Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Fishfinder Help

So, here is the deal, I’m looking for a fishfinder to do everything. The only issue is portability and compatibility. Currently don’t have a large boat for fishing, but I do have a pontoon. I will be getting a boat, but not right now. Renting the boat larger boats is what I do at this point (having a hard time justifying $30,000 on a boat). I also head out to the coast to do some salmon/halibut/ling/other fishing and the finders on the boats are cheap at best. To top it off I want to ice fish too with the finder.

The fishfinder that I’m looking at is the Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 with the GPS and sonar. The system seems to have everything that I want and can be expanded in the future with the modules.

The finders on the boats that I use on the coast are newer Eagle finders and from what I have been seeing the Eagles might be compatible with the Lowrance plugins (Sonar & Power). Are Eagle and Lowrance different parts of the same company?

Making the Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 compatible with ice fishing seems easy enough by using the PPP-18I Ice Pack, but this is designed for the first gen of the HDS-5. Are the two Systems compatible Gen1 and Gen2?
If the Ice Pack is compatible that should solve my portability issue, now I just need a portable transducer. Is this something that is made for this model?

Last, but not least……….. Am I a crack head and everything I want is built into a model that I can pick up off the shelf? Anyone else trying anything like this? What would people recommend for what I want to do?

Yes I know that Lowrance can answer all my questions in about two minutes, but they are going to be biased.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM

HDS-5 is a good choice. I used one on the ice this year. They will link with other HDS units too so you only need one transducer. They will not be compatible with other lines. The connectors on these units will only work with blue fittings. They are compatible with some older models from Lowrance though(only ones that have blue connectors.).

Hope that helps.

you will also be able to add side imaging to the HDS units.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM

With the PPP-18I you will need an adapter cable for the HDS units I believe. I have the PPP-16I and it does not require the adapter because the transducer has the blue connector. The hds units are good units and should meet all your needs-and no I do not work for Lowrance.

The adapter might allow it to work with some other units but I am not sure about that. It will allow it to work with a ducer that normally arent used by the HDS.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Did a little research and found that Lowrance and Eagle are sister companies. This allows for the transducer cables from the Eagle will work with a simple adapter, but the power will not.

The hds-5 Gen1 & Gen2 have the same connections, software and are basically the same unit, Except for the faster processor and imaging capabilities. This means that the portable pack for the Gen1 will work with the Gen2 and it comes in the ice fishing and open water versions too.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Yup, and would be a pretty good choice. There might be rebates still for the Gen 1's still as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM

Definately and HDS 5.making it portable is extremely easy. You can buy off the shelf portable kits but I prefer to create my own. My HDS 10 is totally portable from my boat to the ice and where ever. Just had to buy a second transducer, a 12v gel cell battery and and and extra power cable. All cost about $120.00 At the fishing hole.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 AM

How are the maps that come with the lake insight model? Should I just get the base model and buy the maps from Navionics?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
How are the maps that come with the lake insight model? Should I just get the base model and buy the maps from Navionics?
Yep you got it!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
Buy the maps unless you get a good deal Some stores (BP) had/has the insight model on for $50.00 less than the basic. And save $50.00 towards buying the card anyway. Dont know which Gen it was though. I think it was Gen 2 but not sure.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Definately and HDS 5.making it portable is extremely easy. You can buy off the shelf portable kits but I prefer to create my own. My HDS 10 is totally portable from my boat to the ice and where ever. Just had to buy a second transducer, a 12v gel cell battery and and and extra power cable. All cost about $120.00 At the fishing hole.
Been thinking about you making the 10" model portable and might get the larger model... You have any pictures of how you made it portable?