Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Cdn Tire recording ammo sales?

Fella started a thread where he says, and another person confirmed it, Jun1st, Cdn Tire may be starting to record info and calling in for PAL verification on in store ammo sales. Supposedly an national chain wide policy. A policy in how to turn off customers? Mail order, I can see reasoning for it, in store?
Keep an eye on that one.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM

I can't wait to have an 18 year old selling me ammo and trying to confirm my PAL.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Last time I bought I think the guy was 14 years old

Old 04-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Last ammo I bought at CT in Cochrane the kid got all confused and did not even ask for my PAL.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Airdrie

I was in the Airdrie Canadian Tire on the weekend, almost no guns left. The clerk told me that the corporate head office is making it very uncomfortable for stores to continue selling firearms and related equipment. They will be stopping sales in the near future.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 PM

If it makes you feel better Walmart in the US is now requiring all firearm purchasers to be 21 or older despite federal law of 18.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I was in the Airdrie Canadian Tire on the weekend, almost no guns left. The clerk told me that the corporate head office is making it very uncomfortable for stores to continue selling firearms and related equipment. They will be stopping sales in the near future.
I don't think the clerk knows as much as he was saying .
We have a dedicated outdoors store in Fort McMurray Andy he firearms section is doing great business!
They have a tremendous reloading section with everything from budhings and collets to brass like 338 Lapua to .204 Ruger as well as lots of guns on the rack .
I don't see it going away any time soon......
Cat
Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 PM

The CT store in Vegreville are getting rid of all their guns. Only 4 Savages' left two days ago. Big sale 20% off. They are continuing ammo sales and various hunting / shooting supplies but no more firearms.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Picked up four bricks of 22 a few weeks ago, young man asked me for my pal, no problems, our store is freaking loaded with a one stop shopping for all your hunting/fishing needs

The part I thought was odd is he took it to customer service, I walked around window shopping etc 1/2 hr later I asked the girl to bring the ammo over to the self checkout...she never asked for my PAL oh well eh

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We have a dedicated outdoors store in Fort McMurray Andy he firearms section is doing great business!
They have a tremendous reloading section with everything from budhings and collets to brass like 338 Lapua to .204 Ruger as well as lots of guns on the rack .
Cat
Glad to hear you have a store that carries shooting supplies again. I normally avoid Canadian Tire for firearms and ammunition, but when a store makes that kind of commitment, they deserve local support. My local Canadian Tire has virtually nothing, but the Wetaskiwin Canadian Tire has the best selection of Clays shotguns in Alberta, if no all of Western Canada.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
If it makes you feel better Walmart in the US is now requiring all firearm purchasers to be 21 or older despite federal law of 18.
Isn't there ageism lawsuits being filed over this?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Isn't there ageism lawsuits being filed over this?
A soldier can use automatic firearms in his daily duties, but Wal-Mart won't sell him a firearm or ammunition if he is under 21, total stupidity.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A soldier can use automatic firearms in his daily duties, but Wal-Mart won't sell him a firearm or ammunition if he is under 21, total stupidity.
Tangent - that's something that I've scratched my head bloody over a few times: at 18 a US citizen can legally die for their country, but in most states they can't buy a beer.

At least a couple of Canadian Tire stores in calgary have been expanding their firearms departments - McLeod and Shawnassy.

And if the pimply kid behind the counter forgets to ask for your PAL gently remind them.

Colin
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
maybe just the airdrie store, but ive seen pictures of other CT's across the country renovating and installing huge gun racks and shelving for ammo.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
A couple of my customers are Canadian Tire franchise owners in Edmonton. They've said no such thing and are in fact expanding their firearms line. The new Canadian Tire at Manning Crossing, in the same neighborhood as Cabela's has a firearms section that rival Cabela's...and this store is brand new.
The owners have both stated that once you have a franchise, unless you completely mismanage the store or do something illegal you have a lot of leeway.
Pretty sure your Airdrie 'head office' is the franchise owner at that location.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Big, beautiful new gun counter and outdoors section at the Swift Current CTC. It's almost like a whole other store. Good selection of guns and fishing supplies, haven't bought any ammo etc there yet.

In the last couple years Moose Jaw CTC also has started a gun section, at first it was mostly SKS's and Mosins and other old surplus stuff. Now they seem to have a decent little selection with Savage, Ruger, Browning's etc. I've bought lots of ammo there too.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM

CT in Lloyd has a good selection of firearms and ammunition a few reloading supplies although prices are higher than other local shops.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM

I was in CT Lloyd just now there's two bags of Winchester 303 brit brass on clearance for $50 bag not a great price but if anybody's looking.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Glad Cdn tire is getting into reloading stuff. Hopefully they will put in a decent selection of stuff. The other stores around Calgary don't seem to be willing to do it, although it may be a bit early to judge that for sure. I don't see much in the way of making room or adding shelf space yet though.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Your first problem was taking the word of a minimum wage chain store retail clerk at face value. Were that the case then why have so many Cdn Tire stores been expanding their firearm sections? You should see the size of the CT firearms counter in their South Edmonton Common location.

One store in Calgary just recently started stocking reloading supplies, and another in town already has been for a short while already.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:22 PM

Same as the Leduc store tons of guns

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 PM

Cold Lake CT shows no signs of slowing down either. Pretty good selection of everything here.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM

DV CT just re did their whole hunting and shooting section.

The gun racks are full, as is the ammo cabinet.

The new Manager says they wanna expand the guns and hunting a bit more.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Glad to hear you have a store that carries shooting supplies again. I normally avoid Canadian Tire for firearms and ammunition, but when a store makes that kind of commitment, they deserve local support. My local Canadian Tire has virtually nothing, but the Wetaskiwin Canadian Tire has the best selection of Clays shotguns in Alberta, if no all of Western Canada.
That’s quite the store up there, completely different than any other CT store Ive been in
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Didn’t have to sign for anything!

Had to go grab some WW fluid, so I went over and bought some slugs and buckshot loads.

1. Can I see your PAL.
2. Go pick up the ammo at the till.
3. Pay.
4. Walk out.

No signing for nothing!

There are no absolutes
Old 04-18-2018, 02:47 AM

Supposed to be Jun 1st. Could also just be an Ontario thing. That was where the story originates. I asked, but nobody said anything, about knowing of there being any kind of weird policy from the gov't side, some weird CFO edict or anything like that.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Supposed to be Jun 1st. Could also just be an Ontario thing. That was where the story originates. I asked, but nobody said anything, about knowing of there being any kind of weird policy from the gov't side, some weird CFO edict or anything like that.
Ontariable has had the requirement to sign for ammo for a long time.
It’s a provincial requirement

There are no absolutes
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
I hope your right Cat. This wasn't some 16 year old part timer that told me this.

The new Cochrane store also has a large hunting & reloading section, but I have noticed alot of empty sections there too.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM

I was in the Tire store on Southland Drive in Calgary. They have a fair gun section for quite a few years. The guy at the counter told me that they are taking stock from Tire stores that are getting out of guns. He said that many stores started selling guns thinking there would be good money, but many stores did not have the staff to make sales work well.

The store in High River has some stuff but there is always a wait while the gun person is paged. The few times I have bough ammo, they did not record anything.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
I can't wait to have an 18 year old selling me ammo and trying to confirm my PAL.

Maybe you should confirm that the 18 year old has a PAL?