Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
1000% ^^^

Don't give a crap if you just arrived or been here all your life. That's totally irrelevant. Wear a damn poppy and show respect to those who gave or are willing to give their lives to protect ours. Period.
^^^^^^
You got it right! it's the reason people want to immigrate here in the first damn place! Because these guys laid down their lives for everyone of us! show some respect for gods sake! People jump all over this and turn Don Cherry into a racist, isn't being white great! As soon as you say a word you are a racist pig and lose your job. Cherry was right to go off! Love the guy. The people who Don was referring to know who you are, you should hang your heads in shame, rather than attacking him for calling you out!. Thats all I've got to say on this.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM

I’m kinda surprised this episode wasn’t his demise.
https://youtu.be/R5p5r6tiK6M
Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Just got back from a Walmart run for tomorrow’s hunting trip. Didn’t see one immigrant wearing a poppy. Soooo shocking. It’s not hard to not trust the loyalties of the current wave of immigrants.

The wife and myself had to do a bunch of running around. We noticed the exact same thing

And how exactly did you guys figure that out? Did you asked everyone wearing one if they were immigrants or not? Did the ones not wearing a poppy have some kind of mark telling they were immigrants?

The fact is that everybody knows what DC meant by his remarks: the immigrants which don’t look like ME. The ones which pray to a different God than MINE.

And that’s why he got axed.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree that all Canadian should wear a poppy to honor those who have served us and gave us our freedom.

Unfortunately, Don's comments were directed specifically toward immigrants.

I don't care how noble, patriotic or whatever you want to hide his words behind, what he said was directed, deliberate and deeply offensive to many people.

To hear people deflect this, like the way we watch our brother's in Lincoln's party, south of the border, deflect the same ridiculous comments their leader makes, so this thread mirrors the same motives in my mind.

Yeah society has become overly sensitive, but as easily as one snowflake is offended on one side of the fence, it appears the same level of sensitivity exists on the other side of the fence.
EZM, take this the right way, as I am just engaging ideas with a guy who I consider pretty sharp. You know what I care about? Peoples' right to voice their opinions without having to worry about losing their job three days later. I don't give a rat's rip what he said, but if it fits your idea of racism then that is valid for you. It doesn't fit mine. Dust off a copy of Mississippi Burning and we can then talk about what racism is or isn't.

I do care that he is able to speak his mind though. Folks if we are no longer willing to spit out the bones in search of the meat then we have taken freedom of speech for granted. We really and truly have.

It equally concerns me as to WHO defines what is acceptable in terms of speech, be it on a sportscast, a classroom, a lounge, or a dinner table.

Think on that folks. I know the answer to that question can give you a good idea where we may be headed.

I truly believe we are all brain-washed to varying degrees, but we need to know who it is who is washing our brains.

Last edited by sns2; 11-11-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Many countries fought in WW1 and WW2 and other wars since then. Wear a damn poppy to show respect for those that fight these wars, those that gave their lives in battle, those that came home with scars we cannot see.

FFS Show your respect for these men and women that made it possible to live the life you enjoy today and wear a poppy! One damn day a year show you care!

BW

What Bigwoodsman said.

__________________________________________________ _______________

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Default have you listened to the comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
What he did was single out a certain group, and insinuate that we don’t care and don’t respect. He generalized on national TV to the detriment of a certain group. And he is wrong!

That certain group was anyone not wearing a poppy not a visible minority.

Have you actually listened to his comments, he never once singled out any ethnic group, or individual but used a general reference to all people that go to Toronto and the rest of Canada. Wearing a poppy is a sign of respect for all fallen solders that have protected Canada, rights and freedoms.

Respect is the single biggest thing we have lost in Canada in the last decade or so, no respect for people, property, animals, social media, driving, it is all "how can I ruin some one else day so that I feel better about mine."
Old 11-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
You know what I care about? Peoples' right to voice their opinions without having to worry about losing their job three days later. I don't give a rat's rip what he said, but if it fits your idea of racism then that is valid for you. It doesn't fit mine. Dust off a copy of Mississippi Burning and we can then talk about what racism is or isn't.

I do care that he is able to speak his mind though. Folks if we are no longer willing to spit out the bones in search of the meat then we have taken freedom of speech for granted. We really and truly have.
WW2 Hitler was taking the people’s right to speak their minds away. Our veterans fought this amongst other things. Today a great Canadian lost his job for speaking whAt he thought was right! You know what Don was right. For those of you that think otherwise imagine what this world would be like if the AXIS under hitler would have won WW2?

BW
Old 11-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
[/B]
That certain group was anyone not wearing a poppy not a visible minority.

Have you actually listened to his comments, he never once singled out any ethnic group, or individual but used a general reference to all people that go to Toronto and the rest of Canada. Wearing a poppy is a sign of respect for all fallen solders that have protected Canada, rights and freedoms.

Respect is the single biggest thing we have lost in Canada in the last decade or so, no respect for people, property, animals, social media, driving, it is all "how can I ruin some one else day so that I feel better about mine."
This ^
Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 PM

I have nothing against what he said about the poppies.

He is lucky to have lasted this long with his senile comments though.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM

I feel that Canada is less free then we were 10 years ago, let alone during the WWII era.
What the soldiers died and fought for (our freedom and ability to free speech) is slowly being taken away
Old 11-11-2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
I feel that Canada is less free then we were 10 years ago, let alone during the WWII era.
What the soldiers died and fought for (our freedom and ability to free speech) is slowly being taken away
X2
Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Dons' statement regarding the lack of patriotism in immigrants in nothing short of political commentary. As I've stated, people in his position need to refrain from addressing such subjects. He's simply appealing to the lowest common denominator, something that disgruntled "old stock" Canadians can relate to. Specifically that the country of their youth has been changed for the worse by the supposedly unpatriotic newcomers.

Harper is the one who initially used to divisive term "old stock" if my memory serves me well. A term which is meant to stratify our society even further, with a certain segment of immigrants' offspring holding the high ground of morality and patriotism.

This country needs more Don Cherry's, and less....well....you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Put Don Cherry into a retirement home and throw away the key! What a blow hard idiot!
And you (I might have missed a few more)

Pretty disheartening to see how fast this country is swirling down the toilet bowl. Don Cherry is about as patriotic as they come, loves this country, tells it like it is. And to appease the, for lack of a better term, snowflakes, he is fired. The country is overrun with them. Hell, this forum has it's share. Sad

Last edited by MountainTi; 11-11-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Exactly. If the soldiers who fought and died had been as politically correct as many Canadians feel people should be, there's a good chance that German would be our official language.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

And you

Pretty disheartening to see how fast this country is swirling down the toilet bowl. Don Cherry is about as patriotic as they come, loves this country, tells it like it is. And to appease the, for lack of a better term, snowflakes. The country is overrun with them. Hell, this forum has it's share. Sad

Well said!

BW
Old 11-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well said!

BW
Bam !

Exactly

Gilly
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM

The only problem is .....he is exactly spot on with his remarks.....Screw the politically correct snowflakes...I would rather live in Don Cherry's world then their fake Utopia!

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."

Last edited by Halfton; 11-11-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 PM

This guy seems to get it. Even though he is an immigration lawyer, from Toronto and "gasp" an immigrant himself. I love his comment about "thin skin" I'm quite surprised that Global actually had it up on their website.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6152766/...errys-comments
Old 11-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Mountain Ti hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Mountain TI is right

Cant believe Don is being called a blow hard idiot. Guess some of "you people" never gave notice to his visit to the troops in Afghanistan. He backs them 110% and is being called a idiot because of his beliefs in having respect for one damn day of the year. Something as simple as wearing a poppy means alot to him obviously but others feel he should have his mouth taped shut.

We definitely need more like him, yeah he is rough around the edges but he calls it how he sees it. Some of you calling him names and voicing your opinion are taking part in the freedoms we thought we had which is freedom of speech. Guess people can call him names and insult him like 5 year olds but he cannot back a tradition of honouring those who served.

Maybe if you do not like it "you people" should move to Iraq, Afghanistan etc and let us know what freedoms you have in those places. Better yet, call those people spouting religious beliefs "blow hard idiots". You will more than likely be a headline for a day on MSN news for getting your head lopped off.

Quote:

And you

Pretty disheartening to see how fast this country is swirling down the toilet bowl. Don Cherry is about as patriotic as they come, loves this country, tells it like it is. And to appease the, for lack of a better term, snowflakes, he is fired. The country is overrun with them. Hell, this forum has it's share. Sad
Old 11-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

And you (I might have missed a few more)

How cute. It's your prerogative to consider a senile xenophobe to be the personification of patriotism. Nothing like a flag waving malcontent to represent the supposedly Canadian values on the national level.

Thankfully reason and logic persevered and the old fool is gone! As I said before, he'd make one hell of a spokesman for AO, perhaps you guys can pool your change together and offer him a job
Old 11-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
EZM, take this the right way, as I am just engaging ideas with a guy who I consider pretty sharp. You know what I care about? Peoples' right to voice their opinions without having to worry about losing their job three days later. I don't give a rat's rip what he said, but if it fits your idea of racism then that is valid for you. It doesn't fit mine. Dust off a copy of Mississippi Burning and we can then talk about what racism is or isn't.

It equally concerns me as to WHO defines what is acceptable in terms of speech, be it on a sportscast, a classroom, a lounge, or a dinner table.

Think on that folks. I know the answer to that question can give you a good idea where we may be headed.

I truly believe we are all brain-washed to varying degrees, but we need to know who it is who is washing our brains.
To be clear, I don't believe that Don is a racist, and certainly did not say that in any of my posts.

I support his right to free speech and opinion even if it's not in alignment with my own opinions or perspectives.

I adamantly agree we all need to honor the people that sacrificed for us and our country and I agree 100% with him if he addressed this to all Canadians.

And, ironically, I disagree, despite being an immigrant born overseas myself, with our country's current policy on immigration.

The bottom line was, from my perspective, he was out of line, and offended people by singling out one group. You can't do that on a national forum and expect not to bring heat upon yourself or the station you work with - that's poor judgement.

Either way, we see it differently, the forum seems to be split on this one, no big deal.

Last edited by EZM; 11-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
How cute. It's your prerogative to consider a senile xenophobe to be the
personification of patriotism. Nothing like a flag waving malcontent to represent the supposedly
Canadian values on the national level.

Thankfully reason and logic persevered and the old fool is gone! As I said before, he'd make one hell
of a spokesman for AO, perhaps you guys can pool your change together and offer him a job
See the irony...
Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Respect is not something you put on one day and take off again until next year. I had a daughter in the army and a son-in-law in the airforce; they have a life 365days a year.
Somehow this year I missed getting a poppy.....not the end of the world but I guess it can be compared to not voting?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
See the irony...
Whoa, I call for him to be banned, that offended me as im 1/8th native and he was obviously singling my kind out.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
See the irony...
You're quite astute! One of the sharpest on the forum if I may say so myself! And here I was going to edit it to "you people" to make the irony more obvious for the less perspicacious members. Good for you bud!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
How cute. It's your prerogative to consider a senile xenophobe to be the personification of patriotism. Nothing like a flag waving malcontent to represent the supposedly Canadian values on the national level.

Thankfully reason and logic persevered and the old fool is gone! As I said before, he'd make one hell of a spokesman for AO, perhaps you guys can pool your change together and offer him a job
You get your little feelers hurt?
Blow your smoke up someone else's azz. You annoy me
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
You get your little feelers hurt?
Blow your smoke up someone else's azz. You annoy me
As I said, your personal insults are cute. Perhaps your baseball cap is on too tight or you've had one too many cheap beers?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You're quite astute! One of the sharpest on the forum if I may say so myself! And here I was going to edit it to "you people" to make the irony more obvious for the less perspicacious members. Good for you bud!
Holy Thesaurus Batman, you're certainly quite sesquipedalian. Either that or I'm obviously hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobic.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 11-11-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
As I said, your personal insults are cute. Perhaps your baseball cap is on too tight or you've had one too many cheap beers?
You are really grasping at straws now, just give it up
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Many countries fought in WW1 and WW2 and other wars since then. Wear a damn poppy to show respect for those that fight these wars, those that gave their lives in battle, those that came home with scars we cannot see.

FFS Show your respect for these men and women that made it possible to live the life you enjoy today and wear a poppy! One damn day a year show you care!

BW
Absolutely ! RJ