Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-20-2024, 04:53 PM

Default Another Coyote Day

This morning it was beautiful compared to the last couple weeks, -18 and only 7 KM wind, my plan was to go to the gun show this morning but I decided to run out and do a couple sets for dogs first and hit the gun show after lunch.

Got to the spot about 9:45, I had been waiting for a SE wind and today that's what we had, there are 3 long rows of bales on the west end of the pasture, I set up against the bales and put the caller out about 60 yards, got everything ready and hit the caller, about 2 minutes of howls and challenges then hit the pup in distress call, 2 minutes and 3 dogs broke from the slough bottom about 400 yards away, 2 big ones and a pup. The 2 big dogs were just poking along but the pup came full bore. I wanted to get them all in closer but the pup wouldn't stop, at least until he took a 52gr hollow point from the 223 at 75 yards.

One dog down and the other 2 high tailed it back into the slough then showed up at 550 yards in the stubble field, I switched back to howls and yipping and they both just stayed there for 15 minutes, moved out a bit farther then started to come back but never closer than 500 yards, a bit of a stretch for the 223, OH how I wish I would have packed my 19 lb 6mm creedmoor in today, those 2 would have been toast.

They finally moved off over the hill and out of sight, I'll be back and packing the long range heat next time. I packed up and made another quick set on the way home, nothing, had a sandwich and hit the gun show for 3 hrs. My grandsons NOJHL game starts in 10 minutes so I got to get off my laptop and get the game hooked up, a win for them tonight and it would be a perfect day.

Another Yote Down.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:14 PM

Old 01-20-2024, 07:42 PM

Well done.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:03 PM

Good job Ed. Temps sure were a lot more civil. Thanks for the write up. Look forward to your next. These calmer winds are a wonderful opportunity to stretch a rifles legs for certain. My 6.5x47 is getting a cleaning currently as I’m thinking there might be some longer pokes in my future here too.

I had a rough day. I swear; I’d have had a hell of a struggle enticing a diesel burner off the wall at Cook County with a pack of condoms, 40 oz of Gin and a bag of Arby’s the way my day went. Was seeing coyotes out and about in between stands. I had 4 blank stands with not so much as a magpie. Finally pulled 3 in on my last and was lucky to kill one. I had two in shotgun range. Somehow I had got a round on the feed lip/ramp as well as one in the chamber. It wouldn’t fire when I popped up. They all scattered. Dropped the shotty in the snow and got on one with the rifle. Managed a nice running shot and knocked one down. Should have been an easy double.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2024, 04:25 AM

Good job buddy! Keep at 'em!
Old 01-21-2024, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Good job Ed. Temps sure were a lot more civil. Thanks for the write up. Look forward to your next. These calmer winds are a wonderful opportunity to stretch a rifles legs for certain. My 6.5x47 is getting a cleaning currently as I’m thinking there might be some longer pokes in my future here too.

I had a rough day. I swear; I’d have had a hell of a struggle enticing a diesel burner off the wall at Cook County with a pack of condoms, 40 oz of Gin and a bag of Arby’s the way my day went. Was seeing coyotes out and about in between stands. I had 4 blank stands with not so much as a magpie. Finally pulled 3 in on my last and was lucky to kill one. I had two in shotgun range. Somehow I had got a round on the feed lip/ramp as well as one in the chamber. It wouldn’t fire when I popped up. They all scattered. Dropped the shotty in the snow and got on one with the rifle. Managed a nice running shot and knocked one down. Should have been an easy double.

pic!!
Old 01-21-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

Yup that happens Lou, we've all had days like that, one day they are running over you and the next day you can't even get one to show himself, go figure, but we are persistent buggers and I can't think of a better way to fill the gap after the birds are gone and before the gophers come out so off we go to sit in the snow bank again.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.