Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 PM

I once bought a box of 30-06, the 16 year old asked for my "hunting licence". Now i did hand him my PAL, but it would have been funny if i handed him what he asked for.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:22 AM

CT in Sylvan Lake has no firearms left, and their hunting and ammo selection is the dumps now. I don't believe Red Deer stores have much selection either,
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 AM

Ah Ha, like I say, I asked if it was an Ontario thing. Doesn't surprise me. I was thinking it pretty much had to be a provincial reg of some kind. I was reasonably sure it wasn't federal. Thanks Dick!!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:22 PM

This issue was brought up in the CSSA AGM seminars vids, Ontario has a provincial law requiring the stores to record the PAL, name and address, etc.
Apparently the CFO there, says PAL nbr is good enough. But, there is a grey area concerning privacy act violations as to having a book on the counter and people being able to see it while signing it, and security cameras possibly being able to capture images of the book.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
I can't wait to have an 18 year old selling me ammo and trying to confirm my PAL.

Does it make you feel warm and fuzzy knowing while you may think there is no law on the current legal books about recording ammo sales the store policy will trump your hurt feelings when being asked?

This is a policy that has been going on in BC for years off and on.

I was asked in north Vancouver onetime and I informed the guy they just lost a sale and suggested he ask the store review the policy when he was in the team meeting the next morning.

No sweat off my nutz not buying ammo from Crappy Tire then nor now.

Sucks a large retailer closed their doors last fall cause they generally had what was needed and no silly games of having to provide unnecessary items to buy a product.

Rob
Old 04-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Picked up four bricks of 22 a few weeks ago, young man asked me for my pal, no problems, our store is freaking loaded with a one stop shopping for all your hunting/fishing needs

The part I thought was odd is he took it to customer service, I walked around window shopping etc 1/2 hr later I asked the girl to bring the ammo over to the self checkout...she never asked for my PAL oh well eh
I've had the exact same experience buying a rifle at Canadian Tire, no PAL requested at checkout.
I do suffer from an irrational annoyance at being asked to produce my PAL, even though I don't have a problem with licensing gun owners in principle...
Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM

My CT asks to PAL while buying ammo. The cashier asks again. No prob.
Too bad they got out of the SKS business.