Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Stop putting your over sweated grain dusted hats from the field and the engine parts you want cleaned in it. Oh you didn't know about cleaning engine parts in the dishwasher? Not good for the washer but cleans em good. I know a few people that work on rebuilding and race and they have one in their garage as well as a varsol parts cleaner.
So........ do they use vinegar and CLR to keep their garage dishwashers running smoothly ?? 😂
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sure it will. If you've got time to run 6 cycles and dump in a gallon per. Simple science says a pH of 4+ will barely dissolve a pinch of powdered baking soda. Its barely acidic and an acid base is required to dissolve calcium, lime, and other hard water caused scaling effectively. pH of 2 minimum is required and even that's going to take a good while to work.

Every factor of 10 increases or decreases a solution pH by 1. Household vinegar has a pH of roughly 2.5. Dilute 1:10, it's now 3.5. Dilute 1:100 as you're suggesting takes it to 4.5. That's a fart in a hurricane.

If one insists on using an anemic acidic at least go with citric. Its not going to dissolve anywhere near all but it beats vinegar and doesn't reek when heated. Either would be ok to clean minor filming off glassware but if there's a decent buildup in the dishwashers internals, as is usually the case, it won't make a difference at the dilution and qty's suggested.

CLR is weak sauce since they changed to formula and went away from phos acid to lactic. We can agree it should not be used simply because it's not much more effective than vinegar.

As far as appliance repair guys are concerned, most of us like to see them less rather than often, so I understand your reasoning.
What about using a concentrated vinegar (25%) and adding high heat?
Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Well an update. Ran vinegar. AND CLR. 😲 (Google said I could...).

Anyways. It looks just like it did yesterday. Except now I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside - so it must have done something.

Results will vary.

Maytag man job if work gets dicey? Warm fuzzies are good.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
What about using a concentrated vinegar (25%) and adding high heat?

I only know of 12% and it's not the type you should put on your fish and chips. You'd use less of it, 1/2, and 1/4 of the 25% if you can find it.

Heat definitely activates chloride acids. Don't have enough experience with vinegar to say y or n.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I only know of 12% and it's not the type you should put on your fish and chips. You'd use less of it, 1/2, and 1/4 of the 25% if you can find it.

Heat definitely activates chloride acids. Don't have enough experience with vinegar to say y or n.
I think you can get it at most asian supermarkets. But if you the same volume as you would the 5% and add a pile of heat you may get the reaction you require to dissolve the scale. 5% works well in my kettle to clean the element. But I agree with you, other acids may be more suitable.

Last edited by AndrewM; 11-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Dishwasher problem

The wife ok?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Sure it will. If you've got time to run 6 cycles and dump in a gallon per. Simple science says a pH of 4+ will barely dissolve a pinch of powdered baking soda. Its barely acidic and an acid base is required to dissolve calcium, lime, and other hard water caused scaling effectively. pH of 2 minimum is required and even that's going to take a good while to work.

Every factor of 10 increases or decreases a solution pH by 1. Household vinegar has a pH of roughly 2.5. Dilute 1:10, it's now 3.5. Dilute 1:100 as you're suggesting takes it to 4.5. That's a fart in a hurricane.

If one insists on using an anemic acidic at least go with citric. Its not going to dissolve anywhere near all but it beats vinegar and doesn't reek when heated. Either would be ok to clean minor filming off glassware but if there's a decent buildup in the dishwashers internals, as is usually the case, it won't make a difference at the dilution and qty's suggested.

CLR is weak sauce since they changed to formula and went away from phos acid to lactic. We can agree it should not be used simply because it's not much more effective than vinegar.

As far as appliance repair guys are concerned, most of us like to see them less rather than often, so I understand your reasoning.
Listen, I’m not a chemist and am not going into the analyzing the formulas etc, all I’m saying that this trick with vinegar works! I don’t understand why are you keep arguing/questioning this. Try it once, thank me later. Or don’t, I really don’t care. Been recommending customers that for the past 20 years and not a single person told me it didn’t clean his dw. It’s just the way it is!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Listen, I’m not a chemist and am not going into the analyzing the formulas etc, all I’m saying that this trick with vinegar works! I don’t understand why are you keep arguing/questioning this. Try it once, thank me later. Or don’t, I really don’t care. Been recommending customers that for the past 20 years and not a single person told me it didn’t clean his dw. It’s just the way it is!
Lemi shine should work as well. Easy to store powder that doesn’t take up much space. Supposed to help with scale in dishwashers.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Default Vinegar

We have been using vinegar in our dishwasher for years. Hard water in town. Put a half cup in with every load. Buy in bulk from Costco. It works
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Lemi shine should work as well. Easy to store powder that doesn’t take up much space. Supposed to help with scale in dishwashers.

It's citric acid which I mentioned earlier. A bit weaker than vinegar. If you like it you could likely save $$ buying it in its normal form vs paying for the brand name.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
It's citric acid which I mentioned earlier. A bit weaker than vinegar. If you like it you could likely save $$ buying it in its normal form vs paying for the brand name.
Thank you for the info. I was well aware of that but wanted to point out an option that every Canadian tire has and is easy to find. Only use I need of Lemishine is to clean my brass while tumbling. Works amazing.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Laugh if you want but Tang orange juice crystals work like a hot damn to clean up dishwashers.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Well I think it leaked tonight, test it out again tomorrow so it may be a moot point. Thanks for all the tips people!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
So........ do they use vinegar and CLR to keep their garage dishwashers running smoothly ?? ��
I will ask, it was brought up about two weeks ago but they say it works. Go figure. Nothing like a nice warm wash and a heated dry after a varsol bath.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Question Repair or buy new?

Were you able to identify the source of the leak? Was the leak clean water or soapy water?
If it was clean water near the front, the water inlet valve is the most common point of failure. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to change on most models. Don't forget the teflon tape on threaded fittings.
Soapy water near the middle? Unless it is a leaking hose, the repair gets more complicated, and the parts are more expensive. Decide how much you are willing to invest in a 8-9 year old appliance before you get too far into it.
Amre Supply and Reliable Parts are good sources for replacement parts.
https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/D...r-Parts-632542
https://www.reliableparts.ca/catalog/474959

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 AM

I Agree with Urban Rednek.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the patience, a house full of family for a week and today I checked all the items that were suggested and everything looks fine. The "leak" turned out to be someone opening it while it was running. My electrician uncle came up with the simplest suggestion...flip the breaker off for a couple of minutes...of course that may only work temporarily but it has kept me from having to cancel the cycle repeatedly and restart. I can delay buying new one for now.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Scott
Old 11-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Wink

Did you clean the water sensor at the bottom of the tray like I described earlier or does it not have one?
Old 11-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Try the old fashioned way, use the sink.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Here is the best Maintanance tip you will ever have for the dishwasher: once a month empty your dw, take a large coffee mug and fill it with the regular white vinegar to the 3/4 and place it on the top rack. Turn the dw on the heavy duty cycle with the hottest temp settings. Let it run thru the cycle.
It dispenses the vinegar slowly cleaning all internal parts including the pump, valves and filters etc etc etc. It removes all hard water build ups and all soap residue. It is not toxic and the dw can be used right after that without additional flushing/cleaning.
x2 but i use 2 cups of vinegar...LOL....

Been good for almost 10 years now. Replaced the chopper a few months back as well which prevented the top rack from getting cleaned.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Did you clean the water sensor at the bottom of the tray like I described earlier or does it not have one?
No H2O sensor in this model.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Try the old fashioned way, use the sink.
When its just me at home that's what happens, but with a house full of guests, or when three daughters, GF and her daughter rotate through, mechanized assistance is the way I roll.