Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Default hunting cougar near grande prairie?

hey guys was just wondering if anyone hunted cougars around gp? ive always wanted to try for one, dont have any hounds. just wodering if anyone ever see very many, ive only seen 1, 3 years ago. any tips or pointers would help. thanks guys.
Darrell
Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 PM

did you just finish watching Tom miranda fill his mountain lion tag in utah on wild tv like i did? gets me thinking about hunting them thats for sure,

not to sure haw manny of them are around the GP area, i heard there were two on wapiti bridge last year. i have not seen one but i guess that don't mean one hasent seen me. would love to get me one though.

im thinking a guy would need dogs to hunt them. would love to here more info on this thread
Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM

I know there was one around north of clairmont beginning of the week, and there has been a couple south of town, this side of the river.

Your best bet would be with dogs, as it would probably ruin your day following a trail to have one pounce on your from up in a tree.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM

First off, check and see if the quotas in the zones you want to hunt are full. If they aren't, start driving the roads every day and scratch out every set of cat tracks you cross. When you find some tracks that aren't marked or are in fresh snow, and go into a block of bush and don't come out, post on here that you have a cat blocked in and ready to chase. I'm sure you'll get some PM's. If not, send me a pm and I'll give you the name of a guy with hounds. You'll have to find the cat by yourself first, unless you want to pay full price for a guided hunt.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

iv lived here 23 years...im 23 years old. iv seen a handfull of cougars south of town...not many at all but i have seen ALOT of sign and alot of kills. I went out the other evening to try calling...mostly for wolves but i knew i was in prime cougar habitat. I didnt pick up my cougar tag cause i was unsure and i more just wanted wolf pictures. At the end of the evening i saw a dark object come out on the road 500m away, i thought it was a wolf but then i noticed the large tail flicking side to side. i hunkerd down and the kitty cat came to about 70m away, i snapped a quick photo and grabbed my rifle "it began to crouch and "stalk"...it took off into the bush "smelled my stench i presume"

But if you plan heading out id say your best bets would be side roads off of Nose, porcupine, hunt oil road, and way down the red rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigcat.jpg (24.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM

i seen 2 last winter on the canfor rd south of gp
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM

Default redrock

I seen one 3 years ago, down the redrock rd, on the porcupine!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 PM

i seen one 3 yrs ago on the 2lakes road and one on the road to bc past elmsworth seen a big one there on the alberta side same night seen a 6x7 bull elk working nights gerrr
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Default cougar

thanks guys for the info, yes i was watching the tom miranda show..ha ha. next days off in 2 weeks i might try a few rds. back south of town. i seen a couple of sets of tracks moose hunting but never the cat. have to get a try..
Darrell
Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Wink cougar

Just went on the cougar quota line and the zones south of gp is closed for male cats. Hard to tell if it is a male or female on the ground. Sorry for the news.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM

Can you tell me what the web site for the cougar quota is.

Thank you
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Can you tell me what the web site for the cougar quota is.

Thank you
Phone 1 800 661 3729