Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Don't be lulled into thinking the 286gr SP will hold together either.I had them fragment to pieces on a med WT buck at 50 yards and on a cow moose shoulder at 180 yards.I had intensive communication with Hornady including sending my remaining bullets to their lab for testing.Of course in ballistic gelatin they performed wonderful or so they said.They were good about it and had Korth give me more of the same bullets I don't trust and some 250gr GMX that I never got around to trying yet.On a grizzly I'd have been dead.I use 286gr Partitions now problem solved.This was at only 2400fps.Things got hot on the forum but as I said your mileage may vary.
I had nearly the total oppisite results on a smallish bull the bullet tore through and I feel the bullet did not expand as much as I would have liked...Quartering away at about 75 yards behind the right hind rib and bullet exited through at the base of the neck. punched the heart and he looked like he had garden hoses leaking blood from both holes. But the bullet did not expand and impart any trama..Took another round through the heart again before he finally fell over.

Critters and bullets....fickeled things indeed.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.