Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 10:51 AM

Default Ice Fishing at Lac Sante

We are planning an ice fishing trip to Lac Sante this weekend. We have never been there before and are looking for advice on what part of the lake we should go to.

We are planning on fishing for Pike or Whitefish in the afternoon and then fish for burbot starting in the evening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:34 AM

Take some Kub along to eat. Fishing in that lake has never been great. My Mother In Law had a home there for many years. Tried fishing it summer from boats and winter through the ice, rarely caught a fish. The water has quite a high Alkaline content and used to have a Pelican population so I think that really limits the fish too. The last couple of years before she sold in 2020, even the Pelicans weren't around so I suspect the fish population isn't high enough even for them.

There may be someone who has had better luck there but it sure wasn't me.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:44 PM

There are very few if any fish left in sante other than burbot. The alkaline and saline levels have prevented successful spawing for a long long time from what I was told by a CO. I hear stories of the odd huge pike being caught every couple years....but it's pretty much strictly a burbot fishery now and even that is on the decline as the lake gets absolutely hammered every winter. 5-10 years ago there were lots of 8-10lb burbs in that lake....a few in the teens....now it's a struggle to catch anything bigger than 2-4lbs but there are still lots of those.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend any good lakes that are around 2 hours away from Edmonton?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryCrypto View Post
Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend any good lakes that are around 2 hours away from Edmonton?
Wabamun. Take the kids and have fun.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:20 PM

You don't have to travel anywhere near 2 hours to find decent fishing around Edmonton. Wab as mentioned, Lac St Anne, Pigeon lake, for Pike, Whitefish and Walleye. Also, Hasse, Morinvile, the golf course pond at Cardif and a wack of others near here that are stocked for trout. If you get hold of the Alberta stocking guide it lists all the ponds near Edmonton, when they were stocked and with what.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:47 PM

Lac Santé has upwards of 20 vehicles on the lake every night burbot fishing. Do not attempt to drive further than the tracks there is 1ft of flood water minimum under the snow.

I was sledding there last weekend but did not fish.

Folks at the lake are catching a lot of small burbot. Seems like the winter community and the town of Two hills empties out to fish the burbs here.

I agree with the alkaline comments but I have to say that there seems to be a fair number of burbot caught with little effort.

It used to be called "Big Fish lake" in the earlier half of the 1900s and many people fed families from this lake. It is a spring/ground fed lake which is why it has such clean water.

It may have declined like every other lake with time and pressure. But I think it does okay.

Chip lake may be a another close burbot destination closer to Edmonton.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchjig View Post
Lac Santé has upwards of 20 vehicles on the lake every night burbot fishing. Do not attempt to drive further than the tracks there is 1ft of flood water minimum under the snow.

I was sledding there last weekend but did not fish.

Folks at the lake are catching a lot of small burbot. Seems like the winter community and the town of Two hills empties out to fish the burbs here.

I agree with the alkaline comments but I have to say that there seems to be a fair number of burbot caught with little effort.

It used to be called "Big Fish lake" in the earlier half of the 1900s and many people fed families from this lake. It is a spring/ground fed lake which is why it has such clean water.

It may have declined like every other lake with time and pressure. But I think it does okay.

Chip lake may be a another close burbot destination closer to Edmonton.
Okay I stand corrected, yes you can catch Burbot there. I have not ever intentionally fished for Burbot. Seems to have become a thing the last number of years since you can't keep much of anything else to eat. I still say, lots of great fishing much closer to Edmonton, and lots of great fishing lakes close the Lac Sante, unless of course you REALLY want to catch Burbot. I will leave it to others who know with respect to recommending Burbot fishing spots.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:38 PM

I would like to go for Pike or Whitefish although I understand that Whitefish are best caught in December. There are not many lakes in the Edmonton vicinity where you can keep the fish.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryCrypto View Post
I would like to go for Pike or Whitefish although I understand that Whitefish are best caught in December. There are not many lakes in the Edmonton vicinity where you can keep the fish.
I think you can keep from sylvan? I could be wrong. But was able to catch both whites and pike last time I was there. And 1.5hrs from edmonton.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Okay I stand corrected, yes you can catch Burbot there. I have not ever intentionally fished for Burbot. Seems to have become a thing the last number of years since you can't keep much of anything else to eat. I still say, lots of great fishing much closer to Edmonton, and lots of great fishing lakes close the Lac Sante, unless of course you REALLY want to catch Burbot. I will leave it to others who know with respect to recommending Burbot fishing spots.
People have been specifically targeting Burbot in Sante for decades.

Tags
ice fishing, lac sante