Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2021, 09:55 AM

Lightbulb Wabamun Lake WAVES Ice Fishing Fishing Tournament

Good morning everyone!

If you have not heard yet, this is an Ice Fishing Tournament happening on January 29th and 30th, 2022 on Wabamun Lake. There will be a Prize Category for-

Longest Whitefish
Longest Burbot
Longest Whitefish Stringer (3 fish)
Longest Burbot Stringer (3 fish)

This tournament is being held through the Fish Donkey App, and you can find enter the tournament here-

https://tourney.fishdonkey.com/#/tou...o/8451/details

Information for the tournament and its organizer, WAVES (Wabamun Area Volunteer Entertainment Society), can be found here-

https://wabamunwaves.wixsite.com/waves

Take a look and see if this is something that may interest you as there are a handful of local business' supplying some great prize packs, including fishing trips, tackle, rods and reels, and gift cards! Its a great cause and a relatively inexpensive way to get involved in supporting a community initiative, have some fun fishing, and possibly win some wicked prizes!

The organization is raising funds to build a new skate park for the kids and teens in the community. More details can be found here-

https://wabamunwaves.wixsite.com/waves/projects-2

Entrance fees-

Adult- $40
Under 16- $25

Hope to see a bunch of AO Members out on the ice!
Old 12-31-2021, 01:10 PM

Nice! Sounds like a great idea. I hope it turns out for this and many years to come. Thanks for all the great info Swampy!
Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 PM

Tough whites to hook but they are there!! good luck to all!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 PM

Default Wabamun Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
Good morning everyone!

If you have not heard yet, this is an Ice Fishing Tournament happening on January 29th and 30th, 2022 on Wabamun Lake. There will be a Prize Category for-

Longest Whitefish
Longest Burbot
Longest Whitefish Stringer (3 fish)
Longest Burbot Stringer (3 fish)

This tournament is being held through the Fish Donkey App, and you can find enter the tournament here-

https://tourney.fishdonkey.com/#/tou...o/8451/details

Information for the tournament and its organizer, WAVES (Wabamun Area Volunteer Entertainment Society), can be found here-

https://wabamunwaves.wixsite.com/waves

Take a look and see if this is something that may interest you as there are a handful of local business' supplying some great prize packs, including fishing trips, tackle, rods and reels, and gift cards! Its a great cause and a relatively inexpensive way to get involved in supporting a community initiative, have some fun fishing, and possibly win some wicked prizes!

The organization is raising funds to build a new skate park for the kids and teens in the community. More details can be found here-

https://wabamunwaves.wixsite.com/waves/projects-2

Entrance fees-

Adult- $40
Under 16- $25

Hope to see a bunch of AO Members out on the ice!
Hey Swampy
What are the ice conditions on Wab? Lots of melt water, thin ice or ?? Where is best access?
Any details woukd be appreciated as I hear many lakes are a real mess or even hazardous
Thanks
Old 01-27-2022, 01:16 PM

I was at Isle Lake yesterday and getting around in the Subaru no problem. There is some floodwater out there, but it’s manageable.

Access can be had in the town of Wabamun, the PP, Fallis, Seba Beach, South Seba, Sundance, and even a few other areas if you’re willing to walk on.

The last few weeks out on Wabamun there has been lots of snow and some floodwater. Again, all very manageable in an AWD CUV with winter tires. Zero issues even with lots of snow and water. I’ve witnessed a few lifted 3/4 ton 4x4’s complaining of access and getting stuck with their completely bald all season tires and no shovels or options to get themselves unstuck…

I’m heading out this afternoon for a few hours, will report back.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:24 AM

Seems as though most of the floodwater has froze up, and there is now very little snow. Easy to get around the lake, although a little rough on the main tracks.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:55 PM

Hows it going out there guys ? Today is the day !
Old 01-31-2022, 02:00 PM

3 eligible fish caught out of 60+ anglers all burbot. 1st place 32inch 2nd 24 ish and 3rd place 18inch

Fun weekend hope they keep it going but doesnt say much for the burbot amd white fish numbers in wabamun! Im sure 10k 16 inch walleye were caught i even got a 17 incher! Thrilling experiance!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2022, 06:10 PM

Oh wow, I was out there and had no idea about the tournament. Hope it was a success!

We were completely skunked... :'(

Tags
burbot, fish, fishing, tournament, whitefish