Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Question Looking to start fly fishing

As the title states I want to get into fly fishing. Im very green to this aspect of fishing as my gear is for standard rods. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What type of rod is best for a new person?
Do they come with spools/lines? (if not what should I go with?)
What type of tackle should I be looking for?
How hard is it to start making your own?

Am I missing anything? LOL!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM

What species are you looking to target? Trout/goldeye or pike/walleye?
Once we know that it will be easier to suggest gear
Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
What species are you looking to target? Trout/goldeye or pike/walleye?
Once we know that it will be easier to suggest gear
Everything really. walleye and pike would be fun! I know of one lake that has trout and I've yet to catch one. So would I then need stronger rods for bigger fighters?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM

pieroway element 6wt 9ft. It comes with a fighting butt so if you happen to drop your setup it will help protect your reel.
It retails for $199 and is worth every penny. It casts tiny dries to double bunnys perfectly.
6wt would be a lighter rod for pike but on the heavier end for trout.
Line- I like Airflo the best and it retails for around $75
Reel-Hobbs creek is the best reel you can buy with $40 or look into an orvis mid arbor, dragonfly, trions or lamson all within the 100-150 range.

Pieroway Element 6wt 9ft - E906
Dragonfly Chilcotin 5/6 reel
Iv already landed a few species with it and just got it this season aswell-Browns and Rockies and im testing it out soon for bullies!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Thanks FishHunter. When you mention 6wt is this weight for the rod? What store would you recommend I go to for purchasing? I can drive to Edmonton. Does my height matter when choosing a rod?

Last edited by Lady Bowhunter; 03-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bowhunter View Post
Thanks FishHunter. When you mention 6wt is this weight for the rod? What store would you reccomend I go to for purchasing? I can drive to Edmonton. Does my hight matter when choosing a rod?
6 wt is a description of the rod - the higher the number the more strength in the rod. A 6 wt can do just about everything well but it is not specific. After you get into it more you can get rods that target certain conditions. The larger wt rods are not so much for the size of the fish (although that is a factor) but more so for the size of the flies you are going to be chucking around. It is hard to move a large bunny leach with a 3 wt rod. The 6 wt will work and you can even throw the tiny choronomids with it to.

9 foot rods are better as they act as the shock absorbers and when it comes to handling the larger fish you may want that (so you don't break your tippit or leader). I prefer the 9 or 9.5 foot rods in 6 wt. You would only need a shorter rod if you are doing a lot of stream fishing where you will be limited in your rod swing and backcast etc.

As for reels, there are two different thoughts. Some people feel that you need an expensive sofisticated reel to play the fish. Others, like myself, prefer to play the drag by "palming" the reel. Unless you will be salt water fishing or fishing for large lakers, I wouldn't worry too much about it - go with what the store manager tells you.

I would suggest the "Fishing Hole". I usually frequent the one in the West Ed Mall but they should all be good. The owners are all very knowledgable and helpful and will direct you the right way. I have never know them to try to stiff you on needs or price. If you tell them you want to stay under $300 they will set you up with the best you can get for that price.

Tight lines and let us know what yoiu ended up with.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Ladybowhunter,

There are some great DVD's and books out there for the novice fly fisher. Wholesale Sports or the Fishin' hole both have some very helpful folks in the fly fishing area.

If you are considering a course or a seminar I'd recommend Mike "Doc" Montieth.

www.albertastillwaters.com

I have met him a number of times ( he's a very nice guy) but have no affiliation to his company.

Have fun and good luck. Be warned; fly fishing is very addictive!

stan
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Thank you Pipco I have now been in touch with Mike, that seems to be the smartest route to take!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Thank you Pipco I have now been in touch with Mike, that seems to be the smartest route to take!
Keep a look out in the fishing section of the buy & sell here on AO, there are some good bargains from time to time.

re. the Hobbs Creek. I just bought one for my wife to go with a 6wt rod I am building her. It is a large arbor reel and great value at $40. The 6wt will be used primarily for trout. She has an 8wt she used for Atlantic Salmon, but will use that one now for pike.

If you are in Edmonton, check out Cabelas and WSS to see what they have in a six weight as a packaged outfit or if they can put an outfit together for you, depending on how much you want to spend.

It woould be good to get some instruction first, just so you know what you are looking for in a fly rod.

Costco has a couple of Amundson starter fly fishing outfits on their on-line store. Iam not sure if they have them in the Edmonton stores.
There is an entry level outfit for $159.99 no line weight stated) a 6wt outfit for $169.99 and another for outfit (no line weight) for $359.99 . I would be wary about buying these as you really won't get a chance to flex the rod to deternine the action.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Keep a look out in the fishing section of the buy & sell here on AO, there are some good bargains from time to time.

re. the Hobbs Creek. I just bought one for my wife to go with a 6wt rod I am building her. It is a large arbor reel and great value at $40. The 6wt will be used primarily for trout. She has an 8wt she used for Atlantic Salmon, but will use that one now for pike.

If you are in Edmonton, check out Cabelas and WSS to see what they have in a six weight as a packaged outfit or if they can put an outfit together for you, depending on how much you want to spend.

It woould be good to get some instruction first, just so you know what you are looking for in a fly rod.

Costco has a couple of Amundson starter fly fishing outfits on their on-line store. Iam not sure if they have them in the Edmonton stores.
There is an entry level outfit for $159.99 no line weight stated) a 6wt outfit for $169.99 and another for outfit (no line weight) for $359.99 . I would be wary about buying these as you really won't get a chance to flex the rod to deternine the action.
Thanks for the tips! I really don't know much about what I would be looking for so I wouldn't know what's a good deal! I am sincerely considering taking a course. I want to be properly shown all the ropes.
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I really don't know much about what I would be looking for so I wouldn't know what's a good deal! I am sincerely considering taking a course. I want to be properly shown all the ropes.
Thanks again for all the help!
If you ever get down towards Calgary, Lynda Mclennan runs a women's only fly fishing course to start you off on everything fly fishing. My wife took the class and found it extremely useful as it's done from a women's perspective. Jim and Lynda have been in the fly fishing industry for a long time and really know their stuff.