Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Bobcats And Lynx??

Seen some cat tracks while i was out yote hunting the other day and was just wondering what the regs where on these?? Checked the reg book and couldnt find a thing...phoned F&G and he couldnt really give me a straight yes or no as to whether they were legal game or not? Anybody know if they are legal to shoot??
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Lynx- no. Bobcat it's in the regs
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Default dont

Lynx and Bobcat are protected under the fur management act. Most areas in the north are managed under registered traplines, while a small portion of the south allows for a resident trappers permit (which still requires a course to obtain). There are some loopholes under landowner rights that may allow some harvest, but I would suggest caution until you can find a fish and wildlife office to give you a straight answer.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Default Green area?

i found the bobcat regs online...but upon reading further into i noticed something about yotes on public land known as the "green area" would they be reffering to the northern boreal areas??

Straight from the reg book!!

Coyote
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2009 to February 28, 2010, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from January 4, 2010 to February 28, 2010.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Lynx and Bobcat are protected under the fur management act. Most areas in the north are managed under registered traplines, while a small portion of the south allows for a resident trappers permit (which still requires a course to obtain). There are some loopholes under landowner rights that may allow some harvest, but I would suggest caution until you can find a fish and wildlife office to give you a straight answer.
There's a hunting season for non trappers in Alberta for bobcat...

Bobcat
A resident may, without a licence from November 1 - February 28, 2010, hunt (but not trap) bobcat in WMUs 102, 104, 106, 108, 112, 116, 118, 119 and in the portion of WMU 110 that lies east of highway 2 and south of highway 3. All kills must be registered at a Fish and Wildlife Division office.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Gone Hunting

The registration of hunted bobcat is a new change. I dont recall ever seeing that before.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
The registration of hunted bobcat is a new change. I dont recall ever seeing that before.
It was part of the 2009 regs.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Gone Hunting

I went back and had a look, and yes, I do now remember seeing the new change. I must be gettin old,,,, a concerning situation to be sure.

Surprising that F&W couldnt give you an answer on that Antelopeous...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM

it took him a good 5 minutes to look and he never gave me a straight answer by the end of the conversation. He said that he wasnt too sure, took my name and phone # and said if he found any information he would call back...no call, so i came on here because i knew there had to be someone on here that knew something about it.

But i still have one question that has gone un-answered!! What is the "Green Area"???

Quote from regs:

Coyote
A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2009 to February 28, 2010, and
2) in Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730), only from January 4, 2010 to February 28, 2010.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelopeous View Post
! What is the "Green Area"???
Crown land.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM

green area used to be the area's that sunday hunting was allowed in. However they changed the sunday hunting areas to include most of the southern wmu's. It is considered the northern zones. Generally north of highway 16. But some zones that border 16 are not green zones such as wmu 510. If you can find an old map from regs older than 2 years it should be marked what zones were open to sunday hunting. Those are the ones considered green zone.