable. No mental illness or indoctrination into a weird mindset there at all!!

Not criticizing the guys human rights work, perhaps he did OK there I have no idea really. But holy moly dude! His suicide was well beyond complete insanity
Old 04-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Banned

Trick question?
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM

My youngest came home from a School Music trip to Cuba a vegan. They fed them rabbit! The horror! Yes she was certifably KOOKOO for about 2 weeks then I BBQ'd up some of the finest prime rib steaks I could find and she folded like a cheap suitcase, never to return to veggie land!

EDIT: I do know a few vegans who seem to do quite well with it, and unless you know them you would never know the difference. Not sure if they are the full blown march in the streets vegans, as I think they do eat a bit of fish, and some chicken, on rare occasion.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default Vegans/ Vegetarians

I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian. You know that you are in trouble when my food dumps on their food.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
EDIT: I do know a few vegans who seem to do quite well with it, and unless you know them you would never know the difference. Not sure if they are the full blown march in the streets vegans, as I think they do eat a bit of fish, and some chicken, on rare occasion.
I know of two people that have a meatless lifestyle. One I would have never known about had she not reluctantly told me at a bbq. She does eat eggs, milk, cheese, etc though. The other person was diagnosed with Chron's Disease and went vegan.....no animal products whatsoever. Within a year she went full blown animal rights activist to a level that I had to sever ties with her. Nothing scientific, just an interesting observation.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Well I have to admit I've never interacted with a vegan that I recall,but I will say that if I had to live without meat I would probably go nuts.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Well I have to admit I've never interacted with a vegan that I recall,but I will say that if I had to live without meat I would probably go nuts.
Hear hear!!! I have a vegan friend, I know he's vegan because he told me so.
He only eats meat when he feels like it, or if he doesn't feel like cooking. We went to a buffet the other day, and I expected to see him come to the table with a salad or something, but he's got a plate of wings and seafood! I said, "I thought you were vegan?" He said "Yeah, but I was getting too hungry"
Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Yeah I would say so, starving your brain of essential vitamins and nutrients can’t help either. Look at the YouTube shooter
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM

You cook me any meal that is tasty and delicious I will eat it.

Now I love a good ribeye with a side of lobster with a walnut crusted rack of lamb. I find cooking meat way easier. Cooking vegetables is way harder to make delicious. I have had some great vegetables at restaurants over the years however.

Vegan or vegetarian...not my choice as I believe plants have feelings also and therefore we must spread the pain. As people may know when one popular tree is attacked by tent caterpillars the nearby trees will start increasing chemical defenses.

Therefore eat a rabbit and save a carrot.

Also if the whole earth went Vegan there would be no room left for animals. I don't know of any intensive agricultural operation for say beans that allows rodents, deer, etc. to live and eat at will. Often too they need higher levels of fertilizers and pesticides.

People need to live in balance. We are omnivores after all. Earth made us that way. Who are we to ignore what Earth wanted. What would we do if not true. Capture all grizzly bear and breed them into vegetarianism?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 PM

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that we evolved from apes, and though they are mostly vegetarian,they sometimes stalk and kill other monkeys and eat them,they have been known to eat children as well.We are wired to be meat eaters.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:12 PM

Don't think your average vegans are anymore cukoo than anybody else. There are crazy people in every walk of life or belief. Some people believe they are animals, some believe they are going to catch a ride on a passing comet, some believe they are reincarnated, some believe they can talk to long dead relatives or pets, believe in ghosts or sasquatch, believe the world is flat, some think religious people are nuts and some religious people think people who don't believe it are nuts.

Crazy is in the eye of the beholder. Whats nuts to some people seems perfectly lucid and normal to others especially crazy people Back in the day they used to burn witches, who was crazy the witches or the people who burned them because of their beliefs.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 PM

How can you tell if a person is a vegan ?

Don't worry ...... they'll tell you !
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post

zactly.

on an off note, have you ever thought about adding *Horseman* to your online handle?

You would then be *Head Lice Horseman*
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post

lmfao
Old 04-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that we evolved from apes, and though they are mostly vegetarian,they sometimes stalk and kill other monkeys and eat them,they have been known to eat children as well.We are wired to be meat eaters.
I believe that the apes that stayed in the trees are still vegetarians. The few that left the trees and consumed a diet of carrion left behind by predators developed their brain matter because of their new diet. Brains need fat to grow and marrow sucked from bones was just the ticket. The ones that stayed in the trees and ate green had big mouths and big guts and small brains. The ones that fed on the meat and fat developed larger brains and smaller mouths and for the most part did not need the big gut.

After a long long time the ones that developed their brains became the dominant species on the earth and the others, well they are still in the trees and still need those big mouths and guts to process all the green they eat.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
After a long time, the ones that developed their brains became the dominant species on the earth and the others, well they are still in the trees and still need those big mouths and guts to process all the green they eat.
Our politicians would be the 'tree' type ?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Science vs ideologies.... I spent years at University... studied primatology; biology, anthropology, ecology, etc... etc.

All you have to do, is look at your teeth.... Are humans herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores? What are we designed to eat? Grind grain? Tear flesh? Or maybe a little of both....
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Science vs ideologies.... I spent years at University... studied primatology; biology, anthropology, ecology, etc... etc.

All you have to do, is look at your teeth.... Are humans herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores? What are we designed to eat? Grind grain? Tear flesh? Or maybe a little of both....
Precisely that's why we all have canines.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

It seems that Vegans and snowflakes have much in common.. Mental illness for starters..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post

I believe that we have been created to survive and probably our teeth are up to all tasks with regards to eating different foods. That does not mean that all foods were good for us long term.

That said, I have read that those who study skeleton remains of primitive societies can immediately recognize the difference between hunter gatherers and farmers.

Hunter gatherers are supposedly taller and more muscular and even those more aged had good teeth.

Farmers on the other hand were smaller, less muscular and evidence of dental disease and degenerative bone disease. The farmers had more infant deaths.

I do not know how they recognize signs of disease on remains but I have read that even though hunter gatherers did not always live long they were free of most of the diseases we see today.

On the other had the farmers had all the diseases we see today. Cardio vascular disease, cancers, dental disease, arthritis, and some diabetes etc.

The hunter gatherers that did not meet their end by becoming a meal themselves were healthy and active into later years and did not resign themselves to being feeble in late life.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Thank heavens for the people that choose not to eat meat. Or we'd be waiting 20 years for a draw.

Vegan extremists aren't even on the right path. They protest against the meat eaters instead of protesting the corporate farmers who are 'seasoning' the vegetables, fruits and grains with chemicals.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thank heavens for the people that choose not to eat meat. Or we'd be waiting 20 years for a draw.

Vegan extremists aren't even on the right path. They protest against the meat eaters instead of protesting the corporate farmers who are 'seasoning' the vegetables, fruits and grains with chemicals.
20 years for a draw, lol this is positive thinking.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Banned

It’s interesting that evolution entered the discussion because the fanatical type vegans preach that veganism is the next step in human evolution. They believe that humans are evolving to a meatless diet and they dream of the day that the entire human race are vegan. What is really interesting to me is that vegans ignore the fact that there has never been a civilization or tribe in the history of mankind that has been capable of living entirely on a vegetarian diet.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Evolution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evolution.jpg (36.3 KB, 53 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It’s interesting that evolution entered the discussion because the fanatical type vegans preach that veganism is the next step in human evolution.
If that is the next step it may be eons into the future to where we are able to thrive on such a diet. Any diet will allow us to simply survive. It has been only several thousands of years since we switched to a grain based diet and our present explosion of obesity, heart disease, cancer, dementia, and arthritis may be the result. To add to all this big food has developed ways to take excess agricultural product and make pure junk processed food.

The earth's population is exploding and only surviving but most are not thriving. The earth's population is too great for everyone to be able to eat quality food. Conversion to veganism may be the next step but as far as evolution goes we are not ready and we made be doomed by an even larger population with more health issues than we have now.

I am looking forward to hunting season and eating wild raised meat. That may not be sustainable but for me that is what I have evolved to feel my best.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Out for lunch with my son in law and he ordered a veggie burger with bacon, should have seen the look on the waitress's face. Say's he does it all the time, everything goes with bacon.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM

I can only speak from experience... I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian (i.e. eating no meat, no fish but eggs and dairy products) for many years.
I am a full on meat eater now and have never felt better.
I was tested regularly for deficiencies during my vegetarian years and only low in iron. Quite low at times so I had to take supplements.
So while everything else was supposedly good, I didn't feel great. When I started eating meat again in 2008 I was worried my body wouldn't be able to handle meat so I started slow. Never felt better. Never had any problems and now I am back to eating meat (and raising cattle ).

I am fully convinced we are born to be omnivores and I never recommend being a vegetarian, let alone vegan.

There. Confession time over.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)

Last edited by josey; 04-17-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM

And yes, I think militant vegans are mental.
They have no concept of how nature works.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 PM

I saw this article this morning and thought of this thread.

http://nationalpost.com/life/food/u-...touch-raw-meat

The packaging and labelling of meat is key to persuading people to consume it. In a 2016 study on the meat paradox, participants avoided eating lamb chops when confronted with an image of a fuzzy lamb on the label. The use of animal names – cow and pig, rather than types of meat – had a similar effect.

Now, in what could create an even deeper chasm between consumer choices and the reality of animal consumption, a U.K. supermarket chain is launching “touch-free” chicken-in-a-pouch on May 3.

After learning that 37 per cent of young cooks prefer not to handle raw meat, Sainsbury’s is rolling out “doypacks”– plastic pouches that don’t require any tactile engagement on the part of the cook.

Customers, particularly younger ones, are quite scared of touching raw meat. These bags allow people, especially those who are time-poor, to just ‘rip and tip’ the meat straight into the frying pan without touching it,” Katherine Hall, Sainsbury’s product development manager, told The Sunday Times.
-----------------

We're a bunch of old coots here and sometimes we don't relate to the general public, I know I don't always. 37% of young cooks don't like to touch raw meat, WOW. That's startling to me.

Really makes me wonder if younger generations will move toward a plant based diet a lot faster than some of us old guys think.