Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Default found wildlife

I was wondering what the process is for found dead wildlife? I assume I need to take it to F&W to get it tested and to get a certificate before I can do anything with it? I found a bobcat ran over on the street this morning on my way to work. I phoned and left a VM this morning with F&W but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 01:06 PM

take pictures call it in with date time and location.You will have to take it in to an office anyways so if you pick it up this will at least back up you story.They will check it out and most likely issue you a permit to have it
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Gone Hunting

I've asked about this.

I was told to take it to F&W. They inspect it for signs of being road kill, if satisfied that it is road kill they issue you a permit that allows you to do what you wish with it.

Seems to me that the permit costs $10.00

From the wildlife act;

Quote:
Permit to possess found dead wildlife - eligibility and transfer
66(1); Any resident who, on land where that resident has a right to
be, finds dead wildlife that has not been shot, trapped or poisoned
and that is not an endangered animal and who delivers it to an
appointed officer is eligible to obtain or hold a permit to possess
found dead wildlife in respect of that wildlife.
Quote:
Permit to possess found dead wildlife
134; A person who finds dead wildlife may, before obtaining a
permit, take the wildlife into possession and retain it, but his right
to possess the wildlife under this section ends as soon as it becomes
reasonably possible for him to apply for a permit to possess found
dead wildlife.
From page 30 of the hunting regulations;

Quote:
Found Dead Wildlife
When driving or walking, hunters often find dead wildlife that they would like to keep. In most cases it is unlawful to possess such wildlife or parts of
wildlife without first obtaining a permit. Contact a Fish and Wildlife office to apply for such a permit before taking possession of the wildlife.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Last Monday there was a 170+ inch typical whitetail buck laying in the highway ditch right in the town of Devon. If I hadn't been on a mission to get somewhere I would have claimed it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Funny this thread should show up since I saw a guy loading up a roadkilled moose into a horse trailer on the side of 43 today.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Funny this thread should show up since I saw a guy loading up a roadkilled moose into a horse trailer on the side of 43 today.
When I worked highway maintenance we had arrangements with a few local trappers and predator hunters which allowed them to pick up and use roadkill Moose and Deer for their work. All with the blessing of SRD.

Part of most, if not all highway maintenance contracts call for the contractor to remove large road kill. So they have special authorization to posses any road kill they find within their area. They can deliver that road kill to interested parties or authorize such parties to pick it up on the contractors behalf.

Might be that is what you witnessed.

Last summer I helped a trucker load a Bear that he had hit on hwy 35 south of Manning. He wasn't sure if it was legal but I assured him it was so long as he took it to the nearest F$W and applied for a possession permit.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 PM

Must get permission or have been given a letter to pick up road kill before loading in you vehicle. If you pick it up you can be charged with be in illegal possession of wildlife. You can say you had intentions to take it to F&W but it would be up to the officers discretion of weather you are telling the truth.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Must get permission or have been given a letter to pick up road kill before loading in you vehicle. If you pick it up you can be charged with be in illegal possession of wildlife. You can say you had intentions to take it to F&W but it would be up to the officers discretion of weather you are telling the truth.
Good advice,

Even though the wildlife act specifies that you may take possession providing you take the carcass to the nearest F&F office as soon as reasonably possible.

The wording leaves one open to being charged anyway. It all depends on the officer who finds you with it. And that could be when you deliver it to their office to apply for a permit.

I've never had an issue nore has anyone I know, but there is no doubt in my mind what would happen if officer Ben Covey discovered me or anyone with found dead wildlife. He would lay charges and pursue them with the utmost vigor.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
I was wondering what the process is for found dead wildlife? I assume I need to take it to F&W to get it tested and to get a certificate before I can do anything with it? I found a bobcat ran over on the street this morning on my way to work. I phoned and left a VM this morning with F&W but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks
Good advice in this thread for sure. Had a friend who lived in the Waiparous Village years ago (rest his soul) and he basically did the same as mentioned on here about the road kill. He had quite the collection of forest critters. He also had a really good friend who was a taxidermist.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
That's not right, Mike. You must attempt to contact AEP prior to taking possession of the found dead wildlife but if you can't (ie. no cell phone coverage) you can take possession of it and contact them asap. I do it all of the time and have no issues.

Keg posted the regs wrt this from the Wildlife Act:

"Permit to possess found dead wildlife
134; A person who finds dead wildlife may, before obtaining a
permit
, take the wildlife into possession and retain it
, but his right
to possess the wildlife under this section ends as soon as it becomes
reasonably possible for him to apply for a permit to possess found
dead wildlife."
Old 11-15-2019, 10:53 AM

FYI, there is a young bull moose in the ditch about 5km north on Bearspaw road, it was lying there this morning. Just thought I would mention it if any trappers have a permit. there was also a WT doe on Crowchild just outside of city limits this morning too, both fresh.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Yes Dave I have the same permit as you to pick up road kill. I was told that if I could not reach anyone at F&W that for my protection I should leave a message with all the pertinent information.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:55 PM

There is some new procedures in place for this year and moving forward. When I picked up my trappers license I was handed this sheet.

LC