Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Be safe out there.

Gun safety is paramount.

https://youtu.be/FKSlm0D1uOk
Old 04-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Loaded gun

As I read how many admit to carrying a loaded on safety gun, it takes it to a different level when I remember getting scoped.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Fake video. But yah it happens. My brother was hunting with 3 other friends when one of them was shot in the legs by another friend who tripped crossing some railroad tracks and his single shot 12ga shotgun which he swore wasn't cocked discharged, probably wasn't cocked because the guy was a pretty commonsense guy, but somehow the hammer got cocked or pulled back far enough and released sometime between when he started to fall and when the gun fired. The guy who got hit was about 30 yds away, hit in the legs with #6 birdshot. Fortunately he was able to walk out with about 40 pieces of shot in his lower legs.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
As I read how many admit to carrying a loaded on safety gun, it takes it to a different level when I remember getting scoped.
When I see all the people admitting to racking rounds in the heat of the moment with cold hands it sends a shiver up my spine. Considering that some rifles need the safety off (and many others that admit to never using one) to cycle the action. Add to that the possibility of poor muzzle control when trying to get loaded up with an animal possibly escaping and it is down right scary.

I know, buck fever is a myth, young hunters never get that and having to fumble around loading a gun just makes things more challenging. Especially when one considers how many "accidents" we hear about while loading and unloading.

Elkhunter11 makes a prime example above when a hunter in his party had an accidental discharge when loading a rifle to fire at an antelope. Excited maybe, cold hands maybe, multi tasking??? I have read enough of his posts to know that he wouldn't hunt with someone he considered unsafe. Muzzle control saved the day but that is a weak excuse for an incident. He might well of injured himself from the unexpected recoil alone. So this experienced and presumed safe hunter has an incident while loading a rifle but we should be teaching young and inexperienced hunters that this is the way it should be done.

And when considering slip and fall type incidents, would one rather fall with a break action shotgun in the open position with shells in the pipe or one locked up solid with the safety on? It would almost be inevitable to take a tumble and still keep the gun open and if it did slam shut it would be hot without safety considering the mechanics of a lot of break open shotguns.

There is obviously two sides to this argument. People that scope you are idiots, be it loaded or presumed empty. I was taught, along with the majority of others, that all guns are to be handled as if loaded and not to point them at anything I wasn't going to shoot. Your attempts at making legitimate, safe and legal outdoorsmen look stupid is not going improve the gun handling practices of idiots.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Not a fake video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Fake video. But yah it happens. My brother was hunting with 3 other friends when one of them was shot in the legs by another friend who tripped crossing some railroad tracks and his single shot 12ga shotgun which he swore wasn't cocked discharged, probably wasn't cocked because the guy was a pretty commonsense guy, but somehow the hammer got cocked or pulled back far enough and released sometime between when he started to fall and when the gun fired. The guy who got hit was about 30 yds away, hit in the legs with #6 birdshot. Fortunately he was able to walk out with about 40 pieces of shot in his lower legs.
It’s a very well done hunter safety educational video. That shows how an negligent discharge could change your life and others. Yes it was all acted out but done very well and has happened in real life.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
When I see all the people admitting to racking rounds in the heat of the moment with cold hands it sends a shiver up my spine. Considering that some rifles need the safety off (and many others that admit to never using one) to cycle the action. Add to that the possibility of poor muzzle control when trying to get loaded up with an animal possibly escaping and it is down right scary.

I know, buck fever is a myth, young hunters never get that and having to fumble around loading a gun just makes things more challenging. Especially when one considers how many "accidents" we hear about while loading and unloading.

Elkhunter11 makes a prime example above when a hunter in his party had an accidental discharge when loading a rifle to fire at an antelope. Excited maybe, cold hands maybe, multi tasking??? I have read enough of his posts to know that he wouldn't hunt with someone he considered unsafe. Muzzle control saved the day but that is a weak excuse for an incident. He might well of injured himself from the unexpected recoil alone. So this experienced and presumed safe hunter has an incident while loading a rifle but we should be teaching young and inexperienced hunters that this is the way it should be done.

And when considering slip and fall type incidents, would one rather fall with a break action shotgun in the open position with shells in the pipe or one locked up solid with the safety on? It would almost be inevitable to take a tumble and still keep the gun open and if it did slam shut it would be hot without safety considering the mechanics of a lot of break open shotguns.

There is obviously two sides to this argument. People that scope you are idiots, be it loaded or presumed empty. I was taught, along with the majority of others, that all guns are to be handled as if loaded and not to point them at anything I wasn't going to shoot. Your attempts at making legitimate, safe and legal outdoorsmen look stupid is not going improve the gun handling practices of idiots.
Actually the odds of falling with a shotgun broken over the shoulder , and the shotshells not falling out of the chambers, and the action fully closing, and the trigger being struck are extremely remote, compared to the odds of falling with a closed chamber and the tang safety on the same gun being moved, and the trigger being struck. . I actually don't like tang safeties because if you trip, your hand can easily slide forward and move the safety to the fire position. As for my own SxS hunting shotguns, they have auto safeties that engage automatically when the action is closed. As such, the odds of everything happening that needs to happen in order to accidentally discharge one of my upland shotguns in a fall are pretty much non existent. I have seen people slip or trip, when carrying shotguns broken over the shoulder, and usually both shotshells fall out of the chambers, and the action does not close.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually the odds of falling with a shotgun broken over the shoulder , and the shotshells not falling out of the chambers, and the action fully closing, and the trigger being struck are extremely remote, compared to the odds of falling with a closed chamber and the tang safety on the same gun being moved, and the trigger being struck. . I actually don't like tang safeties because if you trip, your hand can easily slide forward and move the safety to the fire position. As for my own SxS hunting shotguns, they have auto safeties that engage automatically when the action is closed. As such, the odds of everything happening that needs to happen in order to accidentally discharge one of my upland shotguns in a fall are pretty much non existent. I have seen people slip or trip, when carrying shotguns broken over the shoulder, and usually both shotshells fall out of the chambers, and the action does not close.
When you strip a shotgun the internal hammers are cocked and resting precariously on the mechanics of the trigger release. Many older sxs shotguns could be fired without touching the triggers or safety. This is especially true of poorly maintained guns. The only accidental discharge I have seen was on closing break action shotgun, auto safety no fingers on the trigger.

We had a FEG Monte Carlo that fired on closing. It was dragged through the salt and mud like a rented mule but it is a similar design to most European trigger groups and hammer assemblies.

I doubt very much that your well maintained guns will ever cause an issue. I don't imagine you will get excited and slam shut your shotguns or loose control of the muzzle, BUT for many novice hunters that are very excited when a bird flushes or takes an unexpected fall the results could be very different.

Do you think the accidental discharge you described earlier would have happened if the hunter had been walking with loaded gun rather than trying to load a gun in those circumstances?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
When you strip a shotgun the internal hammers are cocked and resting precariously on the mechanics of the trigger release. Many older sxs shotguns could be fired without touching the triggers or safety. This is especially true of poorly maintained guns. The only accidental discharge I have seen was on closing break action shotgun, auto safety no fingers on the trigger.

We had a FEG Monte Carlo that fired on closing. It was dragged through the salt and mud like a rented mule but it is a similar design to most European trigger groups and hammer assemblies.

I doubt very much that your well maintained guns will ever cause an issue. I don't imagine you will get excited and slam shut your shotguns or loose control of the muzzle, BUT for many novice hunters that are very excited when a bird flushes or takes an unexpected fall the results could be very different.

Do you think the accidental discharge you described earlier would have happened if the hunter had been walking with loaded gun rather than trying to load a gun in those circumstances?
Freak that is scary, never thought about the internal hammers, walking with shots hells in, close it hard and the potential to go off, see lots of hunters walking with older shotguns draped over there forearms, wow just be careful and remember some of the advice here.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Freak that is scary, never thought about the internal hammers, walking with shots hells in, close it hard and the potential to go off, see lots of hunters walking with older shotguns draped over there forearms, wow just be careful and remember some of the advice here.
I duck hunted with a guy that had a very old 12 sxs. You had to close it carefully or it would fire both barrels. It would fire the right barrel when you released the safety and the left when you pulled the back trigger. We shot a ton of Black Ducks and no one got shot, but that was a much different time. I had one old Cooey that the hammer wouldn't stay back on, so you pointed and let go the hammer in one fowl swoop. Another buddy had one that would open when the gun fired. He had a tin can slid over the break so it wouldn't open and kick the empty in his face.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:

You completely avoided the fact that when a shotgun falls from shoulder height, the shotshells usually fall out either in the air or when the gun strikes the ground. You also avoided the fact that simply dropping an open shotgun from shoulder height is not at all likely to result in the action being fully closed.

As for depending on a safety, safeties have been known to fail, especially when the trigger has been adjusted by someone with no clue, or when the owner has lubed the trigger mechanism, resulting in it becoming gummed up. Anything that can happen when loading/closing a firearm when game is seen, can happen when the firearm is loaded/closed beforehand.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I duck hunted with a guy that had a very old 12 sxs. You had to close it carefully or it would fire both barrels. It would fire the right barrel when you released the safety and the left when you pulled the back trigger. We shot a ton of Black Ducks and no one got shot, but that was a much different time. I had one old Cooey that the hammer wouldn't stay back on, so you pointed and let go the hammer in one fowl swoop. Another buddy had one that would open when the gun fired. He had a tin can slid over the break so it wouldn't open and kick the empty in his face.
Those are not firearms issues, those are shooter issues. I wouldn't hunt with anyone that would use any of those firearms, knowing that those issues exist.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You completely avoided the fact that when a shotgun falls from shoulder height, the shotshells usually fall out either in the air or when the gun strikes the ground. You also avoided the fact that simply dropping an open shotgun from shoulder height is not at all likely to result in the action being fully closed.

As for depending on a safety, safeties have been known to fail, especially when the trigger has been adjusted by someone with no clue, or when the owner has lubed the trigger mechanism, resulting in it becoming gummed up. Anything that can happen when loading/closing a firearm when game is seen, can happen when the firearm is loaded/closed beforehand.
Agreed, and I have no experience with dropping a shotgun from shoulder height so I have nothing more to add to that. If the shells fall out or the action doesn't close, that is awesome. Have you tested this theory?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Were you ever comfortable or OK being scoped? There should only be one level when that happens.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Those are not firearms issues, those are shooter issues. I wouldn't hunt with anyone that would use any of those firearms, knowing that those issues exist.
Yeah, that was off topic, a complete derail, my apologies.

Those are firearm issues that can and do still happen. People hunt with vintage, often worn out guns AND many are poorly maintained. I bought, sold and fixed enough to know.

As far as hunting with someone. Most of my buddies were hunting for food. It was a different time, in a different place. You hunted with what you had, or you didn't hunt at all and went hungry. Not one hunting accident that I have ever heard of among them. We worked on the ocean where a slip and fall was gone and drown, safety equipment was nonexistent and you watched each other's back. It is incredible how fragile life has become all of a sudden.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Loaded and safety on if I am walking or sitting and watching by myself. Unloaded if I am with someone and I make sure they are too.
2x
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed, and I have no experience with dropping a shotgun from shoulder height so I have nothing more to add to that. If the shells fall out or the action doesn't close, that is awesome. Have you tested this theory?
I have seen people have minor slips and trips when carrying a shotgun broken over their shoulder, and I have had one or two minor slips as well. The gun never even struck the ground, in any of those instances but the shotshells fell out of the chambers most of the time, and the action never closed once. The one accidental discharge that I have seen with a break action gun, was when the gun that was closed slipped from the shooters hands, and the shooter tried to grab it, firing the gun.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I absolutely disagree. I always have a round in the chamber and the safety on from the moment I depart my vehicle to the moment I return to it. To each their own but in my opinion doing otherwise has nothing to do with safety and more to do with the user being unsure of themselves and a lack of confidence in their personal weapons handling. I can't imagine sitting while coyote calling and waiting until I have a dog come in on high alert to make the unnecessary movement and noise making that cycling the bolt would create, worse yet if it was a big deer. Chances are you would lose the opportunity.
How many recalls on safeties over the years? It's not only about not trusting yourself, it's the equipment also. To each their own but you're entering a numbers game when walkings around with one in the pipe imo.

There is scenerios where I"ll chamber one, coming over a hill, around a corner, tight bush etc. At that point I'm in front and as mentioned over and over muzzle control.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Except when you think there isn't and there is! Happens all the time. "i thought the gun was empty", not uncommon to hear in an accidental shooting
If I"m being completely honest that has happened to me. Scared the crap out of me and since that day I"m super anal about checking and re checking and re checking the chamber.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that those are comfortable carrying a loaded chamber are somehow likely to scope someone?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
How many recalls on safeties over the years? It's not only about not trusting yourself, it's the equipment also. To each their own but you're entering a numbers game when walkings around with one in the pipe imo.

There is scenerios where I"ll chamber one, coming over a hill, around a corner, tight bush etc. At that point I'm in front and as mentioned over and over muzzle control.
Yeah OK, are you telling me that you are continually cycling your action repeatedly throughout your hunting day? I take it you eat tag soup every year. Not only do I always have a round in the chamber while hunting, I've spent quite literally thousands of hours over the course of my career carrying a readied weapon over all types of terrain, in all seasons, all types of weather by both day and night and I have never had a negligent discharge. On the contrary, the overwhelming majority of ND's occur when the user standing still, is cycling the action, loading or unloading due to poor trigger discipline and bad drills. To be honest the only ND's I have seen professionally over the last two decades were either inexperienced personnel clearing weapons at unloading bays. ND's happen due to bad drills, end of story.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM

I carry an auto loader for pheasants, always loaded with the safety on. My partner and I are always split up so no danger there. I used to carry my rifle with one in the pipe but with the trigger uncocked. I found out how unsafe that was on this board so I no longer do that. I don't hunt deer and when I hunt coyotes it is always from a stand so I have no reason to have a cartridge in my shouldered rifle so I don't. I set up on my stand load and put the safety on. When I move I remove the cartridge from the chamber, but keep the magazine full.

As an aside, about four years ago my partner and I were moving to a new stand with me in the front. We went to cross a creek and my feet went out from under me and I took a nasty fall. I ended up on the ice on my back with my slung rifle pointed at my partner. I often think about that incident and what could have happened had I been carrying a cartridge in the chamber. Even worse I wonder about the way I used to carry my rifle, with one in the tube and the firing pin resting on the primer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

So it appears some of us do not carry with one in the pipe , And some do , It has nothing to do with how experienced you are or how efficient safeties are etc etc. or how sure footed you are and you can fall from an airplane and still have the barrel pointed in a safe direction !
What it boils down to is this:
If you have NONE in the chamber you can assume you will never have an incident to talk about ! THAT right there suits me 100 percent !
The rest of us , no matter how safe we believe we are, can still have our day that we can regret ALL our lives ! What we do and how we do it is human nature , we are all different so safety must be practiced at all times !
Old 04-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah OK, are you telling me that you are continually cycling your action repeatedly throughout your hunting day? I take it you eat tag soup every year. Not only do I always have a round in the chamber while hunting, I've spent quite literally thousands of hours over the course of my career carrying a readied weapon over all types of terrain, in all seasons, all types of weather by both day and night and I have never had a negligent discharge. On the contrary, the overwhelming majority of ND's occur when the user standing still, is cycling the action, loading or unloading due to poor trigger discipline and bad drills. To be honest the only ND's I have seen professionally over the last two decades were either inexperienced personnel clearing weapons at unloading bays. ND's happen due to bad drills, end of story.
I am going to have to agree with this 100%
Old 04-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
So it appears some of us do not carry with one in the pipe , And some do , It has nothing to do with how experienced you are or how efficient safeties are etc etc. or how sure footed you are and you can fall from an airplane and still have the barrel pointed in a safe direction !
If you have NONE in the chamber you can assume you will never have an incident to talk about ! THAT right there suits me 100 percent !
The rest of us , no matter how safe we believe we are, can still have our day that we can regret ALL our lives ! What we do and how we do it is human nature , we are all different so safety must be practiced at all times !
+1. Safety at all times and above all else. It obviously viewed a little differently by different people. You actually have to have NONE in and not just think you have none in as can be seen in post #138. No procedure it completely fallible. Safety must be top of mind at all times.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
If you never put one in the chamber, you are not hunting. You are walking around with an empty gun.

There has been at least two incidents already mentioned in this thread where firearms were discharged during loading in the field.

So no, you can not assume you will never have an incident unless you leave the ammo at home. Considering that most injury incidents do not involve a firearm, there is still no guarantees out there.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 PM

I usually have a round in the chamber with the bolt unlocked. Just have to close blt and shoit
Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 AM

I don't know the exact details but two yrs ago in NW AB a brother & sister are walking out of the bush. Sister was behind the brother with a loaded gun. For whatever reason, tripped likely the gun went off & killed her brother in front of her. Not suggesting a blame game here but it happens & when it does it is catastrophic. Not suggesting what you should or should not do but a day like the above would be a life altering experience. I'm sure when they woke up that day nothing like this entered their minds. If you carry hot, be careful!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yup and many here have spent time on patrol etc but hey the critters I hunt don't shoot back or engage or ambush so as mentioned before place and time to have a round in the spout to safely enjoy hunting.
Now let's put things into perspective, soldier handles his/her weapon daily, weekly at least unless your a REMF, the average civilian wishing to hunt takes the rifle out (or should) prior to the season, cleans, inspects, sights it in or verifies point of impact, then the next O dark thirty season opener grabs thier thermos, growlies,tag, bullets and ol'faithful and off they go....potential to have an incident is greatly increased due to the lack of consistency, exposure to everything involved/surrounding the hunt so to minimize the potential to have an incident why risk drudging through the deer woods with your buddies all ready for an ambush...place and time to go hot...180 typical coming down to the field as you sit overlooking

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Banned

When I leave truck / camp, there is a round in the chamber.

A lot quieter to flick a safety off than cycle the action on my R1.

Two of the most useless things on earth - a dull knife and an empty gun.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Here is a test to try, take your unloaded new rifle,cock the action and thump the but plate on the floor to see if it will slam fire. I have two new remington rifles that would slam fire without ever firing a shot. I know most would not expect this or understand how it is possible but it can happen. When I carry a rifle with one in the spout I uncock the bolt when I close it, then when I am ready to shoot I lift the bolt strait up and down with no cycling or noise, very quick and very safe for everyone, don’t put all your trust into the hands of a unskilled under paid gun maker looking to make a buck.