Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Help me with my boat research?

I've gotten the all clear from the wife to start researching for a boat purchase. We're a ways out since we plan to purchase in mid 2022 or so, but there's a ton of learning I want/need to do before I pull the trigger.

We're looking for something that will give us the most options and funtionality so we put the boat to use rather than have it sit. This would ideally mean something we can use on rivers like the Wapiti, Peace, Smokey, and Murray since we live in GP and rivers are more common than lakes. That said, we love fishing lakes for trout so we'd like to be able to use the boat on lakes the size of Rock Lake near Hinton or Sheridan Lake in BC. We'd probably take it to Sturgeon Lake as well depending on the wind.

I realize a river boat isn't going to perform ideally on a lake once the whitecaps start rolling but I'm almost always off the lake by then since flyfishing in those winds kinda sucks. I'm willing to sacrifice a smoother ride on the lake by using a jet boat and I'm willing to give up running skinny water to have a slightly deeper hull. I've been thinking a hull somewhere in the 10 - 12 degree, maybe up to 15 degree range would work for us. I haven't run the rivers I named above, so I'm not sure if some or all of those need a flatter hull or if I can get away with a deeper one.

I'm also debating inboard vs outboard jet. I like that the outboard frees up a lot of space in the boat. It strikes me that outboards would be easier to maintain and cheaper to repair. Not sure if that's true. I'm also under the impression that outboards will be better on fuel. Again, not totally sure on that.

Here's my list of wants and I'm wondering if you all have suggestions on boats to look at and add to my list. I'll most likely be looking for a used boat, so having a list of models will be helpful when I begin actively searching.

-$30K, give or take a bit. Hard ceiling of $40K and it'd have to be a one-of-a-kind boat.
- Max of 18ft if the trailer has a swing tongue, I have 21 feet of length to play with in my garage.
- Interior room for 2, maybe 3 people fly fishing
- Ability to run some reasonable rivers but also be usable on medium size lakes.
- Not adverse to a tiller model, but a side console would be nice for those longer days (running the Murray up to Kinuseo falls for example)
- Kicker mount
- Ability to bow mount an electric trolling motor for the lake days
- Wide and stable
- A no frills a boat (no livewells, minimal storage compartments etc). I want simplicity, reliability and longevity over frills. I can add accessories if I want.

Anything else I should be considering?

Boats that I've seen which pique my interest are the Coyote 160 Otter (seems pretty narrow and interior layout is poor), Explorer Industries 172 (most likely too flat a bottom) and the Hewescraft Open Fisherman (might be too deep a V for rivers?). The Firefish Frenzy looks nice and it seems like a 12deg hull is an option, but I expect it's way out of my price range even used
Old 07-13-2021, 10:00 PM

Cubco in Wetaskiwin makes the 17' Jackfish

Ad in Kijiji!
Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Cubco in Wetaskiwin makes the 17' Jackfish

Ad in Kijiji!
That looks pretty nice. I've never heard of Cub-Co boats. I'll add them to the list. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2021, 08:17 AM

16' Otter ob
Old 07-14-2021, 03:35 PM

Just learned about this inflatable Solar 470 jetboat. Looks like quite the unit and under 8K price tag. Video shows one running on a couple inches of water. Another vid I watched showed one going up a whitewater chute too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7dDbYBRgW
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-14-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Just learned about this inflatable Solar 470 jetboat. Looks like quite the unit and under 8K price tag. Video shows one running on a couple inches of water. Another vid I watched showed one going up a whitewater chute too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7dDbYBRgW
That's a neat little boat but I don't think it will work for us. My wife would prefer a regular aluminum boat for comfort and safety.

If I needed a cheap river runner for just me, I'd take a close look at that though.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
16' Otter ob
Gibbons boats
Old 07-14-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
16' Otter ob
Quote:
Gibbons boats
The Otter is one that has really caught my eye. My main concern with it is that it seems really narrow at 71". The cargo box in the middle of the floor would also be lost on me but I suppose I could order such a boat without it.

I've also been eyeing the 180 Otter. The layout looks ideal for me, I could just squeeze it into the garage, and the extra 10" or so of beam over the 160 would be fantastic. I'm not sure if it's in my budget though, I'll have to get in touch with Gibbons I suppose.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:58 AM

I was in the same position early last year. My biggest advice is to figure out exactly what you want then look at boats (from dealers, ie. kingfisher, thunderjet etc.) and contact builders with your requirements. Try to find guys with the boats on your short list, get them to take you out on the river to see how they work and if they meet your requirements. Power to weight is another big thing, if you don't have enough power it will take forever to get on plane loaded up and on shallow rivers this can get you into trouble.

For me it was a 17-18' boat with seating for 5, inboard because I wanted the most power I could get in that size boat, and the same options you are talking about.

I did look at used boats for about a year but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Also paying 35k for a 20 year old boat is a gamble, pumps and motors are not cheap.

I ended up going with a custom Explorer, 186 with a 6.2 8deg hull. It was around the same cost of a kingfisher but with all the options I wanted and 200hp more power. I like the fact that I live close to them, was able to see the entire build process and they were very easy to deal with.

The Explorer outboard was also on my short list but I like the taller sides and layout of the inboard better.

Bratt, Outlaw and firefish make very nice boats. They might be tougher than the explorer but you are also paying for it. If I was running big rapids and jumping sand bars I would of went with a Bratt or outlaw, but when you are just fishing with the family and cruising the river its hard to justify the extra $20k+.

The boat handles ok on the lake, you can't pound through white caps like a deep v.

Fuel burn is around 7.5-9gph on the river cruising 30mph. Lake is around the same.

My only regret going from a prop to a jet is not doing it sooner.

If your in the Edmonton area and want to see what the 186 is like on the water let me know and we will go for a ride.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:12 PM

Keep in mind that Mercury no longer makes the sport jet so parts will be harder to come by for used boats equipped with that style of engine/jet package.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:05 PM

I did what you are proposing in the 90's. What you end up with is a OK riverboat and a **** poor lake boat. The silk purse out of a sows ear is a difficult thing to do. Good luck.