Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2020, 06:29 PM

Default BC Tuna Fishing

Has anyone on here been fishing for Yellowfin Tuna in BC? I saw a video of people fly fishing for tuna a few years ago and would love to experience it for myself. If so, who did you go with? Any info would be great, and in particular it would be great to hear of any charters that cater to fly guys.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:04 PM

I think you're talking about albacore right? 80 miles offshore

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 PM

I fished them once out of Kyuquot. We were at the fuel dock one day a boat came in with a couple dozen onboard. We followed them out about 20km the next day and caught a boat load using great big hali skirts. We were back the next year with a ton of tuna gear but they were way off shore. The year we caught them we also hooked a bunch of Salmon Sharks but we never saw them again either. It’s a cool time but you need to head way offshore most years.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I think you're talking about albacore right? 80 miles offshore
Yes you're right, albacore not yellowfin.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:01 AM

There is a link / app that tracks the water temps, if a remember correctly. I'll see if I can find it. That is what a good number of the outfitters use every year to know how far to go. Seems to vary a lot.
Seems to start in July and goes to September, depending on the year.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Heh, there is a Tuna derby out of Tofino. I didn't watch it but here is the link:

https://youtu.be/1lk6YbqEdmg
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37 AM

You are far better off going down to the washington/oregon border where the columbia river comes out. Tuna are way closer in to shore and its far more consistent. As some people have mentioned, one year they are 20km off shore in BC and the next theyre 80 as it all depends on the warmer water current and where it is that particular year.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
You are far better off going down to the washington/oregon border where the columbia river comes out. Tuna are way closer in to shore and its far more consistent. As some people have mentioned, one year they are 20km off shore in BC and the next theyre 80 as it all depends on the warmer water current and where it is that particular year.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that and will check it out.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that and will check it out.
I know some guys that did it out from One of Vancouver Islands salmon lodges one year.

The lodge got a report that tuna were 20 miles offshore.

So a whole mess of boats filled up with Gerry cans and took off. They caught a ton and it cost a ton to bring the boxes of tuna back on Air Canada.

One thing he said the guides told them was you need a bunch of boats to go. Then when one finds them the rest can all converge. Otherwise a long, long trip with a low chance of success.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Tones of information on BC sports fishing forum on tuna fishing.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:19 AM

I did an overnight Albacore trip out of Westport, Washington a few years ago. was 10 of us on the boat. left port at 8pm and spent the night on the boat 50 miles off shore. woke up in the morning already on the fish. we boated 167 Albacore by 6 pm. and headed back to port. was a fun trip. brought home over 100Lbs of filets each. well worth the trip. Westport has lots of charters and guides available. the motel had a room for processing and packaging your fish with ice available. each room had a bbq. lots of fun and sore arms
Old 11-11-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
I did an overnight Albacore trip out of Westport, Washington a few years ago. was 10 of us on the boat. left port at 8pm and spent the night on the boat 50 miles off shore. woke up in the morning already on the fish. we boated 167 Albacore by 6 pm. and headed back to port. was a fun trip. brought home over 100Lbs of filets each. well worth the trip. Westport has lots of charters and guides available. the motel had a room for processing and packaging your fish with ice available. each room had a bbq. lots of fun and sore arms
Now that sounds like a fun time!

I was only ever into them the one time but it was non-stop action.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 AM

Default Tuna fishing

Ive been tuna fishing the last few years out of Quatsino sound. It varies but anywhere from 25-70 miles off shore. I sure wish I knew about this fishery sooner as I really look forward to it now. Id post some pictures but I'm not sure how to post pictures here.
Jim
Old 11-16-2020, 08:06 AM

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/4p1OJxz" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/4p1OJxz"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 11-16-2020, 11:46 AM

Default fixed it for you

https://imgur.com/a/4p1OJxz
Old 11-16-2020, 03:01 PM