Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Two tags, one license

Put in for antlerless mule deer in 136 and was drawn. I got this license last year and it came with one tag.

This year when I went and bought the license they gave me two tags. I find this unusual. is this something anyone has seen before or should I call fish and game to clarify?
Old 10-21-2021, 04:54 PM

That’s a fairly normal thing for a lot of zones, be prepared to see your mule deer population take a kick to the teeth. They’re looking to reduce the population almost across southern Alberta by a significant amount.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 PM

Yup in 200 and 202 they did that last year already. They wouldn't even let me buy just one I had to get both.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Yup in 200 and 202 they did that last year already. They wouldn't even let me buy just one I had to get both.
At least it doesn’t cost more to get 2 tags, you also don’t have to shoot both
Old 10-22-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
That’s a fairly normal thing for a lot of zones, be prepared to see your mule deer population take a kick to the teeth. They’re looking to reduce the population almost across southern Alberta by a significant amount.
Huh, I'm guessing it has something to do with curbing/slowing CWD? Odd that there isn't mandatory submission this year. Last year it was mandatory for my muley in that zone. I'll submit my heads anyways if it helps produce better data for the provincial biologists.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
Huh, I'm guessing it has something to do with curbing/slowing CWD? Odd that there isn't mandatory submission this year. Last year it was mandatory for my muley in that zone. I'll submit my heads anyways if it helps produce better data for the provincial biologists.
Yeah it’s part of their cwd program, I guess the bios plan of a dead deer won’t get cwd is in full force. My guess is the reason it isn’t mandatory everywhere in the cwd zone is they already know it’s in certain wmu’s they want to make it mandatory where they want to see how far it’s spread as well as test a few more established wmu’s to see how bad it is. That being said I submit my heads every year.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:06 PM

Let the slaughter begin The Mule deer will suffer big time after this years cull.

As far as I am aware the removal of deer through culling hasn't stopped the spread of CWD.

It may be the beginning of the end of our once vibrant herds of Mule deer,either through CWD killing them, or reduction through taking out the does.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:22 PM

Double tags on does was common in 108. There were a few years during which three tags were given on a draw.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:50 AM

Default Two tags

I was drawn for antlerless mule deer special in zone 158. I also got the two tags when I bought it. I noticed that it is for the first year in a while not mandatory to submit the heads in this zone. I have never had a positive test on my previous submissions. I will still submit the head for testing. Given the opportunity I have not decided if I will take two does or just one. Be safe and
have fun out there.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:01 AM

So is there a list of what zones come with 2 tags? I can only find supplemental whitetails only having 2 tags. I was drawn for antlerless mule deer in the 200's and am wondering if I should have gotten 2 tags. Not that I plan on filling the second anyways, just curious.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-29-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
So is there a list of what zones come with 2 tags? I can only find supplemental whitetails only having 2 tags. I was drawn for antlerless mule deer in the 200's and am wondering if I should have gotten 2 tags. Not that I plan on filling the second anyways, just curious.
I only got one for 203 as well,think it’s just the 100’s that got two tags.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:33 PM

this topic was discussed a few months ago in this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=401743
Old 10-30-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Hubby got 2 tags in 250. I got one in 508. We called F&G they said it was an extra lottery in select zones for 2 tags. Not everyone got 2. Didn't provide a list of which zones.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Let the slaughter begin The Mule deer will suffer big time after this years cull.

As far as I am aware the removal of deer through culling hasn't stopped the spread of CWD.

It may be the beginning of the end of our once vibrant herds of Mule deer,either through CWD killing them, or reduction through taking out the does.

100% agree. Sad state of affairs.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:50 AM

I would ask all hunters with 2 doe tags to consider only using one of them.If you want a future quality hunt for bucks, it may be the only way of preventing the demise of the population in the 100 zones.

Ask yourself what is more important,50lbs of venison or the culling of another doe.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I would ask all hunters with 2 doe tags to consider only using one of them.If you want a future quality hunt for bucks, it may be the only way of preventing the demise of the population in the 100 zones.

Ask yourself what is more important,50lbs of venison or the culling of another doe.
I think if hunters don’t take them they’ll pull out the guns and slaughter them in the new year anyway. CWD is a problem without an answer.
Even worse is they’re talking about hunt farms again…unbelievable.

Tags
draw, hunting, two tags