Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2022, 04:24 PM

Oops, brain wasn't working when typing and cant seem to edit. Meant canyon creek to narrows area.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 04:34 PM

Default Canyon creek

Spent the last two nights at canyon creek. Access is good. Lake travel is good. There’s some drifts but you can work your way around them. No flood water. A little surface water from the rain and melt. Fishing was slow. Brought home a few.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:24 PM

Good to hear, hoping to get out there. Most fields are bear and water running in the ditches here. I’m a couple hours north west of slave.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:28 AM

Anybody out at cutbank way or Narrows? How thick is the ice? I am really paranoid about driving on the ice but have too much crap that is too heavy to haul without my truck. How is it getting around on the lake by truck now? It was tough going 2 weeks ago.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:25 AM

Buddys left cutbank yesterday ,no issues
Old 01-29-2022, 11:46 AM

Assineau now. Measured almost 2 feet in one spot but it was a clear spot with no snow and a lot of refrozen flood water. Probably less in most areas.

Lots of sun, lots of people, no fish yet I've seen.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:34 PM

Spent the night on the lake. No walleye at all. Just wondering how everyone else found the bite on slave this weekend? Super slow or maybe I just suck lol.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:17 PM

When I lived in Slave Lake back in the 90's, no one fished Assineau except for a few of the locals that actually lived there, and access was literally across some farmer's field. I used to fish with the locals after work and we pounded burbot before they were a sport fish and had no limit. But walleye were always especially rare there, even right before the spawn when they are on the move. Now I hear it's a popular spot with rental shacks and everything and I scratch my head.

I did catch a burbot there the first year they became a sport fish in 98/99 that would have been the Alberta record for the first two years had I bothered to take it to an official scale. So there's that.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the input Albertan. I guess it is challenging catching what isn't there.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:58 PM

Default Joussard

Just got back from Joussard, was there from Thursday till Sunday. 16” to 18” of ice with a lot of the snow melted down into flood water but it is mostly frozen over now. Caught two keeper walleye at about 6 am Saturday morning other than that the walleye bite was finicky, we caught jack fish like crazy, my buddies kid caught a 34 1/2” 11 pound jack and we also brought home some burbot. We rented a shack from pinto ice shack rentals and had a great time, Trevor the guy that owns them maintains a good road out, would highly recommend if you want to try an overnight fishing trip.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Thanks for the input Albertan. I guess it is challenging catching what isn't there.
They may be there now...it's almost 25 years since I fished Assineau and things can change. Still, I kinda feel like with all the rental shack business's showing up on the lake, people are being put on mediocre fishing spots. That and the lake thrives on its past reputation more than it's current production.

TBH, I haven't fished anywhere on Slave since I sold my place in Joussard back in 2017. I got tired of catching the same 17" walleye 30,000 times, left, and never looked back. I talk about going back to fish the Narrows, but I'd have to pass better lakes to get to it.

Let the flaming begin lol.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:00 AM

I wonder what slave would look like if it had a slot implemented for the last decade or two instead of the 1 over regs.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:02 AM

Going to Cutbank Thursday and I see snow, any word on trial out to cabins?
Old 01-31-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I wonder what slave would look like if it had a slot implemented for the last decade or two instead of the 1 over regs.
I actually wish they would have left the three fish limit in, or maybe cut it back to two fish year round. There are a bazillion small walleye in that lake, and I believe not enough food. I don't keep fish often, but I remember going multiple open water seasons in a row never seeing anything in the stomachs of the ones I cleaned.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:51 PM

I fish slave regularly in the winter and have caught 17 inch fish to 24 inch fish so I wouldn’t say the lake is loaded with small eyes. Fishing walleye in the winter is tough, specially mid January and February, down size hooks and baits and really focus on sunups and sundowns for the bite window could only be 15-45mins. When the bite gets tough out there and they get lock jaw dead sticking will trigger bites but make sure your running small stuff. Tight lines!!
Old 02-03-2022, 09:49 AM

The lake is far from what it once was. Used to only be a hand full of shacks fishing here at home now thers over 100 out there. 24” walleye is by no means large but on this lake you could say thats a good fish these days. Thers a ton of walleye in the lake and we are starting to think thers not enough forage to sustain a healthy fishery. The lake is in trouble, the whitefish populations have exploded since the termination of the commercial fishery and thats not good for any lake. Many may not agree because of its size but many do not realize that it gets hammered all winter long from one end to the other. The breeding stock is slowly diminishing , regs need to be changed to protect this population. It is a matter of time before its fished out or starved out. Just my observation over the past 25 years.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning74 View Post
The lake is far from what it once was. Used to only be a hand full of shacks fishing here at home now thers over 100 out there. 24” walleye is by no means large but on this lake you could say thats a good fish these days. Thers a ton of walleye in the lake and we are starting to think thers not enough forage to sustain a healthy fishery. The lake is in trouble, the whitefish populations have exploded since the termination of the commercial fishery and thats not good for any lake. Many may not agree because of its size but many do not realize that it gets hammered all winter long from one end to the other. The breeding stock is slowly diminishing , regs need to be changed to protect this population. It is a matter of time before its fished out or starved out. Just my observation over the past 25 years.
Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:31 PM

You would think if the lake is over run with whitefish then there should be a tonne of small whitefish minnows swimming around every year Probly really good walleye bait. Oh yeah and there ciscos in the lake as well I’m sure there reproducing and more food for walleye. How many creeks that carry minnows or shiners that flow into lesser slave lake. I don’t know the numbers but I’m sure there is a few forsure. This fish are far from starving but just my opinion!!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:35 PM

According to the past fisheries engagement the bios are planning on moving to 1 of 3 options.

1 over 50cm
1 between 45-50cm
1 between 50-55cm

I think a slot could do some good as long as it's given time, but however you feel this is the time to get an email sent to the powers that be and voice concerns.

Anyways not going to derail this thread anymore .
Old 02-05-2022, 08:20 PM

According to the most recent Fall Index Netting for Lesser Slave, the west basin is in worse shape than the east, which makes no sense to me.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:10 PM

Bump... Any recent ice reports on slave? Hoping to do the 4 hours each way with some confidence I won't die and also maybe lose my truck.

A fishing report would also be ginchy (good).

Hot spots and specific instructions would also be accepted.😉
Old 02-14-2022, 09:34 PM

She's bare with good access.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 PM

20" at Jousarrd. No snow.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2022, 12:25 PM

20” of ice at canyon creek, fishing was beyond slow but the weather was really nice. Spent 4 days on the ice, can’t complain
Old 02-18-2022, 12:27 PM

I was out the 16-17 of feb. ice was solid no snow but had to cross a pressure ridge seen open water as I drove over! A little risky was following another guys tracks in the light snow. Had to find another way off wasn’t comfortable jumping it again. On the fishing side burb and walleye were slamming jig and minnows total in just under 24 hours 15 walleye 12 burb with my biggest walleye 23 inch.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:21 AM

I'm heading to the lake in a couple days. Did the joussard end get any snow? Wondering if bringing the sled for a joy ride is worth it.