Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Enough friggen snow!!!! What heated shelter for a solo hunter

Disclaimer: angry 3blade ahead

This has been by far the worst year I've ever experienced. I've hit EVERY SINGLE BAD WEATHER EVENT WEVE HAD! In 4 weeks off, I've managed 10 days of hunting total. Cannot get three decent days in a row. Weeks of rain and 3 foot snow drifts in sept?!?! Multiple wind storms in oct?!?!? And next week, because I'm off...yep here ya go 4 days of snow. Anyway...

Despite good quality gear, I don't have a heated shelter to dry out/warm up/sleep in so Ive ended up soaked, near hypothermic and headed for home. Guess sleeping in the truck isn't going to cut it anymore. What's the best solution for a solo hunter here in AB? I'm considering the kifaru sawtooth, Arctic oven, or a smaller traditional wall tent. Obviously there's some big differences there. It needs to be dry, warm, comfortable for multiple days and solo compatible, so I'm open to suggestions as to what fits. Absolutely zero experience with any stove compatible tent system, and a lot of online stuff comes from the western states where they don't have the cold and wet we get.

A big concern when investing this kind of cash is what are the chances that it grows legs if I'm away hunting for the day? Everyone seems to setup camp with multiple people coming and going, and that's not my situation.

Or is it just a waste of time and money to even be out in the wet stuff. Never seen much when I have sat through it, so maybe it's just a stupid idea.

Suggestions and experiences welcome, or anyone who just wants a place to curse the sky. Stupid weather.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM

I have no suggestions but want to thank you for taking some of my luck with the weather.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:14 PM

8 man ice fishing tent. Take it in and have hole cut for chimney for wood stove. Truck Camper should be able to pick one up for cheap this time of year
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 PM

If you go deep in the bush with a quad a small outfitters tent with a smaller wood stove might work well for you. I would suggest 10X12 min with 5 foot walls. Yes these do sometimes walk away. Mine did once & it hurt bad. If you have the money to go to something like the arctic tent so much the better but then someone might want it more than you.

If you sleep in your truck what may work better for you is a small cargo trailer, preferably insulated and again with a wood stove. Going this way gives you a bit of security & it's harder although not impossible for someone to walk away with.

There is no perfect answer and there are always trade offs. One thing about an outfitters tent with a wood stove and or a cargo trailer with a wood stove is that staying warm & drying out quick are top notch.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

I love those terrible snowy rainy days taken my biggest deer on them I tough it out lol usually end up sick as hell first week of December but still worth it
Old 10-27-2017, 09:25 PM

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Originally I had a pretty good little nylon hiking tent that I used to motorcycle across the continent with. Still have it. Drying out the sleeping bag got to be a bit of a pain, but setup was quick and storage was tiny.

Then I got a new truck and a custom nylon tent made for the box as a cheap option. That was better, off the ground and all, but it still got wet, it was noisy, and I had to pull everything out of the box to sleep. And forget about standing up in it or keeping Mr. Bear out.

Then for unrelated reasons I had to get a little long-distance haul trailer. So I made a combination travel and utility trailer for cold weather. That was the best decision ever. (Most people now would just get a utility trailer and carve it up a bit, but I had less money back then.)

For hunting, or any outdoor activity, in cold windy snowy or wet weather, nothing beats a solid well-insulated wood-heated trailer. I've used that thing at -45 C, had a bear rocking it back and forth at 2 am, driven though near gale-force winds, slept and read a book through 2 days of heavy driven rain. It was always warm, dry, very quiet, and stable. Highly recommended.

Note this was NOT a commercial camper, and NOT a so-called 'tiny house' but something I built which was much heavier, thicker, solid than commercial yet less expensive that an equivalent length travel trailer. If I did it again, it would be slightly larger and better equipped. Either based on a v-nose 20' tandem 3500# axle unit with rear ramp door and mandoor, or built up from an over-wheels 8x20' -> 24' flat deck w/ fir boards & 4 electric brakes, 7000# axles, and 2 5/16 hitch up at bumper height. Residential steel roof straked front to back, maybe filon sides.

Last edited by Arty; 10-27-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 PM

I have a 10 ft Atuk Kanguk with a Kni-co Trekker stove and absolutely love it!!! Canadian made.
http://www.atuktents.com/en_kanguk.php
I bought it for canoeing and winter camping. Makes a great solo tent or comfortably sleeps three people. Took it on a 5 day canoe hunting trip last fall with two other guys. I got it with the lightweight walls and canvas roof. The stove is a lifesaver when conditions get ugly and is also used to cook meals on. It's small enough to easily pack into a 60 litre barrel along with a floor tarp, air mattress and down bag. The tapered stove pipe all fits inside the stove for packing and I have a small 10'x10'x19' box it fits in. I've owned larger wall tents that are great for living in all summer or for extended hunting trips but this is my favourite quick and easy all season shelter.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Banned

Arrow

Give one of these a look.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140122
Old 10-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I love those terrible snowy rainy days taken my biggest deer on them I tough it out lol usually end up sick as hell first week of December but still worth it
But you live there When I had a good spot close to home I sat through it as well.

I've heard lots about big bucks in bad weather and found it to be only half true. I've seen a grand total of 1 deer in serious rain/snow. Granted, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen, and I never did see him again. But 99.99% of my deer sightings and kills have been on relatively calm, high pressure days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and keep em coming. I'm going to research the heck out of this. Might be too late to salvage this season but it won't happen again.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
But you live there When I had a good spot close to home I sat through it as well.

I've heard lots about big bucks in bad weather and found it to be only half true. I've seen a grand total of 1 deer in serious rain/snow. Granted, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen, and I never did see him again. But 99.99% of my deer sightings and kills have been on relatively calm, high pressure days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and keep em coming. I'm going to research the heck out of this. Might be too late to salvage this season but it won't happen again.
Why don't you just stay in a motel in a town close to where you are hunting? Off season rates are usually pretty good.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:01 AM

You can probably find an old trailer for cheaper than a tent/stove.

I bought a 17' 1977 travelaire holiday trailer for $900.
Used it for a few seasons.
So nice to be able to go back to camp and have a warm trailer waiting for you.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudder View Post
Why don't you just stay in a motel in a town close to where you are hunting? Off season rates are usually pretty good.
That's a good question. I tried the motel thing, once. Something about it didn't agree with me. I know that sounds foolish, but it's just not the same. Not the kind of experience I want. I like the solitude, the sounds and smells of the woods, disconnecting from civilization.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Wall tent.

You need a wall tent and wood stove IMO. I am off till Nov. 27th. And stoked to go this Tuesday for a week because it is going to snow.

I have camped in this tent in rain, snow to -35 and have always been comfortable. With the wood stove wet clothes are dry in under an hour and the rocks hold the heat while hunting or sleeping.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Wall tent and wood stove is the answer like dmcbride said.
Curious what size that tent is dmcbride? Looks small but handy for a hunter that doesn't get lonely. Lol
Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Wall tent and wood stove is the answer like dmcbride said.
Curious what size that tent is dmcbride? Looks small but handy for a hunter that doesn't get lonely. Lol
The tent is 8x10.

With my job and kids it is a much needed break.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The tent is 8x10.

With my job and kids it is a much needed break.

Looked smaller then that.

I tried going with me,my self and I once. Didn't work so well. Myself kept wanting to fight with me and I wouldn't help. Lol
Old 10-28-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Looked smaller then that.

I tried going with me,my self and I once. Didn't work so well. Myself kept wanting to fight with me and I wouldn't help. Lol
Just need to make sure me and I drink more and pass out before myself.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Lol. Sounds like a helluva plan but I gets terribly promiscuous when me drinks. Myself don't put up with that bs happens in camp. That's why the fight starts.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Wall tent is the way to go just heading to set mine up for the rifle opener in my area will be my home for a week. I love staying in the tent got it from my grandpa when he passed he sleep in it till he was 78 years old. I see lots of guys with little campers on the back of trailers looks like a good idea too. As for the snow I’m praying for snow makes hunting way better IMO.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Lol. Sounds like a helluva plan but I gets terribly promiscuous when me drinks. Myself don't put up with that bs happens in camp. That's why the fight starts.

Have to remember that...
Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Wall tent, alumininum poles, wood stove or kero heater chair and a bucket... be comfortable for days.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:18 PM

I've done the winter camping thing in wall tents (14x16 with wood stove), in a Seek Outside 8 Man tipi with stove, in a Kifaru Sawtooth with stove, and in a Hilleberg tunnel tent without stove.

No question, the stove is key for long term fun factor. For a solo use, and only a solo use, I would probably go with a Sawtooth, if price isn't an issue. If you're hiking somewhere in away from truck, definitely Sawtooth style, or something like a Seek Outside Cimmaron. If you're camping at the truck, then the options are endless. The small wall tent pictured above would probably be the ticket. You can chain saw everything, split it there, etc. Weight isn't an issue at that point. When backpacking in, everything counts. The Sawtooth can take snow loads, if that's what you're wondering. It's also pretty expensive and only good for 2 in winter gear situation. There are trade offs to everything. Not much beats a wall tent and big wood stove in the winter conditions for me, but it's also more work to setup than a smaller SilNylon tent like a Cimmaron, 8 Man tipi, Sawtooth, etc. Again, trade offs to everything.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Another vote for a sawtooth and stove. Great combo.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:08 PM

What kind of temperature is that sawtooth good for. I am trying to decide between a Seek Outdoor tipi and a Arctic Oven.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Default wall tent with internal frame, and BIG stove

Solo is tough, and lonely. Not so bad if you are at a trail head where others are so they can watch out for you if you don't get back at night. But set up and tear down is still tough.

As for WINTER conditions, get an insulated construction tarp and put it over the back 2/3 of the roof, away from the stove ring. It significantly increases the warmth of the wood stove as a heater in the tent.

Or, get a hunting partner, no matter how ornery, just not lazy. Hunting trips in the bush really are a lot of hard work and planning.

But when it comes to inclement weather, can't beat the dry heat and lots of room.

By the way, keep the water jugs in the tent near the stove. Froze a 5 gallon carrier solid, and it took 3 days to thaw.

Drewski
Old 10-29-2017, 03:00 PM

It’s good to whatever temp rating your sleep system is.
It won’t hold the heat once the stove goes out.
But you can dry your gear out and getting dressed and undressed in the warmth is awesome.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 AM

IMO it depends on the type of hunting you do.

If you are planning to make base camp off of a lease road (abandoned site, etc.) then I would 100% go for a trailer. If you're solitary, I would consider converting a cargo trailer, otherwise a travel trailer if you're in a group. Makes it easier to tell lies at the end of the day. Set up time is exponentially less than a wall tent.

Unless you have a 4 season trailer, you probably aren't using water in a trailer so toilet is typically a grunt pole in the bush regardless of trailer or tent.

Propane heat is nice but costs can add up...at least you don't have to get out of bed multiple times to stoke in the middle of the night. Wood stoves are nice but if you're by yourself, a constant chore. Cheaper if there is a good wood lot near your camp.

We used to wall tent and set up on sites accessible by lease roads. Never had an issue with anything walking away, but it was a constant concern. We would typically try to leave one truck at the site and stoke the fire before leaving to give the appearance of someone at site. Not so much an issue with a trailer, but a lock only keeps out an honest man anyways...so no matter what security is an issue.

I'd love to do another wall tent hunt but I would want to be at a camp inaccessible by road, requiring a quad or long walk in.

Long story short we moved from wall tenting to trailering...life seems to be busy and hunting time available is less than desirable these days. When I'm hunting I want to be able to spend as much time hunting and as little time tending to camp chores as possible. Costs a bit more to hunt this way but works for me right now.

No recommendation for you just pros and cons from my experiences.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:04 PM

Agree with the small trailer/wood stove (with Co. monitor) idea. That is in my plans within the next five years.

I also really like the Seek Outside hot tent solutions - not sure if I can make good use for one of those to warrant the purchase, though.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Airdrie Canvas Wall Tent / Hunting Tent

Airdrie Canvas is your local ALBERTA wall tent retailer with many sizes to choose from. All Wall tents are custom built so you can choose where to put your windows and stove jack. We are not an "off the shelf" retailer.

Visit www.airdriecanvas.ca for pricing and options, or for more info call us at 403-945-0732
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-traile...tent/576572945

Looks really well built, local company so shipping it across the border/country isn't required for warranty/service, and they're totally custom.

If I ever buy a wall-tent, that's where I'm going...

Old 10-30-2017, 11:37 PM

Considering the natural place of external combustion solid fuel burning in winter campsites, the next step should probably be implementation of steam-powered electrical power and waste heat reuse for domestic water.

A vertical boiler built into the side or corner of a trailer would be optimal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OmZU3dZpA

Maybe the radial version for a smoother approach to powering a 3-phase alternator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSw2Pydu6WA

Or some sort of conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxv6uT6AGxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPwXNYfoAs

Last edited by Arty; 10-30-2017 at 11:51 PM.