Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Down to one rifle

Well, I have finally sold all my rifles except for one. I have decided to be a one gun guy. I kept my left hand, Stainless with black laminate stock Ruger M77 mark 11 with 3 position safety in 30-06. I will start developing loads for it starting this week. I don't hunt as much and as hard as before, health and work are getting in the way, the kids have been long gone and not to interested in any meat and the wife is almost a vegetarian. So, its only me and I as well don't seem to eat as much red meat these days. My hunting will consist of maybe going out a couple times for coyote, deer and/or small elk if drawn.
I lied I also have a Tikka T3 lite .243 I will be selling soon.
This is something I have been wanting to do for a while. If I fail i can always start adding again.
Would you keep the .243 instead? The elk is a big maybe.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Hard to beat a stainless Ruger 30-06 as a do it all gun. Just a very well balanced cartridge, that's capable of handling heavy, high SD bullets. Prices are relatively reasonable to reload for it as well.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 PM

I'd keep the '06 and the 243.
Not a bad place to be.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Guy should do whatever feels right to him. The day I get down to one gun I will have been dead at least a month or better.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2 View Post
guy should do whatever feels right to him. The day i get down to one gun i will have been dead at least a month or better.
lol
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Send the 243 down the road

For sure.

Serious.

Did I say get get rid of the 243?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Keep the .243

The 30-06 is too big for coyotes. I’d personally keep the .243 as it will kill any North American big game animal out there. JMHO.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guy should do whatever feels right to him. The day I get down to one gun I will have been dead at least a month or better.
To funny!
I felt that way as well, but just trying to simplify my life in all areas. If I have a breakdown in the future, I can always buy more.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:51 AM

I would keep the 30-06 around because of how much more versatile it is. You can get many different bullet weights and you would not be under gunned for anything.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 AM

are you selling the coyote skins? or just predator management? between the 2 it would be whatever makes you smile the most at the thought of carrying it in the bush. it seems like the 30-06 is your favourite. I'm a one gun guy (at least till today. picking up a pre-64 m 70 that'll stay iron sights) and I love my 17 pound custom R700. i have a backpack style sling. I've carried it for days on end. did a trip with it to New Zealand this spring hiking over their big mountains for tahr and chamois. just last weekend i had it with me for 25 km while walking for deer. I'm super familiar with it, on my second barrel, and I know it wont let me down
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
I'd keep the '06 and the 243.
Not a bad place to be.
You're right!
Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 PM

Keep the Ruger, sell the Tikka... what calibers were they again?

JK, keep the 30-06. I can remember a few of these posts throughout your thinning process, you always agonise about the decision, but I get the feeling you always knew your last rifle would be that Ruger. Stick with the plan.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Nah, I've seen all your guns, it will take your wife a lot longer to sell all those toys !!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Keeping both is a good idea.

But if your set on keeping only one, then I’d say 30-06
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Is your 243 also a lefty? If so, sell it to me for my daughter

If I only had one, it would be a 30-06. If I only had 2, a 30-06 and a 17 HMR or 223.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:

In case I haven't said it enough..."thanks for willing them to me....dad."
Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krthegunslinger View Post
The 30-06 is too big for coyotes. I’d personally keep the .243 as it will kill any North American big game animal out there. JMHO.
So let’s under gun for elk so we are not over gunned for coyotes? Blow them dogs in half
Old 11-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
So let’s under gun for elk so we are not over gunned for coyotes? Blow them dogs in half
Would t think about ruining a good yote. I buy a rifle or two every year with coyote money. Not to mention it is illegal to waste the hide of a fur bearing animal. I’ve killed elk and moose with the .243 It all depends on the ability of the shooter.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
So a 243 is good for grizzly and brown bear? lol ok just because it will kill something if its all you had in a defense situation doesn't mean it's a good choice.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Would t think about ruining a good yote. I buy a rifle or two every year with coyote money. Not to mention it is illegal to waste the hide of a fur bearing animal. I’ve killed elk and moose with the .243 It all depends on the ability of the shooter.
Seriously Alberta considers a coyote a fur bearing animal?? If that’s honestly the case me thinks there’s a lot of farmers and ranchers that would be susceptible to a fair number of tickets each year!!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Seriously Alberta considers a coyote a fur bearing animal?? If that’s honestly the case me thinks there’s a lot of farmers and ranchers that would be susceptible to a fair number of tickets each year!!
Clearly outlined in the regs that the only exception is for controlling problem wildlife.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes coyote and wolf) or black bear taken in accordance with regulations authorizing the control of problem wildlife set out in this part. The skin and skull of cougar taken on privately-owned land as described must be submitted at time of registration as noted, but the cougar pelt does not need to be further salvaged. Click here for information about seasons for coyote and wolf.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:27 PM

If fur is a consideration, use a heavy bullet or FMJ.

I remember an old article in one of the Gun Digests, about fox rifles. I think the guy's taken hundreds, and he had about 20 fox rifles. Some of them were .224 cal, .243 Win, 6mm Reminton, 25-06, and 7mm Remington. And apparently he had no problem with too much destruction.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:03 PM

A guy can get by just fine with a 30-06, once my boys grow up and I will give them each a quality rifle from my small collection I will be down to my 30-06 that my late dad bought me 23 years ago. It will eventually be my one gun to do it all besides a shotgun and 22. With my 30-06 I have taken a coyote at less than 30 yards with a 180 accubond and surprisingly it didn’t do lots of fur damage. I would rather cleanly take an elk any day than cleanly take a coyote. A premium bullet will do minimal damage to a coyote, think ttsx, e-tip or gmx.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Send the 243 down the road

For sure.

Serious.

Did I say get get rid of the 243?
Oh yes you did and I have to agree all the way.