Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Default one man pontoon

so im goin to get a one man pontoon in the next month and im lookin at the fishcat streamer xl ir , its a 8 foot with moter mount and i was wondering if i should go 9 foot insted , is thier a big difference between 8ft and 9ft , i just thought the 8 foot would fit in my truck easy if i wanted to keep it inflated.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM

I have the 9 foot, my buddy has the 8 foot. 9 is a little more stable when its rough water, and probably better if u want to mount a motor. Also longer oars on the 9 foot. I just let a little air out if I am putting it in the truck box instead of the rack. Both great boats though.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Id definitely go with the 9, especially if you want to mount a motor

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM

kool thnx guys , i just got some checker plate today, im goin to make a hard battery mount and mabye a small platform to stand on if thiers room so ya probly go with the 9ft , thnx
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM

It all depends on where you are going with the pontoon boat and how much weight you need to support.

I started off with a 8' pontoon boat, it was fine, but being a big fellow I found it less responsive in the water (sits deeper) when I was floating the rivers. Went up to a 10' pontoon and it is great, I use it on small streams, big rivers and lake fishing.

I would go with atleast a 9' pontoon if you are of any size and want to pack some gear with you.

You will have a lot of fun regardless of size

Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puretuff View Post
kool thnx guys , i just got some checker plate today, im goin to make a hard battery mount and mabye a small platform to stand on if thiers room so ya probly go with the 9ft , thnx
If you do make all that stuff fire some step by step pictures up on here.

I am thinking about making a platform and motor mount out of some checker plating but need it to be able to detach quick and easy for transportation.

My back can't handle lifting a toon all at once so I made the one I have now detach into 3 piece for easy movement.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM

will do dude, might be a couple months tell i get to the building proses though, i hope my plans work out
Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 PM

I have been thinking about it and I think I might try to make one big platform for the whole boat that can be taken off when I am not using the boat on still water or am transporting the boat. I think the motor mount will also be attached to the left side of the back of the platform so the motor can be controlled with my non rod hand.

I am still not really sure what I will make the platform out of yet but am going to look into a few different materials to see which one is the lightest but strongest available.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM

You should look at the Dave Scadden pontoons.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 PM

I got into fly fishing las year and wound up buying a 9' colorado xt and I do like it. But the 55 lbs trust motor I both for it is too much. I would go for a 30 lbs trust instead. Either way I like the set up and a standing platform in front of the seat would be something to consider ??????
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM

I got 1/8 checker plate for it and thats goin to be lots for battery and gear and its light , but if i make a standing platform im goin goin to put 2 to 3 cross brases on it. I already own Kota 30 moter so i think its goin to be perfict for it. im getting exited now, enyone want to lone me some money for a month lol jk .
Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM

I am not sure why 55lb thrust would be too much? I had a 30lb on my last toon And found I was wanting more. I was planning on putting a minn Kota traxxis 55 on my new toon unless someone can explain why this wouldn't be a good idea.
Wayne
Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep View Post
I am not sure why 55lb thrust would be too much? I had a 30lb on my last toon And found I was wanting more. I was planning on putting a minn Kota traxxis 55 on my new toon unless someone can explain why this wouldn't be a good idea.
Wayne
Using the 55lb is a great idea! I have a 55lb on my scadden and the only issue I have is that I bought the higher end Minn Kota Vector 3X. I really don't like the steering. But, the digital is worth every penny!!