Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
CTV just posted a piece about “What Canadians think about what Don Cherry said”. Every tweet and snippet they posted was against Don...every last one. Seem like they sure did not grab a representative pool to show what Canadians think.

LC
Lol. Choose the right demographics and you get the outcome you want. Very sad....
Old 11-11-2019, 08:29 AM

It's amazing in our Canada anymore where freedom of speech is only free if it doesn't offend anyone in the masses, which by the way is impossible, everyone must be politically correct as to not hurt some ones feelings, the new liberal way, I agree with Don 100%, but social media will crucify him

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Canada.
Where hockey commentators are held to a higher accountability than prime ministers.....
Smh.
Duhhh, have you not listened to our Prime Minister...
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Duhhh, have you not listened to our Prime Minister...
I hear him. I sure don’t listen to him...
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 AM

It's ironic that the very symbol of our gratitude to the veterans whose sacrifices gave us the right to say whatever the hell we want is expected to be worn to show what we must conform to. I wear the poppy every November to show respect and gratitude. I can't imagine an actual war vet judging anyone who isn't wearing one.
Grapes is an entertainer. I'm neither enlightened or appalled by what he says on national television. But he's able to say whatever the hell he wants because brave men and women fought to make that possible. Declaring that he shouldn't say that is hypocritical.
I can excuse a few immigrant's ignorance of our customs. Some will earn our respect and be welcomed here by most of us. The ones who don't care never should have come.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Here we go again. Political correctness BS garbage.

I am a Don Cherry fan. He is known for being patriotic, and I commend that. He is also known to call a spade a spade. He is also known to be a loose cannon on beliefs he is passionate with.

I agree with what he was "trying" to say the other night. He appeared very wound up over this topic, to say the least.

If he would have chosen his words more carefully (ie. excluding the word "immigrant"), we would not be here today. I believe his intent was to shame all the people who are not wearing poppies, or oblivious with this very important day. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was out shopping with my wife yesterday in different stores. I made a comment to her in regards to the fact a large amount of what appeared to be Canadian people not wearing poppies. Each his/her own...

Well, I wear one, and always will. I call it "respect".
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.. I think he slipped up when he singled out one demographic. Believe he wanted to say anyone not wearing one.
I like Cherry and hope he stays, but he doesn't fit into today's softer viewers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 AM

My experience at the work place in the last couple weeks has been similar to 1899. The floor I work on downtown Calgary has several different businesses on it and I can tell you that I am a minority on that floor. I started taking notice of the general population wearing poppies when a coworker pointed out that he didn't see many "immigrants" wearing poppies in all of downtown Calgary, let alone on our floor. I would guess that there are 50-60 people on our floor, well over half are from every walk of life you can imagine, and I only seen 1 of all of them wear a poppy and I seen a poppy on every single caucasian on our floor.
It isn't sad, its downright disgusting and ****es me off. and it is only going to get worse. In my life time I would actually not be surprised if this govt tries to take away this national day of remembering because it will discriminate against the ever growing immigrant population... but I digress.

If nothing else, Don Cherry's comments are getting people talking about what Remembrance Day is all about and hopefully the folks he is calling out take note and educate themselves.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

I agree that is what he should have said, but I don’t think he slipped up. The way he was stuttering tells me he knew he shouldn’t say it, but he just could not help himself. He made statement without proven facts, thereby demonizing a certain group. Exactly how many immigrants are not wearing poppies, Don? How many “real canadians” are wearing poppies, Don? How many real canadians are not wearing poppies? Who is a real Canadian?

The disappointing thing is that a lot of people agree with him, without having the facts, or correcting him by stating “ there are a lot of people in Canada not wearing poppies, they are not necessarily all immigrants”.

Like I said before, just because some hunters poach, not all hunters are poachers. What he said is some hunters are poachers, therefore all hunters are poachers.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:34 AM

As a person who is the son of a freedom fighter, my dad served in the second world war, I believe that Don Cherry is dead nuts on. I was going to say a lot more, but I thought better of it.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.. I think he slipped up when he singled out one demographic. Believe he wanted to say anyone not wearing one.
I like Cherry and hope he stays, but he doesn't fit into today's softer viewers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I tend to agree with this as well. He doesn't have speech writers polishing up everything that he says, and is from a generation in which political correctness was never at the forefront. Most people in his generation grew up so busy working hard and trying to survive, that they didn't have a lot of time to sit around and worry about being politically correct.

In my opinion the vast majority of immigrants are very patriotic when it comes to being Canadian, and truly appreciate how fortunate they are to live in Canada. Spend some time at any of the Canada day celebrations, or attend a citizenship swearing in ceremony and it is clearly evident. Many Canadians born in Canada could learn quite a lot about how great it is being a Canadian from speaking to those who weren't born here.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Canada.
Where hockey commentators are held to a higher accountability than prime ministers.....
Smh.
that would be funny , if it wasnt true .
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Watching the ceremony and parade on TV, both those marching and those in the crowd, Don Cherry has hit the nail squarely on the head.

And for the wingnut (I won't even bother quoting because of the ignorance of his comments) look at the people on TV. Looks very similar to those that would be found enjoying our national pass time, you know the unwashed puck slapping masses, the ones that made it possible for you to shoot off your mouth in English or any language of your choosing from the freedom and safety of your Canadian home.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Maybe the poppies just fell off the lapels, they don't stay in place very well. I had one on the other day, but lost it an hour later. Does that mean I'm disrespectful?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Slightly off topic but this reminds me of what they are trying to do in Toronto.

There is growing support to cancel the annual airshow because it is traumatic to new Canadians who came here from countries that have had war planes overhead.

It is because of these planes that we have these freedoms.

I just can't believe how we are loosing our traditions. Don't you dare put up that Christmas tree, happy Festivus.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 AM

He actually never said “immigrants or refugees”. But those looking for outrage in the matter are filling in the blank that fuels their fire.

LC
Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Slightly off topic but this reminds me of what they are trying to do in Toronto.

There is growing support to cancel the annual airshow because it is traumatic to new Canadians who came here from countries that have had war planes overhead.

It is because of these planes that we have these freedoms.

I just can't believe how we are loosing our traditions. Don't you dare put up that Christmas tree, happy Festivus.
Punjabi is the fifth most common language now spoke in Canada. Give it 20 to 30 years and watch it move to number two. Rememberance Day will only be a memory at best...
Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
He actually never said “immigrants or refugees”. But those looking for outrage in the matter are filling in the blank that fuels their fire.

LC
With all due respect, and I respect you and think you are pretty smart, ..... do you, for one minute, believe that was not clearly implied based on how he said it?

Come on Lefty ... I have to call it out ...

Don's point was BANG ON THE MONEY ..... until he insinuated the issue was immigrants not wearing poppies and singling them out ...... and not everyone like he should have .....that's where it went sideways for him.

Last edited by EZM; 11-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:

LC
Lefty, unless you are new, his disdain for European and Russian players taking NHL spots over the years pretty much spells it out. He is a Canadian Patriot through and through.

I’m very ok with that at this point. Canadians and Canadians that took up arms for this country first...

Last edited by 1899b; 11-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 AM

The lack of respect shown these days is disgusting and it’s only going to get worse from here.

Our country is losing what limited identity it has left.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 AM

How about we let Don fill in the blank...he may have meant “new Canadians” he may have meant millennials he may have meant city folks from Downtown Toronto...because that’s who he was talking about when the comment was made. Wouldn’t it be rascist for us to imply that downtown Torontians are all of a certain colour/race or background?

I’m an just pointing out he never actually said “immigrants” or “refugees” that is being implied by many.

It is likely he meant all Canadians should be patriotic and respectful but like many of his rants...he went out of bounds

Did anyone notice Ron’s body language? He nodded in agreement to Grapes lol. But I guess he already said sorry and said Grapes was a bad guy for saying what he said.

LC
Old 11-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Ron’s a weasel sell out.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM

https://youtu.be/3xva-cdBi8E.

Reminds me of this song. "coaches corner" by propagandhi outta winnipeg.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A serious question to people saying that Grapes said what most people were thinking. Is what he said really representative of what’s going on in Toronto? I have no idea of what immigrants are or aren’t doing in Edmonton let alone there. I honestly don’t know and never even thought about it up until now.

I watched it live last night and I immediately knew that Don stepped in it big time. What he said was so wrong to say on national tv.......wow. At the bar with buddies or whatever, but on national tv? You just can’t single out minorities for something like this whether it’s immigrants, Natives, Asians, people of colour, Jewish, gays, etc, etc, etc. Of course there’s going to be backlash......big surprise!

I remember after another “bozo eruption” the CBC put him on a five second delay.......lol. His filter is broken and if he’s not fired, I think that it would be prudent for Sportsnet to do something similar.

I really like Don’s support for the Military and Veterans but when he’s wrong, he’s wrong.
I agree, I like DC but this was wrong. I was talking about this last year and again this year with a vet friend. Fewer people seem to be wearing them in the Lethbridge area.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
How about we let Don fill in the blank...he may have meant “new Canadians” he may have meant millennials he may have meant city folks from Downtown Toronto...because that’s who he was talking about when the comment was made. Wouldn’t it be rascist for us to imply that downtown Torontians are all of a certain colour/race or background?

I’m an just pointing out he never actually said “immigrants” or “refugees” that is being implied by many.

It is likely he meant all Canadians should be patriotic and respectful but like many of his rants...he went out of bounds

Did anyone notice Ron’s body language? He nodded in agreement to Grapes lol. But I guess he already said sorry and said Grapes was a bad guy for saying what he said.

LC
Don said "you people that come here and love our land of milk and honey" and "these guys paid for your way of life that you came to Canada for"

This is a direct and clear insinuation of "immigrants and refugees".
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Don may as well move to Alberta....sounds like he is unemployed.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Just got an update on my phone from the Score. Don Cherry has been fired from Spotsnet and HNIC.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
Just got an update on my phone from the Score. Don Cherry has been fired from Spotsnet and HNIC.
Pretty sad how soft everyone is getting. Veterans fought so we could be free. Now everyone is trying to give up those freedoms.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
If that is true, then that’s a shame!

BW
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Madness.

Sickening PC madness.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Pretty sad how soft everyone is getting. Veterans fought so we could be free. Now everyone is trying to give up those freedoms.
What’s even worse we have a federal government taking our freedoms away from us.

BW