Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Thanks for the input so far, but I really was looking for specific input on my above post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think think at least some of the advice was pretty specific. DO NOT HANG heavy weight from the cross pieces of the rafter. It is not what they are designed to do. Lots of guys do it and get away with it but it is not a good idea. Either run a laminated beam or a piece of pipe across the garage, supported by two vertical posts at each end. Hang your animals from that.

If you insist on using the rafter joists, then tie at least 6 of them together with a 4"x12"xwhatever the required length plank. Install and counter sink the eye bolts before you lag bolt the plank to the rafters. Put a lag bolt every two inches (four across the 12" width) so there is lots of purchase on each rafter. At least that spreads the weight out some.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM

I have 16' 2x10s bolted together and run through all my trusses from one side of the garage to the other, then have a hoist bolted to the 2x10x16's with an attic hatch.
Works very well. I had a 600 lbs moose hanging from it last year. worked wonders.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Just make an attic hatch in the garage and slip a couple of 2X10's in that will span a set of 5 rafters. Drop an eye bolt down through the ceiling that is bolted to the 2X10's sitting up on top of the lower cord. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine. You could slip a 1 inch cold rolled rod up through that new attic hatch that would span 5 rafters and hang an s hook down through the drywall. Either is good for 1000 lbs.
I have a winch and a chain hoist and a couple of snatch blocks hanging from rods, wood and c channel. Hanging on home made trusses.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 PM

I have 3” leg bolts into the underside of my trusts as well. Have hung deer, elk and moose quarters. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 AM

Make or buy yourself something similar to a gantry crane on wheels. One could build one in such a way that it could be 10-12 feet wide on an I beam. It would then be portable, and it has a lot of other uses. Trust me, you'll find them.

I built a crude one a crude one a while ago. It was 'temporary'... LOL 2x8 lag bolted to an upright that was welded to an A frame with an 8' foot underneath scrapped from a marble counter top place.