Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Covered trailers for hunting camp

Just curious as to how many of you guys have converted covered trailers into hunting campers I’m thinking of doing this I have 2 quads so was thing about 20foot trailer should cover it, strip it wire for power install some cupboards a few fold down beds a wood stove flute etc maybe a fridge propane of course, has anyone done this would you be willing to share a few pics for ideas etc thank you
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Have not done but have seen this summer someone using a horse trailer as a camper trailer. Really had second look for sure when they pulled in with trailer and didn't unload the horses. If you do make sure to put at least 2 windows that open for fresh air. Sounds like a great idea though. Keep us informed
Old 10-21-2018, 04:04 PM

This is exactly what I would like to do eventually. I would probably use a gooseneck enclosed myself to gain the extra space above the truck bed.
Keep us posted how you make out!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 PM

In the past, we have used a tent and a 20' landscape utility trailer but I've always thought about an enclosed trailer for a quick portable setup. I would consider a work an play trailer.

Are the rules the same as far as safeties and annual inspections etc between enclosed trailers and camping trailers?

One limiting factor as far as comfort goes and group size, could be limited width.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 PM

Don’t need yearly safeties or inspections in Alberta
Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM

My BIL's family camped like that for years. Had a 24' v nose for summer camping, and sledding in the winter.
Set up cargo netting along the walls to hold bulky gear like sleeping bags, cots. Scavenged a garbage tent trailer for a furnace. Made some cabinets for quadding and sledding gear. Used a tool cart from CT for a kitchen, rolling in and out as needed.
Worked awesome, unless it was really warm outside, or really cold.
Only reason he got rid of it, he got tired of pulling that 6500lb beeatch in the winter. Downsized to an open sled trailer, and a small 5ver for the summer.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 AM

I "converted" my 6x10 this year with a Buddy heater and a cot. It was safe sleeping as well as a secure gear storage. Not really big enough for 2 though. Looking at a converting a slightly larger trailer with a window or 2 and full insulation.